Replacing catalytic converter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing catalytic converter?

Friend of mine is unable to pass state inspection and Autozone checked the codes and is telling her that her catalytic converter is bad (Nissan Altima). She went to a local muffler shop and was quoted something like $700 to replace. Seems kinda high IMO. I priced out a universal catalytic converter through Autozone and it runs $100.

Does the quote she got from the muffler shop seem high? Any issues with using a universal catalytic converter as a replacement? I'm going to suggest she get the codes rescanned and/or take it to another shop to get a quote on the replacement as well but wanted to run it by you guys to get some opinions.

Seems really high to me... maybe check a junkyard and pull the exhaust from there and replace?
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

what year is it?

Comment

what engine too?

Comment

I know Magnaflow makes factory replacement bolt in cats for most popular cars, check there as well.

Edit: For shits and giggles looked up cats for a 2013 4 cylinder. The website listed options for new manifold with integrated cats, mid pipe with cats, and a universal weld in cat. All way cheaper than $700.

Comment

Check for recalls and service bulletins. If it's an 04-05 with the 2.5 she'd probably be better off setting it on fire.

Comment

Can't remember off hand but I think it's an 05 or 06 six cylinder. No idea how it got bad but she can't afford a new car right now and fortunately doesn't have to drive far for work. Thought about seeing if a junk yard had one but couldn't imagine a new one being that expensive either and that "I" would rather have a new one over a used one but that's just me.

Comment

Most it should cost out the door (tax included) is $300. A good deal would be $200. Even here in CA, I had one replaced on my Accord for $225 out the door.

Comment

they are part of the manifold IIRC. It's illegal for a salvage to sell the. Ive seen (and installed) header/universal cats in place of the shitty oem style.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

From YellowBullet:

Easiest way to tell if it's working is monitor the O2s using a scan tool. The upstream should switch rapidly, while the downstream should hold steady about .7 volts while the cat is storing O2. When it releases (usually during decel) the voltage drops to almost zero.

Second best way to check one is check the in and out temp using a point n shoot infrared temp gun. When the cat is kicked off or "lit" the exhaust temp exiting the cat should be at least 200 degrees HOTTER than the incoming temp.

If her car is already in the system for failing she might be eligible for financial assistance for repairs:

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airqualit...le_repair.html

Non-fouler may resolve the issue as well.

Comment

I'd start by replacing that nissan with something that isn't a nissan.
                      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        they are part of the manifold IIRC.
                        If that's the case, they are definitely more expensive than a standard converter that goes inline with the exhaust. More time consuming to install too.

Comment

Magnaflow does have the converter that is part of the manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            they are part of the manifold IIRC. It's illegal for a salvage to sell the. Ive seen (and installed) header/universal cats in place of the shitty oem style.
                            Originally posted by scott442 View Post
                            From YellowBullet:

Easiest way to tell if it's working is monitor the O2s using a scan tool. The upstream should switch rapidly, while the downstream should hold steady about .7 volts while the cat is storing O2. When it releases (usually during decel) the voltage drops to almost zero.

Second best way to check one is check the in and out temp using a point n shoot infrared temp gun. When the cat is kicked off or "lit" the exhaust temp exiting the cat should be at least 200 degrees HOTTER than the incoming temp.

If her car is already in the system for failing she might be eligible for financial assistance for repairs:

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airqualit...le_repair.html

Non-fouler may resolve the issue as well.
                            DJ, are you saying that it is illegal for a junkyard to sell this part off of a car? Not sure what non-fouler is but i'll look it up. Finally looked at a picture of an OEM replacement and can see how it is a part of the manifold and I guess that's why it's more expensive.

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                            I'd start by replacing that nissan with something that isn't a nissan.
                            Not an option unless you are willing to help I know I'm not.

Comment

yes sir, federal law against selling used cats. They can be recertified, but I dont know anyone doing it.
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X