I need some help picking out my new gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help picking out my new gun

Well I am going to be shopping for a new gun to carry around (of course with my CHL)

I already have a SigSauer P250 9mm w/ sights
    which I love but I am always scared its going to go off since there is no safety
    I have it in my closet w/ the clip outside the gun

Well anyways I almost had to use it yesterday ....
    I hated getting the gun and clip out of the holster putting it together and cocking it (took forever)

I prefer to have a gun that is loaded ready to use and press the safety and go (I think I will like to have it cocked but not sure)

I am by no means a gun expert, more like a gun rookie
    I took many classes using rifles when I was in Boy Scouts but thats about it

Give me some thoughts and suggestions
    1967 Mustang Fastback - 5.0 32V Stroked Teksid - Supercar GT heads - MARCELLA Billet intake -
    - Twin Precision 6766 Turbo set up - BigStuff3 - AMS1000 - Built GM 4l80e - Art Morrison Chassis
    - Sparco Milano Leather Seats- Forged 18" wheels - 29" M/T tires + A/C & heat!

1991 TT Mod Foxbody Coupe- Build thread... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=422864

I dont think you should worry about your sig going off
    Big Rooster Racing
    1985 Mustang GT

Comment

I would recommend a 1911 commander/compact model. You can carry cocked and ready with the safety on, the trigger is crisp, they are very thin and hug the body well during carry, and they shoot damn good.

They also are pretty easy on the eyes

Also, story behind having to use it? I understand if you dont want to go into much detail.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Unless you have other reasons for leaving the weapon unchambered and the magazine removed, like kids or something, there is no sense in doing that - and there are better ways to responsibly own a firearm. They simply don't go off on their own unless you point them at a something, like a mattress, and pull the trigger.

Chamber a round, use the decocking lever, keep it in a good holster that completely covers the trigger, and keep it accessible. Like you found out, you do not want to be dicking around with your handgun when you think you need it.

That said, I would also view this as a great excuse to go buy a new one.

EDIT: turns out the P250 doesn't have a decocking lever. Still, keep it in a holster. I run around with an M&P that has no safety and I don't worry about it so much. I'm mindful, but I don't worry.
        Last edited by BERNIE MOSFET; 11-18-2010, 01:10 PM.
        Men have become the tools of their tools.
        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
          I would recommend a 1911 commander/compact model. You can carry cocked and ready with the safety on, the trigger is crisp, they are very thin and hug the body well during carry, and they shoot damn good.

They also are pretty easy on the eyes

Also, story behind having to use it? I understand if you dont want to go into much detail.
          every subcompact 1911 I've shot prematurely wears from the excess main spring pressure. I think they're kinda weird looking.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

My Sigma .40 doesn't have a safety. The heavy pull and trigger action is your safety. Keep it holstered and be responsible with it. You'll be fine. If it bothers you that much just don't chamber a round. Takes about a second to rack the slide.

Comment

My beretta .40 is double action only. so no need for safty. The trigger pull is the same as a revoler. You can also find some double/single guns that have a decocker that are very safe.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post

Basically, me and the wife were home around 6pm
                When a guy broke the front door of neighbors house,
                I didn't see It but the wife told me.
                I then ran to the closet and put the gun together and cocked It.
                I then headed to the door but the wife freak out and got infront of door
                and begged me not to go.
                I hated not doing nothing but I learned a lesson that I was not ready
                if this was happenning to my house.
                I called the cops and took some pics but I they didnt come out too good.
                I was so mad at the wife but she had a point were she was looking out for me.
                1967 Mustang Fastback - 5.0 32V Stroked Teksid - Supercar GT heads - MARCELLA Billet intake -
                - Twin Precision 6766 Turbo set up - BigStuff3 - AMS1000 - Built GM 4l80e - Art Morrison Chassis

1991 TT Mod Foxbody Coupe- Build thread... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=422864

Comment

Originally posted by 2000 vert View Post
                  My beretta .40 is double action only. so no need for safty. The trigger pull is the same as a revoler. You can also find some double/single guns that have a decocker that are very safe.
                  Not sure what single or dual action is

Also is a decocker similar to a safety?

Comment

I've had a kind of a hankering for a 1903 Colt lately. I think ever since CRASH posted that gun-drilled one his dad carries, it's just kind of stuck with me.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Consider the XD. It has a grip safety like the 1911. It greatly reduces the chance of an accidental fire.
                      Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Springfield XD40sc
                        Www.greatsouthwestgun.com

Comment

Fabrique Nationale FNX-9 or FNX-45 would be some nice shooters to look at. The FNP-9 are an earlier model and can go for less than $500 if you can find them. Never had one issue with mine in the 1000+ round I've put through it. Also shoots +P and reloads like a dream.

If you get the USG model they have a Decocker, Ambi-safety, and you can carry condition one (cocked and locked).
                          Last edited by Brandon-k; 11-19-2010, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by XR_1 View Post
                            Basically, me and the wife were home around 6pm
                            When a guy broke the front door of neighbors house,
                            I didn't see It but the wife told me.
                            I then ran to the closet and put the gun together and cocked It.
                            I then headed to the door but the wife freak out and got infront of door
                            and begged me not to go.
                            I hated not doing nothing but I learned a lesson that I was not ready
                            if this was happenning to my house.
                            I called the cops and took some pics but I they didnt come out too good.
                            I was so mad at the wife but she had a point were she was looking out for me.
                            You should look back and thank your wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                              You should look back and thank your wife!
                              Pshhh, I would have gone out there guns blazing. Would have had my 45 on my side and shotgun loaded with buckshot in my hand. =P

Comment

Working...
                              X