Buyer's Guide to Pistol Red Dots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyer's Guide to Pistol Red Dots

This is my opinion and geared towards an EDC pistol.

1. Don't buy junk. I have had way too many give up after a few hundred rounds. My favorites are: Trijicon, Leupold, Doctor, and some Vortex. Stay away from Burris, EOtech, Sig Sauer, Sightmark, Holosun, etc. They simply do not last.

2. Get low profile slide mounted sight. You want to bring your pistol up and have your dot present itself in your natural point of aim. If the sight is too high, you will constantly be "chasing the dot."

3. Tube sights are great on carbines, and hunting revolvers. They are too bulky to try to carry and conceal. Also they give you tunnel vision which is a very bad thing in a dynamic situation.

3. Have your slide milled (or buy a slide) so you can set up to co-witness with iron sights. Good on Glocks, Sigs, FN, and H&Ks. (1911's not so much. Not enough room for both rear iron sight and a red dot.)

4. There are some adapter plates that work OK, but a milled slide is lower profile is easier to carry. And things don't come loose as bad.

5. Buy a good holster. Many Kydex holsters can be pressed into service by cutting out a notch for the red dot.

Comment

To add to this. I have a Trijicon RMR on my 19. I ended up with an RM07 which is a 6.5 MOA dot. I really wish I would've gone with the RM06 3.25 MOA
      Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
      It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
        To add to this. I have a Trijicon RMR on my 19. I ended up with an RM07 which is a 6.5 MOA dot. I really wish I would've gone with the RM06 3.25 MOA
        Surprised to hear that. I am looking at the RM07 and was thinking that the bigger dot would be easier to pick up fast than the smaller dot. Do you need/want to shoot at distances where the dot is covering too much of the target?
        2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Inaugural Edition
        2011 Harley Davidson F150
        2003 Harley Davidson Road King 100th Anniversary Edition

Comment

Originally posted by TexasVert View Post
          Surprised to hear that. I am looking at the RM07 and was thinking that the bigger dot would be easier to pick up fast than the smaller dot. Do you need/want to shoot at distances where the dot is covering too much of the target?
          Yes. You'd be surprised how much the dot covers of a B8 at 25. It's still easily doable. Center of the dot is center of the dot. But 3.25 would be a bit better IMO
          Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
          It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Working...
          X