YLOD on my kids PS3 :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YLOD on my kids PS3 :(

I guess there was a power surge that got by the belkin protector because the kids alarm clock is dead and the PS3 is giving the YLOD. I was thinking about cracking it open and reflowing the solder but because of the alarm clock being dead, I think its fried.

I heard Sony will repair it for $150ish or swap it out for a slim model for a few bucks less. Anyone else try doing this? Its one of the 4 USB models that is backwards compatible though so kids will be bummed they cant play PS2 games.

impossible! Everyone knows the ps3 never fails! Lies! take you lying post somewhere else before the hordes of ps3 loyalist silence you!

j/k

Your best bet is to verify sony will fix it and not swap it. I'd take the hard drive out before sending it to them, just in case.
    Worse case scenario, you get a slim, and you have to spend $40 on craigslist for a ps2.
    sigpic

Comment

It's probably the power supply, mine has the rlod, still need to get it fixed, have anymore info on swapping to a slim? I might just do that if I have to.

Comment

Yes sony will repair it for about 150 bucks, I hear of a guy in Plano that repairs them as well. There was a similar post like this somewhere and I dont remember where I saw it, maybe on the old site. I have also heard you can repair yourself I have watched alot of videos on you tube on how to's.
        And Shepherds we shall be

For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand

Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee

And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti

Comment

Call me for quick, reliable repairs for your PS5, PS4, PS3, XBOX ONE , Xbox Series S & X, Xbox 360 Nintendo Switch, Wii, iPad, Tablet, Kindle or Laptop in the Plano, Dallas -Gadget Guy TX

Comment

I will probably call Sony tomorrow and check my options.

Trying to figure out what caused the surge though. The houses Christmas lights are on the same circuit and I just unplug the lights. I'm wondering if pulling the plug causes a surge. I put the Christmas lights on another circuit now.

Comment

Just got off the phone with Sony, $139 to send my system in to get fixed/exchanged. My particular model was not eligible for a $100 upgrade to the slim model. I think it has to be one of the 60 gig models and mine was a 80 gig.

I had two questions for them that may help someone else. I asked if I would get back the exact model I sent in because I have one of the only backwards compatible ones and they could not promise I would get the exact console back but I would get the exact model (in case it was exchanged) so no worries about getting a non-backwards compatible model.

Also I asked about the hard drive. Mine was a 80 but I swapped it out within 5 minutes of getting it home to a 250 gig drive I had and no longer had the OEM drive. They said just send it in without the hard drive and the new one would come with no drive. But if they do send a different console the hard drive will recognize it as a new unit and I will have to format. Either way I still keep my 250gig drive.

Comment

If your PS3 is bricked I'd go ahead and get the new HD too....Don't set yourself up for failure lol.
                sigpic

Comment

Depending on how old the Belkin was won't they pay to repair or replace the damaged item? I'm sure there is some process to follow but we have always gotten great service from them. I just bough a Belkin Power Strip Last night, had a $250,000 guarantee on it.

Just a though, good luck.
                  "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
                  -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                    If your PS3 is bricked I'd go ahead and get the new HD too....Don't set yourself up for failure lol.
                    Set hard drive is fine, its something internal, otherwise I would get an error code. It wont even attempt to boot up because its fried. Either way I have a couple 100+ gig laptop drives in a drawer I could use. I just dont want to trade a 250 gig drive for a 80 if I dont have to.

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                    Depending on how old the Belkin was won't they pay to repair or replace the damaged item? I'm sure there is some process to follow but we have always gotten great service from them. I just bough a Belkin Power Strip Last night, had a $250,000 guarantee on it.

Just a though, good luck.
                    Thought about that too but no clue on how old it is. Im just going to replace it.

Comment

Working...
                    X