DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Technology Rules

Technology Rules iPhone suxx, Q/A for all computer, networking, phone, and gaming issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 05:20 AM   #1
Darren M
Horse Trader
 
Darren M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Aledo
Posts: 6,085
Default DevOps anyone

Anyone actively utilizing DevOps, or DevSecOps, or other variation, in the software deployments at work? I don't want to get into any PI but would like to have a general conversation, bitch session, Q&A, area. The concept of multiple deploys a day is obviously facinating and desirable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.
Darren M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member
 
Tx Redneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Posts: 14,381
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck
Default

We do, but I'm just far enough removed that I can't answer a single question.
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
abecx
Sup.
 
abecx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,009
Send a message via AIM to abecx
Default

DevOps is where my job responsibilities lead me to the most.
abecx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
Gargamel
Eating Smurfette Since 07
 
Gargamel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,678
Default

You do not want to talk to the folks at the DevOps team for my organization....

To them, beta testing consists of verifying that the server boots up.
__________________
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #5
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,786
Default

My company (like so many others) seems to think you just say that it's DevOps and all the sudden you are. It's also a slap in the face to engineers like myself who have dedicated a decade + to a certain skill set to become a SME and now you should just cross train this other guy with absolutely no experience in the area in a matter of weeks... then he/she will be just fine.

I see it being great for smaller to medium sized businesses where there's a lot of home grown stuff and a budget that means you must have a bunch of jack of all trades, but large enterprises with specialty stuff it's best just to keep feeding the rope while they hang themselves cause you're not gonna convince them the buzzword is bad.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
46Tbird
Yip Yip Yip
 
46Tbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 40,501
Default

My title is 'Principal DevOps Architect' for a consulting company. We help our clients reach what level of "DevOps" fits their needs. It is impossible to nail down a global definition of what the word means, and suffice to say most companies are nowhere near realizing their potential to deliver "it" in any meaningful way. Yeah getting to "it" always takes a certain amount of tooling and process, but it also takes diligence and commitment and trust. It's interesting how much of the "DevOps" challenges are really just the mindsets of the people tasked with implementing it. I could make the case that it is more of a more cultural shift than a technical one.
__________________
When the government pays, the government controls.
46Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
My title is 'Principal DevOps Architect' for a consulting company. We help our clients reach what level of "DevOps" fits their needs. It is impossible to nail down a global definition of what the word means, and suffice to say most companies are nowhere near realizing their potential to deliver "it" in any meaningful way. Yeah getting to "it" always takes a certain amount of tooling and process, but it also takes diligence and commitment and trust. It's interesting how much of the "DevOps" challenges are really just the mindsets of the people tasked with implementing it. I could make the case that it is more of a more cultural shift than a technical one.
It's a cultural shift for the engineers/architects/developers/etc... but it's a total lack of understanding at the leadership levels.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
46Tbird
Yip Yip Yip
 
46Tbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 40,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
It's a cultural shift for the engineers/architects/developers/etc... but it's a total lack of understanding at the leadership levels.
They want more features delivered reliably, faster, and with less risk. What else do they need to understand?
__________________
When the government pays, the government controls.
46Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #9
mustang_revival
Lifer
 
mustang_revival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Keeping that vibe alive
Posts: 4,405
Default

Agree it is a huge culture shift.

Much easier to implement when your dealing with static data, dynamic data many times leads down the road of application rewrite.
__________________
WRX

mustang_revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
Silverback
It's all in the reflexes
 
Silverback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: On the Road
Posts: 18,528
Default

I'm a "Cloud Service Delivery Manager" for AWS's AMS product... (AWS Managed Services). We're basically the Operations side of DevOps for companies that don't have anyone in their organization up to speed on operating in the cloud. We backup/patch/monitor/secure/work typical ITIL requests/incidents/changes for the customer in their environment. Which allows them to focus on the core business and development in house.

I'm the people person who the customer escalates to
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #11
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member
 
Craizie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
I'm a "Cloud Service Delivery Manager" for AWS's AMS product... (AWS Managed Services). We're basically the Operations side of DevOps for companies that don't have anyone in their organization up to speed on operating in the cloud. We backup/patch/monitor/secure/work typical ITIL requests/incidents/changes for the customer in their environment. Which allows them to focus on the core business and development in house.

I'm the people person who the customer escalates to
So you physically take the specs from the customer?
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
Silverback
It's all in the reflexes
 
Silverback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: On the Road
Posts: 18,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
So you physically take the specs from the customer?
I donít even do that.
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #13
Craizie
Cracka
VIP Member
 
Craizie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
I donít even do that.
What would you say you do here?
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
bird_dog0347
Punk Ass Douche
 
bird_dog0347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Elm
Posts: 2,786
Default

He deals with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo
bird_dog0347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
Gargamel
Eating Smurfette Since 07
 
Gargamel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
He deals with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to!
Nice...
__________________
Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.