Opinions on modifications to your EDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on modifications to your EDC

Just wanting to hear some of your opinions on whether modifications to your EDC is a bad idea or not. I'm sure there's been situations where someone has done a trigger job, or some other custom work for the sake of making their gun perform and/or look better, then when it was used for self defense the prosecutor used that to make them look like they took a normal gun and made it into a purpose-built murder weapon.

The guy that i took my chl with talked about this. He said you'll be more questioned about the legality of the shot vs the equipment used. If it gets passed the grand jury on the legality then the equipment could play a factor but that's purely skeptical at that.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

General opinion seems to be the law doesn't care about a legal shoot and will see you as a murderous assassin hellbent on death if you modify a carry weapon in any way. Same thing for carrying reloads. However, this all seems to be speculation by armchair lawyers with internet experience and google expertise. Personally I think it is a bunch of b.s., especially the modifications part. I don't see anything in Texas law saying either is illegal, so that shouldn't matter in trial. I have never modified a carry weapon, but it is out of concern for reliability over what a jury might think; I am certain I will only use it if it is legal to shoot; any doubt on that and you should rethink carry. As for ammo, that is probably more likely to be questioned, but still unlikely I think. However, I still opt for factory carry ammo for reliability and expansion/penetration. Figure factory loads are better developed for defense than what I could come up with. Just my two cents.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I have replaced the trigger and mag release on my glock 19 I use for carry. Only to take the slop out of the stock trigger still the original pull and the mag release because my fat fingers have a hard time pushing the oem one. I have also herd from a coworker that modifying a CC is bad cause when you do use it they take that weapon take it all apart and make note of all parts both aftermarket and original and if it made it to a jury trial the prosecutor might try and use that to make you look bad and how your a killer only out for blood. The way I look at it. I'm only going to pull my weapon when I'm completely out of options and at that point it's most likely going to be my story over theirs and if they are dead then it's only my story. I always keep my wits about me out in public and always watch what's going on around me. And if something doesn't sniff right I'll get out or space myself apart from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Only thing I've ever done to my CCW was put a Hogue grip on my old Kel Tec PF9 to soften the recoil of the +p PDX1 loads I was carrying. Nothing else. I've heard and read all over the always correct internet that ANY modifications to a CCW raise the chance that a prosecutor will say you tried to increase the lethality of the gun to cause more harm than would have otherwise occurred in a self defense scenario. I think its all bullshit but you never know. Depends on how shady the prosecutor or attorney is and how hell bent they are at making you look like a psycho with a gun. My XDS shoots just fine the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
            I have replaced the trigger and mag release on my glock 19 I use for carry. Only to take the slop out of the stock trigger still the original pull and the mag release because my fat fingers have a hard time pushing the oem one. I have also herd from a coworker that modifying a CC is bad cause when you do use it they take that weapon take it all apart and make note of all parts both aftermarket and original and if it made it to a jury trial the prosecutor might try and use that to make you look bad and how your a killer only out for blood. The way I look at it. I'm only going to pull my weapon when I'm completely out of options and at that point it's most likely going to be my story over theirs and if they are dead then it's only my story. I always keep my wits about me out in public and always watch what's going on around me. And if something doesn't sniff right I'll get out or space myself apart from it.

Try buying a proper EDC. No needs for mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
              If a glock 19 isn't a proper EDC, I don't know what is.
              2012 GT500

Comment

Replaced springs with stiffer ones and a longer ported barrel on my glock 29 . Done this for better control and like shooting buffalo bore hard cast Ammo . If I have to use it I want it to do the job I got it for. In TN I don't worry about it . Some other states it might be brought up in court . Just my opinion

Comment

I have mods on almost all of my carry guns. What got me to thinking about this is that I just put a corny "Zombie Outbreak Response Team" slide backplate on my Glock 43. Just a goofy aesthetic mod because I like that sort of stuff. I also have functional/safety improvement mods like Tru Glo night sights, a siderlock trigger, plus 2 mag, and talon grip on it. To complete the zombie theme I have Hornady Zombie Max ammo in it. So if I ever use this thing in self defense, I could see some over-zealous prosecutor using the zombie thing to make me look like I not in touch with reality and I'm just waiting for the opportunity to shoot someone so I can pretend I'm in an episode of Walking Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post

This

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post

Well I was using my kimber uc2 for my CCW for years but I got to thinking about it if I were to have to use it to goes away for some time and I'm out a ccw and that's 1000 I might not see back or if I do get it back it's going to be a bag of parts that I'll have to take to a gunsmith to put back together. Or I can use the $500 glock and if it comes back in a bag I know I can put it back together.

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
                        So if I ever use this thing in self defense, I could see some over-zealous prosecutor using the zombie thing to make me look like I not in touch with reality and I'm just waiting for the opportunity to shoot someone so I can pretend I'm in an episode of Walking Dead.
                        Given the current state of mind a lot of these loony liberals are living in....that wouldn't surprise me even slightly. Sad how true that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                          Glock, the best money can buy, after I mod the shit out of it because all the controls suck balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Buick355 View Post
                            I have mods on almost all of my carry guns. What got me to thinking about this is that I just put a corny on my Glock 43. Just a goofy aesthetic mod because I like that sort of stuff. I also have functional/safety improvement mods like Tru Glo night sights, a siderlock trigger, plus 2 mag, and talon grip on it. To complete the zombie theme I have Hornady Zombie Max ammo in it. So if I ever use this thing in self defense, I could see some over-zealous prosecutor using the zombie thing to make me look like I not in touch with reality and I'm just waiting for the opportunity to shoot someone so I can pretend I'm in an episode of Walking Dead.
                            In a criminal case, if it is a good shoot - you have no worries. A civil case on the other-hand could go from mild to wild depending on the plaintiff's lawyer. "Zombie Outbreak Response Team" slide back-plate could be a bone of contention. Modified internals most certainly would be.

Comment

Working...
                            X