No announcement yet.

Cam install and a tune.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother and I did a Hemi conversion to his Wrangler with a 6.4L and we put this cam in

Leaders in aftermarket Gen3 Hemi racing and performance parts and installation. Home of the world's quickest Gen 3 Hemi.

You send them your PCM and they will flash it for you.
    '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
    '13 Dodge Cummins
    '14 Rubicon X

Comment

Just so you know how labor intensive these swaps are you have to pull the heads to swap the cam.
      '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
      '13 Dodge Cummins
      '14 Rubicon X

Comment

The howtos dont show them taking off the heads or even the intake.

I'm not saying its not labor intensive, but from the other howtos on sites, it doesn't sound any longer than the ls1 cam swap I did on my camaro which took 6-8 hours.

It sounds like its a good time to replace a bunch of parts though. I'm going to start putting together a laundry list.

Comment

He said he put magnets on lifters so I guess there is a special tool to hold the lifters up which are under the heads. HHP sends a whole install kit including head gaskets and the phaser delete. He also didn't mention anything about the phaser delete. Is your engine VVT?
          '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
          '13 Dodge Cummins
          '14 Rubicon X

Comment

The 5.7l is the VVT, the 6.1L engine doesnt do that shit.

Comment

6.4 is too and that's another reason why we pulled the heads so we could swap lifters.
              '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
              '13 Dodge Cummins
              '14 Rubicon X

Comment

No need to pull the heads off. I've done probably a dozen can swaps in various dodge hemi engines 5.7, 6.1 and the 6.4 without pulling the heads. As mentioned it's similar to an ls can swap. Take everything loose, spin the can a couple times and slide it out. Just have the new cam prepared to install immediately after removing the old one.

Comment

You never put non MDS lifters in on a VVT 6.4 with auto trans? The manual trans engines don't need a lifter swap but when you do the phaser delete you'll need new lifters.
                  '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
                  '13 Dodge Cummins
                  '14 Rubicon X

Comment

I normally don't even open the hood to do a cam swap. My last 6.7 made 1283hp with just a cam and I replaced half of the lifters with hot wheels cars.

Comment

lmfao ^^

also i might be wrong, i thought VVT was that shit where it turns off half the engine.

Comment

Was a manual challenger

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                          lmfao ^^

also i might be wrong, i thought VVT was that shit where it turns off half the engine.
                          Variable Valve Timing, oil pressure controls the cam timing so when you do the phaser delete it can't retard or advance the cam and yes it also assists in cylinder deactivation.

Originally posted by Blackpony View Post
                          Was a manual challenger
                          Oh ok. If we get a manual trans engine we don't have to swap lifters when doing a cam, only auto trans engines.
                          '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
                          '13 Dodge Cummins
                          '14 Rubicon X

Comment

Thanks for the help. I ordered a catch can, diablo tuner, interia cam, and some other miscellaneous parts.

Comment

You going to have before and after #'s??

God bless.
                              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I'd get some before numbers if I could find a dynoday or something around town. I dont think a bigger cam on these cars give that much power, maybe 10-15 rwhp, probably still be well under 400rwhp

Comment

Working...
                                X