No announcement yet.

New house in Melissa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldnt be thrilled about 14ga wire either...but its manageable, just dont go crazy on a single circuit. Did they seal the base plate to the slab? Looks like it...if they didnt, you should. Also, just double check all the wiring and make sure the outlets are where you want them. Also...have cat6 run to all the rooms

Comment

I know of a house that the electrians just recently put up to 17 outlets on each circuit. I would check yours because the inspector wont even look. I think code is 10.
      Also they had all the garage plugs on the same circuit. Make sure they are split so you can use more that one power tool at a time or a battery charger.
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

You might want to check the laminated beams where the a/c duct is ran through them. Looks like they have cut most of the beam out.

Comment

Nice crib! My only advice is enjoy it .

Comment

Originally posted by mustngacman View Post
            You might want to check the laminated beams where the a/c duct is ran through them. Looks like they have cut most of the beam out.
            Are you referring to the I-joists? I didn't see any glue lam beams, though I am on my phone. From the angle that picture is taken, the cuts look to be within spec. I don't remember the distance, but so long as they aren't within x inches of the end of a beam or the inside edge of an angle cut, they can take as much of the webbing as they need, so long as they don't damage the flange. I can pull one of my ilevel plans if the OP wants specific measurement/requirements.
            Originally posted by Leah
            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
              Nice crib! My only advice is enjoy it .
              This !

Comment

Never seen them take out so much. All the Laminate beams I have worked with was not more than a 3" hole in center from 2x4 to 2x4. But this is in Apartments. Just seems odd that they would be able to cut that much out.

Comment

Originally posted by mustngacman View Post
                  Never seen them take out so much. All the Laminate beams I have worked with was not more than a 3" hole in center from 2x4 to 2x4. But this is in Apartments. Just seems odd that they would be able to cut that much out.
                  those arent laminated beams...those are ijoists used as floor structure not to support the upper half of the house.

Comment

How can y'all tell it's 14ga? Good eyes, I guess. I was out there this morning for a walk through and counted the total number of 110V for outlets and lights at qty. 121. There are a total of (12) 110V feeds going into the panel. I can't confirm how many are on each one, but that's an avg. of (10) for each circuit.

Yes, they sealed the base plate to the slab. I had data drops put in the living room, study, media room, game room, master BR, garage and one of the upstairs bedrooms.

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                    I wouldnt be thrilled about 14ga wire either...but its manageable, just dont go crazy on a single circuit. Did they seal the base plate to the slab? Looks like it...if they didnt, you should. Also, just double check all the wiring and make sure the outlets are where you want them. Also...have cat6 run to all the rooms

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
                      How can y'all tell it's 14ga?
                      By the color: 14 gauge wire is white, 12 is yellow, 10 is orange

Comment

Dang only 12 120v. On my brothers house he just about filled up 2 42 circuit 200a panels.
                        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

The whole house is wired up using 1 200A panel. There are 6 more GFCI 120v circuits and 3 220v. Today they're adding 4 more 120v for some canned lighting and 3 more 220v for the garage. It'll be done after that. Sheetrock going up next!

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Hatton View Post
                            The whole house is wired up using 1 200A panel. There are 6 more GFCI 120v circuits and 3 220v. Today they're adding 4 more 120v for some canned lighting and 3 more 220v for the garage. It'll be done after that. Sheetrock going up next!
                            Honestly Im sure it is fine. The only downside is having shit trip a breaker if you overload the 14ga 15amp breakers. A vacuum and something like a beefy computer could really load up that single circuit. If the inspector lets the 14ga fly, I would probably be ok with it. Just isnt much more money to run 12ga. I think I paid $60 for a roll of 12ga vs $40 for a roll of 14ga when I wired my house. My 2100sqft over wired (each room is on its own light and power circuit) used something like 4 rolls of 12ga and 2 rolls of 14ga. So you are talking $80 difference in wiring.

Just make sure things are sealed up well around windows, any jack stud to king stud joints, baseplate to slab, corner studs, etc. You REALLY want to do your best on air sealing now before sheetrock goes up. I would make sure all the wiring holes in the headers (and studs if you can) are foamed to seal attic are from the walls. Air sealing can save you 25% on your heating/cooling and is really best to try and do before drywall. Much harder after. it will only cost you $20-30 in materials and a couple hours of work.

couple videos on air sealing:

this one is overkill and you wont use the product but shows lots of places to try and air seal.

Really like this guys videos and he has been a great go to when remodeling my own house:
                            Last edited by 8mpg; 09-02-2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

They've got orange foam insulation all over the place where they went around and sealed penetrations through the tyvek, through the headers, around windows, etc. The house is an Energy Star certified home and has gone through the inspection for that already. Below is a link to all of the things they look at.

ENERGY STAR makes it easy for consumers and businesses to save money and protect the environment.

As far as the electrical, it's been inspected as well. It may not be ideal, but there's not much I can do about it now. Perhaps I would have made some revisions if I knew beforehand, but I'm sure it'll be ok. If it trips breakers doing fairly common, frequent tasks, I'll get them to come fix it!

Comment

You should enjoy 75 going to and fro.

Comment

Working...
                                X