No announcement yet.

Lowdown on Off-road parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I've been itching to try my truck on some more serious off roading. I've done it around my area (Mountain Creek Lake) but it's usually a very short distance (¼ to ½ mile) and it's in the open. I've looked at some videos for Hidden Falls and one of my concerns is how narrow some of the trails are and I don't really want to beat the body/paint of my truck up if I can help it. Are they all like this? Are any/some of the trails at these off road parks more open?

This is on an F150 FX4 if it makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
      Ask White88, he's some kind of Jeep whisperer.

He leans down to a shitty jeeps tailpipe, whispers into it, and all the sudden its badass.

Just don't go to that one where that guy left his jeep overnight, and they came and stole all his stuff. You know the one.
      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
        So I've been itching to try my truck on some more serious off roading. I've done it around my area (Mountain Creek Lake) but it's usually a very short distance (¼ to ½ mile) and it's in the open. I've looked at some videos for Hidden Falls and one of my concerns is how narrow some of the trails are and I don't really want to beat the body/paint of my truck up if I can help it. Are they all like this? Are any/some of the trails at these off road parks more open?

This is on an F150 FX4 if it makes a difference.
        There will almost always be a way around the tighter obstacles. There is still a fair chance of getting scratches though.

Comment

I've gone out to Bridgeport a couple times now and it's been fun.

Jose - If you want to go out there after the new year, I'd be interested. I don't have the winch yet but have tow straps and such to get you out. [emoji14]

Some pics just because..

Comment

I took a bunch of video with the GoPro (just left it on and running, you can see it in the windshield in the pic of Aly above). If I can remember I will put the SD card in my phone and bring it Saturday and you can check it out.

Comment

Did you go on any of the hard trails?

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                Did you go on any of the hard trails?
                A couple but not the huge rock crawling area or anything. Only did a little damage. I don't sit very high and don't have real sliders or good skid plates, so anything with rocks larger than my tires were bypassed.

Except one, that chewed the shit out of one of my wheels.

Comment

Thanks BP and Craig! Ya I'll definitely be interested in going out there with you next month if the weather is good and I'm not on call at work. I'll talk to you more on Saturday and ya definitely bring the card, I'd like to check it out.

Comment

Forgot to ask, and I know I looked for it before but don't know where the link is now, but you mentioned a "sticker" that you need to buy in order to access some of these off road parks. Is that needed for Bridgeport and where can I buy one?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                      Forgot to ask, and I know I looked for it before but don't know where the link is now, but you mentioned a "sticker" that you need to buy in order to access some of these off road parks. Is that needed for Bridgeport and where can I buy one?
                      You do need it at Bridgeport, and Gilmer too I believe. Basically any that are on 'public' land, from what I understood. I think I read they work at some out of state parks too.

I got mine at Grubbs Nissan (parts dept). More details here: http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/te...exas-ohv-decal

Comment

Agree that Bridgeport is a good day trip. But it’s definitely worth it to take the whole weekend and go to Gilmer
                        07 f250-family truckster
                        08 Denali -baby hauler
                        52 f1-rust bucket
                        05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                        livin the double-wide dream

Comment

I'm in Runaway Bay (basically Bridgeport) for the next couple of months. My truck is at home in CO, but I'm down for riding shotgun if any of you want to come run trails up here. Hit me up! I'm jonesin' for some off-roadin'.

Comment

Are there any mild trails at Bridgeport that I can take an almost stock f150 4x4?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                              Are there any mild trails at Bridgeport that I can take an almost stock f150 4x4?
                              I haven't been there myself, but I assume they have a wide range of stuff, including some really tame trails to get warmed up on. I've also come to realize over the years that a stock truck with decent tires can usually do more than most people expect, depending on driver skill and courage. I'd just stay out of the mud where possible.

I'm debating on whether or not to go up to CO and bring my truck back down, and if I do that, I'll surely go out there a few times. Maybe Gilmer, too.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                                I'm in Runaway Bay (basically Bridgeport) for the next couple of months. My truck is at home in CO, but I'm down for riding shotgun if any of you want to come run trails up here. Hit me up! I'm jonesin' for some off-roadin'.
                                Gonna be ready for Moab?

Maybe I'll bring the Mrs. out so the womenz can hang while we duck out to the park.. Sounds like a fun Saturday. Or, once in a while you can camp overnight.. Come up and hang, and the women can come out just to camp.

Comment

Working...
                                X