Old store brand rifles and shotguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old store brand rifles and shotguns

So, I have cheap taste when it comes to lots of stuff. Several years ago I started collecting old "store brand" rifles and shotguns. You know the ones, J.C Higgins, Sears and Roebuck, Montgomery Ward's western field, Western auto, coast to coast, etc.

They often have a history, with matching wear, along with being robust and affordable. I enjoy researching the original manufacturer ( often big names like Mossberg, High standard, or Ive heard, compilation pieces from Fabrique Nationale)

I've got a few of these things in .22 and various shotgun gauges. Several of the shotguns are bolt action and the 22s are semi, bolt and pump.

I was curious if anyone else had an interest in them or any info or stories on old store brand models?
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-22-2017, 09:08 PM.

My last acquisition was a two-fer.
    I had to have the 1950's Sears Model 20 pump because it had perfect wear on the bluing and the action is so buttery, just its own weight racks it all the way back, when just releasing the bolt.
    It was made by High Standard and is a pretty heavy duty action. It is so smooth to cycle, I don't even want to fondle my mossbergs or 870's anymore.

I struck a deal by pairing it with an old Harrington & Richardson 10ga and gave $230 for both. I think I'm gonna get some slugs to try out in the 10 ga. Those have to have some serious energy.

Comment

I have an old, Sears, Ted Williams Special 12ga I was given 20+yrs ago. It's a decent pump shotty and has a variable choke. I'll snap some pics.

Comment

I remember the Ted Williams stuff. I think that was the last name Sears ever sold firearms and ammo under.
        Last edited by Jimbo; 04-22-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
          I remember the Ted Williams stuff. I that that was the last name Sears ever sold firearms and ammo under.
          One moment.

Comment

Comment

One of mine is a Westernfield 12ga pump with that variable choke, great bird and clay gun.
              The manufacturer was Mossberg , but the only marking on it is "M550" under the action. I got bored one day and threw a 500 stock set and riot barrel on it just to see how it fit.
              Found a blurry picture,

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post

What model, is it the Winchester?

Comment

I couldn't find a picture, but one of the bolt actions is a short 12ga external magazine fed slug gun and its easily the most painful to shoot. It kicks like a retarded mule.
                  It's an M172 Westernfield model like this one:

Comment

My house gun is a western field model 30, 12 gauge cut down to 18.5", love the old slam fire guns. My dad used to pick them up at the pawn shops on the cheap with broken springs usually. I've got a pair of J.C. Higgins 12 gauges that need a new home at some point.
                    Last edited by shumpertdavid; 04-23-2017, 07:12 AM.

Comment

What model, is it the Winchester?
                      Crap, sorry, I didn't realize they'd be thumbnails like that. I'm not real sure, but it does resemble a Winchester.

Comment

I have my grandfather's SxS Stevens in 16 ga and I picked up a JC Higgins bolt in 12 gauge from a friend of my dad's and reblued it and refinished the stock. I also have my great uncles 12 ga SxS hammered break action from 1897 that was made in Belgium and sold in a 5 'n Dime in NYC.

I love the old house brand stuff, it's just as robust as the name brand guy (I have some older Remingtons and Winchesters too)

I think my favorite to shoot is grandpa's 16ga, but the most interesting is the H&R 10Ga that was sawn off at 18.5".

I love the stories that come with the old guns as much as the guns.

My great uncle's gun was shipped home to my great grandmother after he was found stabbed to death in a hotel room in NYC. They think he was fooling around with someone's old lady.

The 16 ga from my grandfather was bought in Tulsa in the 50's for general hunting.

The bolt 12 ga Higgins was a former Marine that went to church with the guy I bought it from. when he passed the kids were fighting over the guns, so his widow gave them each one, and sold the rest. It was in poor shape, but I promised her I would fix it up. His SSN was scratched into the magwell under the stock, I would assume for ID purposes if it was ever stolen.

I've got a few others. I need so sit down and take a few pics and write out the history of my guns so that it's not lost when I go.

I'll put up a few pics of the hoard when I get home.
                        G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                          My house gun is a western field model 30, 12 gauge cut down to 18.5", love the old slam fire guns. My dad used to pick them up at the pawn shops on the cheap with broken springs usually. I've got a pair of J.C. Higgins 12 gauges that need a new home at some point.
                          Make, model, money?
                          G'Day Mate

Comment

I struck a deal by pairing it with an old Harrington & Richardson 10ga and gave $230 for both. I think I'm gonna get some slugs to try out in the 10 ga. Those have to have some serious energy.

When you find slugs for it, please let me know. I've only been able to find BB and OOBK for mine.

It's a handful with the BB, I could only imagine a slug out of it.
                            G'Day Mate

Comment

I've seen a few online. I just planned on ordering them that way.
                              Gauge: 10
                              Length: 3 1/2"
                              Slug Type: Hollow Point
                              Grains: 766
                              Velocity (FPS): 1,280
                              Muzzle Energy (Ft. / Lbs.): 2,785
                              Sportsman's Guide carries top-quality discount Outdoor and Hunting Gear, Guns, Ammo, Fishing Supplies and more - all at great low prices!

Comment

Working...
                              X