going from iP4 to Galaxy SIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
    I wish at times I could root my SIII. but I prefer to have my work email over a rooted phone
    Why wouldn't you be able to get your work email on a rooted phone?

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
      Why wouldn't you be able to get your work email on a rooted phone?
      We use Good Link software to connect to exchange servers. Outlook anywhere is blocked on purpose. Dell only allows connectivity via good link with personal phones so that they have the option for a remote wipe, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        Wait. So your android device has iPhone buttons? I'm going to assume it didn't ship like that.

<--- confused. If you wanted it to look/act like an iPhone, why not buy one?
        That's likely MIUI, and if it is, it's a Chinese kang of CM with closed sourced code that violates GPL. I'm not sure why so many like it since it does make it look so much like an iPhone, but that's the beauty of Android, you can make it look however you want. Can your phone/tab do that?

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

I like/use some of the ICS UI, some of the iPhone Icon's, some other random one-off apps/stuff; and I love a platform that lets me blend the recipe just like I want it

@Silverback, why would root break your work mail? I'm using ICS 'email' (using IMAP), what are you using?

--Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJ View Post
            I like/use some of the ICS UI, some of the iPhone Icon's, some other random one-off apps/stuff; and I love a platform that lets me blend the recipe just like I want it

@Silverback, why would root break your work mail? I'm using ICS 'email' (using IMAP), what are you using?

--Scott
            The good software checks to see if the phone is rooted, running a stock rom, and if it isn't, it disables itself, and you have to request a new code from our internal registration site for good software, after you put the phone back to stock.

I've talked with the exchange guys at Dell and there isn't a way around it, just like we can't use lync from personal devices, only corporate owned blackberries and corporate owned Dell Venue Pros.

Comment

The good software checks to see if the phone is rooted, running a stock rom, and if it isn't, it disables itself, and you have to request a new code from our internal registration site for good software, after you put the phone back to stock.

I've talked with the exchange guys at Dell and there isn't a way around it, just like we can't use lync from personal devices, only corporate owned blackberries and corporate owned Dell Venue Pros.
              ah ha, bummer!

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                That's likely MIUI, and if it is, it's a Chinese kang of CM with closed sourced code that violates GPL. I'm not sure why so many like it since it does make it look so much like an iPhone, but that's the beauty of Android, you can make it look however you want. Can your phone/tab do that?

Just saw this post, and I'm not sure, both my phone and tablet do everything I need them to in stock form.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post

my jailbroken iPhone4 had an Android lock page/clock/weather widget... so yeah

However, I get your point.

Matt, tell your employer, "that's gay".

Comment

It's Dell, I'm sure trying to manage 100,000 email accounts, etc can't be easy or fun

Comment

If I had an iPhone, I'd probably put a splash of android on it too, just for fun

I like both devices (apple v. google), both do certain stuff really well. At the end of the day, I like the 'make it however you want it'-ness that android has.

Comment

It's Dell, I'm sure trying to manage 100,000 email accounts, etc can't be easy or fun
                        Fuck those guys. Tell them to put serial ports back on all their laptops too.... fuckers

and Yahoo! has more email accounts than Dell and it works fine there, just sayin'

Comment

wouldn't go back to an iPhone now that I installed Swiftkey Flow and discovered ChompSMS(BiteSMS for iPhone). This phone is nearly perfect now. Unrooted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                            My s3 is the biggest pos phone ive ever had haha. Drops calls constantly, randomly blacks out and need the battery taken out and rebooted(apparently this is common).

I still like it, but my old droid incredible had a better web browser, keyboard, basically everything except screen size.
                            is the auto brightness on? could be causing the random blackouts.

Comment

Alright, I've been on the Android bandwagon for 5 years or so. However, the slow accumulation of Macbook Pros, iPads and putting family on the iPhones - bit the bullet on an iPhone 5.

It's like a Glock vs XD/Other gun. I just don't get the haterade on either side. Admittedly I've only been on the iPhone side for a week, but here is the quickest summary I can do...

In no real order

iPhone Pros:
                              Seems like most apps are similar across both platforms, but it seems like they did a better job of polishing up the iPhone apps compared to droid.

I run NO batter preservation apps and the battery life is phenomenal (sp?) compared to any Droid I had, running JuiceDefender highly customized and tweaked.

iTunes - yeah, I just discovered the joy of it with iCloud and having numerous Apple devices

I have 2 newer model Hondas and their iXXXX integration is really good, so I enjoy this aspect. Compared to bluetooth only via android.

Siri is very useful compared to the spotty usefulness/functionality of any android device I had. IMO, android did this better and first - but Siri is better at this stage.

Facetime

Overall, less glitches. I'm not saying bugs or terrible things - just the little things.

iPhone Cons:
                              Less customization - I miss widgets

There are several apps out there that allow you some control of your android via web browser. Whether that's moving files around, sending text...etc - I can't find any of this for the iPhone

Screen interaction seems better on the android devices. Meaning, most things the touch screen is fine on the iphone - but sometimes you have to tap in the general area to get what you want.

I miss the back button

I miss the micro usb charger compared to having the 30 pin AND new adapters

It's an iPhone...feel a bit like a sheeple now

------

Otherwise, they are different and that's it. Depending on the person buying, I'd recommend different phones but I can understand why anyone would prefer one of the other. I just don't get why people fiercely defend one vs the other.
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post

Otherwise, they are different and that's it. Depending on the person buying, I'd recommend different phones but I can understand why anyone would prefer one of the other. I just don't get why people fiercely defend one vs the other.
                                agreed. I liked my iPhone when I had it, but I feel I like my GS3 more, it maybe just because it's new/different though. Who knows.

I think the biggest difference to me is that the iPhone is just more of a grab'n'go type device whereas the droid stuff is a little more 'techy/flashy' with the widgets and whatnot.

Comment

Working...
                                X