Looking into a new AR, caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny View Post
    I haven't fired anything with .416 yet, but it gives the SF guys out here major wood just talking about it.

I have rifles using 7.62, .223 and .308 all with different purposes, but I'm probably going to eventually want to stretch my legs a little and go slightly bigger, but not on an AR frame. My AR is staying .223 anything bigger will call for a better rifle foundation. I fired one of the Beowolf .50 ARs and would rather shell out a little more money to get something I'd be more confident in sending that big hunk of metal down range with.
    right on, i myself LOVE the many different "styles" of AR's you can get now, i would say, for a lot of reasons, a great one to get would be a LWRC international AR in 6.8 ... they have many to chose from, including the option for a free floating barrel and a "chopped" gas block making it easier for optics since you dont have a huge front sight setup blocking your view. they are also very nice because of how they are built/operated. i FUCKING HATE these POS base model AR's due to the fact that they are hard as hell to keep clean and they arent very reliable when the weather here gets nasty. carbon collecting bastards. its the only weapon i know of that just creates carbon even when its clean. i do like other setups though, i like some from H&K, Sig, and Barret. i'm very picky though. i have to have exactly what i want, and when i do make up my mind on a 6.8 AR, it will probably be loaded with parts from many different manufacturers so i can officially call it, "mine"
    sigpic 92 GT, 5 Lugged, 306, Vortech V1 S Trim, 42# injectors, Aeromotive Boost Reference Fuel Pressure Regulator, MSD Boost Timing Master, TKO 600, Moser 31 Spline Axles, 3.73's.

Comment

Originally posted by fbodyjohnny View Post
      right on, i myself LOVE the many different "styles" of AR's you can get now, i would say, for a lot of reasons, a great one to get would be a LWRC international AR in 6.8 ... they have many to chose from, including the option for a free floating barrel and a "chopped" gas block making it easier for optics since you dont have a huge front sight setup blocking your view. they are also very nice because of how they are built/operated. i FUCKING HATE these POS base model AR's due to the fact that they are hard as hell to keep clean and they arent very reliable when the weather here gets nasty. carbon collecting bastards. its the only weapon i know of that just creates carbon even when its clean. i do like other setups though, i like some from H&K, Sig, and Barret. i'm very picky though. i have to have exactly what i want, and when i do make up my mind on a 6.8 AR, it will probably be loaded with parts from many different manufacturers so i can officially call it, "mine"
      Frankenrifles are definately the way to go when you want it your way.

I'm going to look at a Barret 98B in .338 Lapua when I get back home. It's in Austin, but it'll be an excuse to go for a ride.

Comment

Of course the .223 isn't as powerful, but in combat I wouldnt want anything else. The ar platform isn't about energy delivery per round, it is about cumulative energy delivery. A .223 will not knock you off target. I can put 3 rounds in your center mass before you could put two .308 in me. This kind of reasoning never really made sense to me until I started hunting animals with an ar and g3. I'm a big guy, and I can control a .308 battle rifle well, even still it isn't as good as an ar, because I can pop off 3+ accurate shots in the period it takes to get a .308 rifle back on target. And in that period someone with an ar is hitting you.
        Last edited by CJ; 11-26-2010, 09:24 AM.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
          Of course the .223 isn't as powerful, but in combat I wouldnt want anything else. The ar platform isn't about energy delivery per round, it is about cumulative energy delivery. A .223 will not knock you off target. I can put 3 rounds in your center mass before you could put two .308 in me. This kind of reasoning never really made sense to me until I started hunting animals with an ar and g3. I'm a big guy, and I can control a .308 battle rifle well, even still it isn't as good as an ar, because I can pop off 3n accurate shots in the period it takes to get a .308 rifle back on Target.
          Exactly why I have multipule rifles (multipule purposes). I wish my wife understood that thought process.

Comment

i beg to differ... with my experience on all these rounds, i would ULTIMATELY pick 6.8 ...
            my reasons why. the 5.56 is a varmint round. yes, I,, and many other service members use it to fight here overseas, but, it IS true,,,, more than a few times, it has been reported that it takes SEVERAL rounds to actually kill a human (( combat situation, rounds dont hit exactly where you want them to )) so you're not going to be able to get that perfect headshot or heartstopper when you're under heavy fire. the round is too small, has shitty kinetic energy, its just shitty. now for 7.62x39 yes, its known for its power, but not for its accuracy no matter WHAT its fired out of. now for the 6.8..
            the 6.8 is the best of ALL worlds. proven MANY MANY times, it has nearly the same recoil as a 5.56 but with 3 times the stopping power, and has a very flat trajectory, and WAY more kinetic energy. i could go on and on, but i will leave you to make the final decision.
            I'll throw my reasoning out there.

How many of us are going to be killing humans with our guns?

Exactly.

We all fantasize about the tactical sitation where we play John McCain and save the hostages from the terrorists, but the sad, mundane truth is we will be punching holes in paper and sniping beer bottles.

So, while the 6.8 is $1 per round for the cheap stuff, you can get .223/5.56mm for less than half that cost.

And, if I want to snipe something, I'll grab the Remington 700 PSS in .308 Winchester. Otherwise, I can use one of my shorter ARs as an entry gun.

Comment

Oh, and I've seen what an AR will do to a human being up close and personal.

The body looks like bloody hamburger.

Comment

Go .50 or go home.

Comment

poll?
                  im interested too!
                  "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi View Post
                    Go .50 or go home.
                    AR-50?

Comment

.50 Beowulf
                      IMG_0424

Comment

Im gonna skip that black friday deal and go for an Armalite in .223

Found a decent deal on one for about $650

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                          Oh, and I've seen what an AR will do to a human being up close and personal.

The body looks like bloody hamburger.
                          every dead sack of shit enemy fighter i have seen killed from a 5.56 is tiny in, tiny out. not impressive. combat shots, we are not delta force or navy seals, so when we get into contact, we do not have the ability to put rounds downrange in PERFECT shot groups. you shoot, you move, and communicate. thats all you have time for in 98% of TIC's. accuracy is not the key, so i would feel MUCH safer with a 6.8 but like someone stated here already, we arent going hunting for humans.
                          sigpic 92 GT, 5 Lugged, 306, Vortech V1 S Trim, 42# injectors, Aeromotive Boost Reference Fuel Pressure Regulator, MSD Boost Timing Master, TKO 600, Moser 31 Spline Axles, 3.73's.

Comment

I would recommend a 6.8 for someone who already owns a 5.56mm, and reloads.
                            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

every dead sack of shit enemy fighter i have seen killed from a 5.56 is tiny in, tiny out. not impressive. combat shots, we are not delta force or navy seals, so when we get into contact, we do not have the ability to put rounds downrange in PERFECT shot groups. you shoot, you move, and communicate. thats all you have time for in 98% of TIC's. accuracy is not the key, so i would feel MUCH safer with a 6.8 but like someone stated here already, we arent going hunting for humans.
                              How many of those you have seen shot were done so at closer than 3 yards?

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                                How many of those you have seen shot were done so at closer than 3 yards?
                                That's that FWPD execution style representin, yo!

Comment

Working...
                                X