Water in oil and no compression in one cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in oil and no compression in one cylinder

My buddy has a 93 fox body with a 347. He noticed some water in his oil and assumed a bad head gasket. He replaced both head gaskets, and is still getting water in the oil.

He did a compression test today and has zero compression in the #6 cylinder.

He did the head gasket job right, thread sealer, resurfaced heads, new valve seals, torqued correctly, etc. Everything looked great when doing the gaskets, other than #6 looking like it had been steam cleaned compared to the others.

He's also going to do a leak down test, but not sure that's going to tell him anything he doesn't already know.

Any suggestions on what else to check short of a complete tear down? Possible cracked block? Oddly enough, it still sounds and runs great.

Head needs to come off. Double check to see if true. Do you know if the heads were pressure tested? Examine head gasket for any sort of blow out. Could also be a pinhole in a cylinder wall.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
      Head needs to come off. Double check to see if true. Do you know if the heads were pressure tested? Examine head gasket for any sort of blow out. Could also be a pinhole in a cylinder wall.
      Thanks. I don't know if the heads were pressure tested, but I will ask. He did take them to a machine shop to have them resurfaced and new valve seals installed and the machine shop said they looked good. They're aluminum Trick Flow heads.

Comment

Ask him if they just did a visual check for cracks on the head or did they use the aluminum version of the magna flux test? They use a dye instead of iron particles to detect cracks

Comment

Tell Lee I said hi.

Comment

Everything with the heads checked out. When doing a leak down test on this cylinder, air hisses out through the lifters so it appears the short block is toast. Looks like another Fox is about to get a LS Swap.

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
            Tell Lee I said hi.

Comment

Well it should run good with an LSX. He doesn't want to drop in a Windsor?

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                Well it should run good with an LSX. He doesn't want to drop in a Windsor?
                Nope, I don't think so. He's wanting some newer tech, better induction and computer controls.

Comment

What's he want for his old junk parts?
                  Originally posted by Marisa
                  we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Shipping from California will kill any deals.

Comment

Working...
                    X