No announcement yet.

Ancestory.com anyone ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something like 10% of dads aren't really the father of the kids they are paying for.

This is even crazier!

Cheating on your husband and getting pregnant from it is bad enough as it is. But imagine your husband's child sharing a womb with that of your lover for nine months.

To much disbelief, a woman in Xiamen City, China, has reportedly given birth to twins from separate fathers. Chinese news site Strait Herald was told about the occurrence by Ms Zhang, who is the director of the Fujian Zhengtai Forensic Identification Centre, the government agency which ran the paternity test for the twins.

Comment

My wife has been wanting to find out more of her family history with the DNA tests. She was given up for adoption at birth and never met her Dad (he passed away 2 years ago) and knows nothing about his family. She met her birth mother 10 years ago and now has a good relationship with that part of her family, although it is a little awkward at times. She's asked for the DNA tests as a Christmas present.

The biggest concern that I have with these tests are the databases that they are building with the personal information that is collected. I'd like to learn the information about my past without them keeping my personal information. Is there anyway to remain anonymous?

Comment

Originally posted by cyclonescott View Post
        Something like 10% of dads aren't really the father of the kids they are paying for.

This is even crazier!

Cheating on your husband and getting pregnant from it is bad enough as it is. But imagine your husband's child sharing a womb with that of your lover for nine months.

To much disbelief, a woman in Xiamen City, China, has reportedly given birth to twins from separate fathers. Chinese news site Strait Herald was told about the occurrence by Ms Zhang, who is the director of the Fujian Zhengtai Forensic Identification Centre, the government agency which ran the paternity test for the twins.
        Crazy stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          My grandfather recently found out that who he thought was his father actually isn't. It took a DNA test and like 90 years to confirm that one. It also confirmed that his first daughter wasnt his...he knew that but she didnt until DNA tests became so popular.

My aunt shared a story about a Civil War ancestor of ours who was gone to war for 3+ years and came home to find out that he had a 1 year old son. That probably was not the homecoming that he was expecting after spending time in a Yankee POW camp. They stayed married until death and had other children but you have to wonder what kind of thoughts went thru his mind about the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
            My aunt shared a story about a Civil War ancestor of ours who was gone to war for 3+ years and came home to find out that he had a 1 year old son. That probably was not the homecoming that he was expecting after spending time in a Yankee POW camp. They stayed married until death and had other children but you have to wonder what kind of thoughts went thru his mind about the situation.
            Hell, back then he might not have been the wiser!

Comment

The only DNA testing I've done is for medical info, one to see if I carried the gene associated with Alzheimer's and another for a fairly broad cancer screen. Negative on both fortunately. I agree with @Broncojohnny though, there's a risk of misuse of one's genetic info once you've relinquished it to a lab.

Comment

My tinfoil hat is definitely telling me to stay away from this test. I’d hate to find out that my dad wasn’t my dad or some crazy shit like that (I don’t suspect that but you never know).
                "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                  I won't send anything in to those places because you have no guarantee of how the information will be used in the future.

Also, the funniest part of this whole DNA testing thing is how many people find out that women are some cheating whores. There is page after page of groups on Facebook for people who found out that their dad is not who it was supposed to be.
                  Hopefully they all get dumped and have their life ruined. That's a life ruinable offense, even after all that time. Cheating is bad enough but that? She made you raise someone else's kid, AND let you think it was yours.
                  WH

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                    Hell, back then he might not have been the wiser!
                    He was educated and no doubt knew how to do math. It was no secret that a friendly neighbor was next door, just not talked about much. It had to be a difficult situation, I wish that I knew the whole story.

Comment

He was educated and no doubt knew how to do math. It was no secret that a friendly neighbor was next door, just not talked about much. It had to be a difficult situation, I wish that I knew the whole story.
                      Ive heard stories like that. I would assume that he wasnt able to send mail while detained, so his wife wouldnt have known if he was coming home or not. 3 years is a long damn time.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

The biggest concern that I have with these tests are the databases that they are building with the personal information that is collected. I'd like to learn the information about my past without them keeping my personal information. Is there anyway to remain anonymous?
                        I never thought about it before this thread, but I did a paternity test when my son was born because I learned when he was 4 months old that my (now ex) wife was sleeping with another man for around a year.

I wonder if they submit DNA like that to some database or if it's kept private.

And yes, he was my son. Poor kid looks just like me.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post

I wonder if they submit DNA like that to some database or if it's kept private.
                          It's stored and has already been sold. Copies of the data made and distributed. I'm not sure what the end result will be, but I do know at some point the data will be used for scientific purposes. Dna is the most dense form of information storage known to man. They're now starting to be able to write DNA, like they write computer code. iirc they're only able to write in binary right now, but it's only a very short matter of time before they'll be able to write it like they write a computer program.

That could lead to the total annihilation all disease. Say 10, 20 years from now. Since if you have a disease, it has to be following the code in order to be able to exist.
                          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                            Ive heard stories like that. I would assume that he wasnt able to send mail while detained, so his wife wouldnt have known if he was coming home or not. 3 years is a long damn time.
                            Maybe he went over and banged the neighbor's old lady and they called it even.
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                            X