Business Desktop Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Desktop Suggestions

I don't know anything about what I need in a desktop. I'm looking for one that will run Office, internet and google earth quickly with a wide screen monitor for under $800. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using about a 4yr old laptop, so I'm sure anything would be better, but I like to get the most value for my money, vs trusting some salesman at a big box store.

I'll see what I can find when I go on break this evening.

Comment

Big fan of the little NUC machines. Small, silent, and petty cheap.

Comment

Walmart off the shelf
        WH

Comment

Are you planning to keep your laptop? If not, how often did you use it as a laptop. Going from a laptop to a 100% fixed desktop is going to have a lot of drawbacks. However, if your laptop says on your deskto 100% of the time, go for it.

Jw33’s suggestion of a NUC isn’t a bad one but make sure it can support the resolution (and refresh rate) of the monitor you want. They all use integrated intel graphics. My only question there is how good is Intel support when something goes wrong.

IMO Dell’s quality has gone up but at the end of the day most PC’s are roughly the same under the hood. You need to look at who can support you better when something goes wrong. You also should look for the specs that will give you the performance you want for a long time. I would suggest a model with a solid state drive, a Core i5 processor, and at least 8GB or RAM. Wide screen monitors are cheap. I’ve seen 27” displays for under $200. The Dell SE2717H is only $189 today. It’s not a performer but that’s not what you need/want.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will be keeping the laptop as a backup and in the last 5 years I might have taken it home 2-3 times, so switching to a desk top isn't a big deal for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
              IMO Dell’s quality has gone up but at the end of the day most PC’s are roughly the same under the hood. You need to look at who can support you better when something goes wrong. You also should look for the specs that will give you the performance you want for a long time. I would suggest a model with a solid state drive, a Core i5 processor, and at least 8GB or RAM. Wide screen monitors are cheap. I’ve seen 27” displays for under $200. The Dell SE2717H is only $189 today. It’s not a performer but that’s not what you need/want.
              Would something like this get the job done and keep me up to date for a few years?

Comment

If I can make a suggestion.... spend a little more for a dual display supported video card and get dual monitors. You'll never go back to a single monitor set up.

Comment

Got the new computer up and running, unfortunately I don't have the desk space to do dual screens, but holy cow I can believe how big this 27" is and how much faster this desk top runs.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                    If I can make a suggestion.... spend a little more for a dual display supported video card and get dual monitors. You'll never go back to a single monitor set up.
                    34" ultra wide screens will make you seriously consider a single display..

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                      Would something like this get the job done and keep me up to date for a few years?

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/dell-2...ec:product:1:3
                      Sorry that I didn't reply back sooner. It should be fine for your use. I would consider upgrading the Hard Drive to a Solid State drive at some point. You won't believe how fast those things are. Consider upgrading the graphics card if you have problems with video playback when using full screen. Otherwise, keep on truckin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                        34" ultra wide screens will make you seriously consider a single display..

Yeah, I bet that's nice. We have someone at work that has a similar single monitor setup. I think it even has the capability to split it into two separate "displays".

I have 2 22" end of life monitors from work so I haven't had the urge(or need) to buy something like this.

Comment

Here's my dual 34" ultra wide set up. Can break it into 8 displays.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yall and your baller monitors. I'm rockin a hand me down 28" Asus. It's the biggest monitor I've ever used and works quite well with me running a VM for malware analysis and research.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                              Yall and your baller monitors. I'm rockin a hand me down 28" Asus. It's the biggest monitor I've ever used and works quite well with me running a VM for malware analysis and research.
                              You good at fixing Monitors? I have a 28" Asus that only works if you squeeze the top of the monitor. You can have it if you want to mess with it.

FYI I paid $750 for both of those monitors and the stand.

The IT guy at my work goes through computer shit like crazy. He paid $2500 for that set up 7 months ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X