My M16A1 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My M16A1 build

I figured I'd repost this now that my web server is working again.

I've been working on this project on and off for the last 6 months or so, and finally did the final push this weekend to get in finished. It came out great - very happy with the results, and it shot a pretty damn good group for iron sights it's first time out.

Every single part is original colt except for the lower receiver - and the only reason being is colt never made a period correct late 603 A1 receiver style for civilians. I built this from a parts kit I purchased from MGS for $500.00 (Real big thanks to Steve at MGS for all his help on this one, I can't state that enough). I couldn't be happier with the build, and the Nodak A1 lower matches my upper perfectly, I've never seen a finish match as close as this on any of my AR's. I believe it will be one of my favorite rifles. I had been wanting to do a completely nostalgic build with none of the tacticool bullshit - straight Vietnam period correct build all the way. Shooting through iron sights I get a satisfaction you don't experience when looking through scopes or holographic sights.

Oh, and last time I checked MGS still has a couple M16A1 parts kits left.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Love the retro's
    "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
    http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
    Factory Five MK4 Cobra
    Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
    http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
    www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
      Love the retro's
      x2

Comment

Cj, how much total do you have it that? I want one.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
          Cj, how much total do you have it that? I want one.
          $500 for the parts kit, $120 for the lower, $120 for the engraving, $20 to parkerize the barrel, $30 for a semi auto fire control group.

total cost: $790 for a M16A1 colt rifle. $670 if you don't have it engraved with the period correct markings.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Who did the engraving? Thats pretty cool
            "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
            http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
            Factory Five MK4 Cobra
            Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
            http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
            www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
              Who did the engraving? Thats pretty cool
              identmarking.com

Comment

That is classy!!!

Comment

sexy!

Comment

Looking good CJ!
                    Originally posted by lincolnboy
                    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

sweet!!
                      "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
                      East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
                      https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

Not to nitpick but didnt the Vietnam era A1's have a smaller straight mag? Just saying, since you wanted to do it as exact as possible. I dig it either way though

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                          Not to nitpick but didnt the Vietnam era A1's have a smaller straight mag? Just saying, since you wanted to do it as exact as possible. I dig it either way though

Original 20 round waffle mags are fucking rare, and repops are few and far between. Brownell's still sells springs and followers for them, and nodak spud sells mag bodies if you feel like putting your own together. That's the easiest/cheapest way that I've found. That being said, his kit came with a 30rd mag, as did mine.
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

There's nothing rare about a 20 round m16 magazine. The rare waffle mag are model 01 variant specific only (as in guns marked armalite/colt and made in super small numbers). 30 round mags started coming about towards the end of Vietnam action, but you rarely if ever see them.
                            Last edited by David; 11-23-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                              There's nothing rare about a 20 round m16 magazine. The rare waffle mag are model 01 variant specific only (as in guns marked armalite/colt and made in super small numbers). 30 round mags started coming about towards the end of Vietnam action, but you rarely if ever see them.
                              Correct. I built a late 603 variant because this is the rifle most all troops fielded, not the wacky earlier variants everyone is crazy about building. As David stated, 30rd magazines were available in vietnam towards the end of the war, so technically it isn't incorrect. The early 20rd waffle mags are very rare and expensive. I do want to buy some 20rd issue mags if anyone is selling. A waffle mag would be a little too early to be seen in a late 603 variant. If im not mistaken those were the original test mags issued with the first unchromed self cleaning get you killed variants.
                              Last edited by CJ; 11-23-2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X