Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raw milk is not better for you than pasteurized.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
    Isn't sterilized milk better than pastuerized and raw? Pastuerization apparently just temporarily "kills" bacteria in milk, but when the bacteria becomes active again, of course the milk spoils. Permanently killing the bacteria through sterilization prolongs the life of the milk, and you don't have to keep it cold.
    You're talking about UHT (ultra-high temperature) pasteurization. Sealed cartons and UHT can lead to six month plus shelf lives, without refridgeration. HTST (high temperature short time) is more than adequate to kill any pathogens. This is really a separate discussion, though. Spoilage organisms are not the same as pathogens, though. They make food rot. Pathogens will hurt you without spoiling the food.

EDIT: UHT milk is tough to find in most stores.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
      Doesn't soy boost estrogen levels?
      depends on the soy. Most soy protein isolates have the estrogen increasing parts removed. I'm not sure on soy milk, but i'd assume it does as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
        depends on the soy. Most soy protein isolates have the estrogen increasing parts removed. I'm not sure on soy milk, but i'd assume it does as well.
        RIght. Most are these days, but if I start bleeding, crying and lactating, I'll set the glass down.

Comment

you can pasteurize your own straight-from-the-cow milk yourself by heating it to 145 degrees and maintaining it at that temp for 30 minutes. This kills off the bad stuff, while preserving some of the flavor and nutrients of the milk. The FDA "Ultra-Pasteurizes" its milk by heating it to 161 degrees for 15 seconds, which kills off everything - good, bad, and indifferent.....but doesn't taste as good....
          "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Hey Yale, why does organic milk seem to have a longer shelf life? That Horizon stuff that Wal mart sells will last for a month and it tastes fantastic. Is it how it is processed or is it just better distribution?
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
              Hey Yale, why does organic milk seem to have a longer shelf life? That Horizon stuff that Wal mart sells will last for a month and it tastes fantastic. Is it how it is processed or is it just better distribution?
              It's not just Horizon. All organic milk I've come across has a longer shelf life. I'm also interested to know why, though I think it's the UHT process they use. Because they have little single serving cartons of chocolate milk, that are never found in the refrigerated section.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                It's not just Horizon. All organic milk I've come across has a longer shelf life. I'm also interested to know why, though I think it's the UHT process they use. Because they have little single serving cartons of chocolate milk, that are never found in the refrigerated section.
                Exactly, they do have those too, William likes the little chocolate milks, it must be UHT then.
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

After some googling, it looks like Horizon ultra pasteurizes.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

From what I understand, normal paseurization doesn't kill any harmful bacteria, it just puts it in a state of hibernation, and the reason that it needs to be kept cold is that it will keep the bacteria from becoming active for a while. When the milk spoils, it's because that bacteria is active. At least that's what I think they told us in freshman biology.
                    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I'm just going to leave this here for y'all

to steal a play from strychnine

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                        Horizon is UHT processed, according to the folks I've talked to. I'm not sure about the rest.
                        Poopnut: HTST pasteurization does kill pathogens, and the vast majority of spoilage bacteria, the main determinant of shelf life.*
                        Brent: The funny thing about the organic and rBst-free processors is, they operate some of the largest facilities in the business. They are prime examples of big food getting things right.

*EDIT: By and large, spoilage organisms and pathogens are different, but the line is, spoilage organisms don't make you sick before they spoil the milk. Most pathogens will spoil milk, especially E. coli and Listeria monocytogenes, but without a pasteurizer the milk can be fresh, bottled on sterile equipment, and a matter of hours out of the cow, and make you sick anyway, because it has enough of a pathogen level in it. Also, different pathogens can kill you with different levels of innocuation. That's why a pasteurizer is so important.
                        Last edited by YALE; 03-02-2011, 07:16 AM. Reason: clarity
                        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

If I do drink any sort of milk, it's always Horizon organic.
                          Can't beat the taste and shelf life!

Comment

last person i knew that drank raw milk got extremely sick and had a miscarriage a week later.
                            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                              last person i knew that drank raw milk got extremely sick and had a miscarriage a week later.
                              Same thing happened to me.
                              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                              X