X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They never saw it coming...

Overkill much?

Small drone 'shot with Patriot missile'

A Patriot missile - usually priced at about $3m (£2.5m) - was used to shoot down a small quadcopter drone, according to a US general.
    The strike was made by a US ally, Gen David Perkins told a military symposium.
    "That quadcopter that cost 200 bucks from Amazon.com did not stand a chance against a Patriot," he said.

----------------------------

On one side, I'm very impressed that the Patriot system engaged and destroyed such a small radar target at a low altitude.

The other side of me would have thought that someone could have figured out what it was and just sent a truck out there with a couple of guys with shotguns and saved the money.

Also, in most cases there's not much transmit\receive range on those things right? What are the chances that the operator was INSIDE the engagement area when that drone "ceased to be"?

"When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

I have no issue with using a $3M weapon to bring down a drone. Obviously there should be a lower cost / just as effective option. Those drones are being used to gain intelligence about our military actions, so spending $3M to improve our operational effectiveness is worth it.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
      Obviously there should be a lower cost / just as effective option

Comment

As if we're not already doing that too
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
          "When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

I have no issue with using a $3M weapon to bring down a drone. Obviously there should be a lower cost / just as effective option. Those drones are being used to gain intelligence about our military actions, so spending $3M to improve our operational effectiveness is worth it.
          Some governments are using trained birds to take them down. I'm sure our military has a similar program.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            Some governments are using trained birds to take them down. I'm sure our military has a similar program.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
              Not if the animal-rights extremists have anything to say about it!

Comment

Working...
              X