Preamble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamble

Sometimes it is just good to read it and think of what this country is supposed to be about.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Since I was in grade school ( a long time ago), I've always been amazed at how one short paragraph can say so much. We had to memorize it in the 3rd grade. I'll bet they don't do that anymore.

Comment

We also memorized The Gettysburg Address.

Unrelated to our history, but are grade school students required to memorize multiplication tables any more

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post

Unrelated to our history, but are grade school students required to memorize multiplication tables any more
        I'm raising an 8-year-old nephew, and at least they have memorized those.

Comment

How else do you remember it?

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            How else do you remember it?
            History or multiplication tables?

Comment

History or multiplication tables?
              The multiplication table.

Comment

calculator

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                  The multiplication table.
                  Originally posted by Denny View Post
                  calculator
                  Yes, I wouldm't have been surprised to find that memorizing multiplication tables, along with calculating square roots or long division, was no longer required due to widespread availablity of cheap calculators.

Comment

That would be sad if that is the case.

Comment

Yes, I wouldm't have been surprised to find that memorizing multiplication tables, along with calculating square roots or long division, was no longer required due to widespread availablity of cheap calculators.
                      Granted my kid is in private school, but at the third grade level in the school he is in, calculators aren't allowed. And they are doing difficult long division. I'd bet in public school, that not only are calculators allowed, but they are a requirement on the school supply list.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        Granted my kid is in private school, but at the third grade level in the school he is in, calculators aren't allowed. And they are doing difficult long division. I'd bet in public school, that not only are calculators allowed, but they are a requirement on the school supply list.
                        Not in 3rd grade.

Comment

Don't think my oldest could use a calculator until 9th grade. She does have a TI-Nspire graphing calc and can program the fuck out of it.

Hell, she can figure out net present value and internal rate of return and she understands what it means.

Calculators aren't bad as long as you understand the concepts and what you are trying to derive.

Yes, she did have to memorize the multiplication tables and I filled her head with all the short cuts as well.

My daughter's fav 1st grade one for teaching nines (single digit)...

Hold up your ten fingers and put down the finger that is represented by the second number... and that is your answer.
                          Originally posted by Denny
                          I call dibs on Don's balls!

Comment

How many of you old farts (like me) remember this one? I still catch myself singing it.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                              calculator
                              Except when you need to think quickly and don't have a calculator around.

Comment

Working...
                              X