X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charter internet caps!

Well everyone knew it was going to happen:

13. NETWORK MANAGEMENT

Charter manages its network to deliver the best possible service to all of our customers. This is necessary because high-speed bandwidth and network resources are not unlimited. Additionally, if we did not manage our network, our customers would be subject to the negative effects of "spam," viruses, security attacks, network congestion, and other risks and degradations of service. To address these risks, Charter uses reasonable network management practices with the goal of relieving network congestion and ensuring that all customers have the opportunity to use the Service with the best available results. Charter uses tools that it considers to be the least disruptive to the customer experience.
    In the case of significantly high bandwidth usage causing congestion (regardless of the usage type or format), Charter may temporarily reduce the available bandwidth to those customers identified as using such high amounts of bandwidth as necessary to reduce bandwidth congestion. This may cause high bandwidth users to temporarily experience slower Service speeds, but specific network traffic is not targeted for restriction during these times. While Charter does not guarantee that the network will never experience disruptions, we believe our network management techniques are among the best available for assuring a good customer experience. Of course, Charter's network management practices will change and evolve, along with the uses of the Internet and the challenges and threats on the Internet.
    14. NO EXCESSIVE USE OF BANDWIDTH

The Service is for residential use and only within limits that Charter considers reasonable for the service level to which Customer subscribes. Residential service usage for Customers subscribing to the Lite or Express packages should not exceed 100 Gigabytes ("GB") of data per month. Usage for Customers subscribing to the Plus or Max packages should not exceed 250 GB of data per month and usage for Customers subscribing to the Ultra60 package should not exceed 500 GB of data per month. Charter reserves the right to revise or implement additional usage limits at any time.
    It is a violation of this Policy to use the Service in excess of these limits. In these cases, Charter may, in its sole discretion, notify Customer of excessive use and (i) request Customer to employ corrective or self-limiting actions to comply with this provision; (ii) suspend or terminate Customer's Service account; or (iii) request that Customer subscribe to a version of the Service (such as a commercial grade Internet service, if appropriate) for use at higher data consumption levels that align with Customer's usage patterns. Charter's determination of the data consumption for Service accounts is final.

What's the big deal? According to my router logs, I pulled down about 39 Gigabytes of data from FIOS last month streaming Netflix movies and listening to Pandora. And transferring my site back ups over FTP. And probably 3 - 4 Gig on the upload. My peak so far is about 55 Gig/month download. You know how hard it is to pull down 100 GB a month? Unless, they are referring to Gigabits and not Gigabytes. The average customer is not going to fully utilize that much bandwidth allocation.
    Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-07-2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

It seems like these caps are going to become more and more popular. You have a small percentage of users using a large percentage of the bandwidth in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
        What's the big deal?
        It is a generous helping of bandwidth but there has never been a cap before, that's the big deal. If they are limiting my previously unlimited service I want a pricing adjustment or an option to cancel my service without an ETF.

Comment

I worked in Telecom for a period of time, so I'll give you some insight into why these things happen.

Internet bandwidth consumption has statistically increased by 40% over the last couple of years. The bandwidth caps are put into place because they have one of two choices. Update their infrastructure/backbones to handles the exponential growth of internet users that are streaming Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, XBox, etc...and increase your rates to compensate. OR - Put in place bandwidth caps to try and avoid the backlash of having to increase your monthly rates and potentially lose customers.

This is common among many ISPs. However, just because it's in the usage agreement doesn't necessarily mean they strictly enforce it. Only a very small percentage of customers will consume 100 GB or more a month. I'm a bandwidth hog and my router shows I average between 40 - 60 GB a month down / 3 - 6 GB up. If you read the fine print of your agreement, I guarantee you'll find language that allows them a loop hole to alter the "unlimited" aspect of your plan.

With all the new Blu-ray players, TVs, and game consoles that can stream HD video, this is going to become more and more prevalent.

Growth is outpacing capacity. Period. That's the nuts and bolts of the situation. If you feel that you have an iron clad contract for "unlimited" usage, then talk to a supervisor. However, unless you have a top tier plan, you're stuck in cap. And those caps won't go into place until next year.

FYI: FIOS doesn't cap. I one time downloaded 14 GB in one day and didn't hear anything from them. They work with Level3 and have a massive OC-192 backbone.
          Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-09-2010, 11:46 PM.

Comment

As a Charter user I am a little pissed about this, I hit 187 GB one month, and that was before my brother started streaming HD on netflix, there were easily 12 episodes of top gear streamed in HD earlier today. At least I haven't received any notification (yet) about this.

I'm on the top plan I can get as well

Comment

For you Charter guys on the top tier bandwidth plan, you should not have any caps placed on your accounts. These caps will apply to the starter and intermediate tiers.

Comment

I worked in Telecom for a period of time, so I'll give you some insight into why these things happen.

Internet bandwidth consumption has statistically increased by 40% over the last couple of years. The bandwidth caps are put into place because they have one of two choices. Update their infrastructure/backbones to handles the exponential growth of internet users that are streaming Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, XBox, etc...and increase your rates to compensate. OR - Put in place bandwidth caps to try and avoid the backlash of having to increase your monthly rates and potentially lose customers.

This is common among many ISPs. However, just because it's in the usage agreement doesn't necessarily mean they strictly enforce it. Only a very small percentage of customers will consume 100 GB or more a month. I'm a bandwidth hog and my router shows I average between 40 - 60 GB a month down / 3 - 6 GB up. If you read the fine print of your agreement, I guarantee you'll find language that allows them a loop hole to alter the "unlimited" aspect of your plan.

With all the new Blu-ray players, TVs, and game consoles that can stream HD video, this is going to become more and more prevalent.

Growth is outpacing capacity. Period. That's the nuts and bolts of the situation. If you feel that you have an iron clad contract for "unlimited" usage, then talk to a supervisor. However, unless you have a top tier plan, you're stuck in cap. And those caps won't go into place until next year.

FYI: FIOS doesn't cap. I one time downloaded 14 GB in one day and didn't hear anything from them. They work with Level3 and have a massive OC-192 backbone.
                lol

Comment

What's the big deal? According to my router logs, I pulled down about 39 Gigabytes of data from FIOS last month streaming Netflix movies and listening to Pandora. And transferring my site back ups over FTP. And probably 3 - 4 Gig on the upload. My peak so far is about 55 Gig/month download. You know how hard it is to pull down 100 GB a month? Unless, they are referring to Gigabits and not Gigabytes. The average customer is not going to fully utilize that much bandwidth allocation.
                  its not hard at all

I'll admit, my uploader status is now gone. so all this was for personal/family use.
                  Last edited by roliath; 12-11-2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I download a lot of stuff. A LOT of stuff, but I can't scratch 500GB. I'm a Max user but only because Ultra 60 (DOCSIS 3.0) isn't yet available in our area.

I also watch Netflix, play my XBox and work from home with a constant VPN connection.

Comment

B=byte
                      b=bit

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
                        lol
                        something funny? a little insider info a bit too much for you to digest?

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                          B=byte
                          b=bit
                          And your point is..??

Comment

Working...
                          X