Another CCNA thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another CCNA thread

So, I am halfway through the CCNA course. The first two courses I took online and though easy, I feel like I just memorized a lot of it. The next set of courses (taking in twos) I hope to take in a classroom. I know that just having the CCNA doesn't help much in landing a job nowadays. So, my question is what and more importantly where should I look for a job to gain some experience? I figure it will more than likely be a helpdesk type setting. TIA

Try to find a postion in a NOC or big name company helpdesk.
    WRX

Comment

Originally posted by 06S197GT View Post
      So, I am halfway through the CCNA course. The first two courses I took online and though easy, I feel like I just memorized a lot of it. The next set of courses (taking in twos) I hope to take in a classroom. I know that just having the CCNA doesn't help much in landing a job nowadays. So, my question is what and more importantly where should I look for a job to gain some experience? I figure it will more than likely be a helpdesk type setting. TIA
      Take a shit job and be a noc tech, and work your hardest to get out of that position and go to security or something network related. CCNA might not add much to a helpdesk role to be honest, since most their access will be limited to simply helping end users out and you won't really be troubleshooting switches/routers/etc...

I might be leaving my job soon, you should apply where I work and take my position. PM me.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I will look into this more when I get home

Comment

Originally posted by 06S197GT View Post
          Thanks for the replies! I will look into this more when I get home
          The trick is IMO to surround yourself in the technology. Meaning, if you want to learn R/S don't always hang around with Sys Admins who don't know R/S. Also, trying to buy into R/S gear and lab stuff up for yourself and show a lot of initiative and be ready to job hop.

In my opinion it's helpful to demonstrate what you can do a little too while on an interview. If you can say hey, let my VPN into my home on my ASA, and show you some lab stuff I've done and the NMS I setup...etc - it shows you're at least trying. Let me tell you, when fighting for those level I/II positions that really means a lot to the people that are interviewing you and ultimately have to work with you. In those positions I'd much rather higher the eager guy than the guy with a CCNP. Why? Obviously the CCNP guy does not have the experience cause theoretically a CCNP person should be over qualified for a I/II position - but looks bad ass on paper.

I'll give 2 scenarios I lived through to help better explain the hanging out with people part and eagerness.

Hanging out:
          Understand, hang out with whoever you can. Listening to good Sys Admins can enlighten you on a 1001 things as well. However, if you hang out with only Sys Admin/DCV minded people - you'll never understand R/S troubleshooting methodology and design very well. All you have to do is listen and ask questions every so often. Learn something you don't understand? Ask 2 or more R/S people and listen to the different opinions. Not 1 opinion is right or wrong a lot of times.

Just be careful about taking advice from sub-par network admins - there are a lot out there.

Eagerness:
          In the last several years I've been in a position to help people advance and I love doing it. However, I'm not going to help those who don't help themselves.

I worked at a company where there were 3 Help Desk guys. They all wanted to be CCNAs/Network Admins. So, I'd take the time to explain stuff and how to do BASIC network troubleshooting. I'd explain, step 1 is if a user does not have network connectivity at their desktop - hook a known good laptop up and see if it does. Swap the patch cord and then come see me and we'll go from there.

2 of the 3 would just sit in their cubes, write up a ticket and stick it in my queue. In my opinion, checking the patch cable and PC is a perfect things for HD person to do.

1 of the 3 would do all of the above and would often figure out the problem while working with the end user (all in the same building/floor). This is better customer service and gets the HD person thinking a little more. 9 out of the 10 ticket I got were shot back because there were no networking problems.

So, I worked with this guy more and more and ignored the other 2 since they not once showed any initiative (like welfare whores basically). In this case, the guy is working for the same company as I am and working on a 1001 technologies.

Don't expect things handed to you, follow directions and study study study.

Long winded post.

Edit: I won't mention him by name but another completely unrelated HD guy ended up with his own business and while at that company he was bumped 2-3 times. He's on this board as well. He's just not a big Cisco guy so I don't know much about what he does, but seems to be doing good all through self-training/motivation.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

i'd recommend a job in a NOC and not helpdesk unless the role involves logging into network devices as well.

like the other guy mentioned showing passion is going to get your foot in the door and not just "i really really want this job". but showing that's its not just a job but your hobby as well will show that you're willing to put the time in when hired.

get familiar with dynamips/gns3 if you haven't already. that will help your self study. at this point staying with cisco is fine, but be aware there are other vendors out there and they're past cisco in many different areas but just don't have the market share. as long as you have the basics down they'll translate to most other vendors because they *should* be following what is outlined by the RFC's for given protocol (unless proprietary protocol).

i would subscribe to nanog and c-nsp and just listen in on things that interest you. eventually you will, might as well see what you're stepping into.

goodluck.

Comment

^^^ Good point. IMO, Cisco generally still sets the standard in a plethora of different areas. However, they are slipping (another thread would be needed for the discussion of why) a little bit while others are not. Not only market share, but if you're a Cisco shop you have a one stop shop for support...etc. Which is it's up and down side depending on perspective.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Look for IT/PACS admin jobs at Hospitals. In my experience, they pay well and require very little actual network knowledge. Zero networking knowledge in some cases. Lol
                - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

what's your IT background so far? If it's none, then I don't see anything wrong with Help Desk. It may not be related to networking but it'll be a foot in the door for a transfer when a position opens up later. I'm sure NOC positions are fine too. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X