School me on the Jeep thing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on the Jeep thing...

Kinda' thinkin' I'd like to have an older (70/80s-ish) Jeep CJ... had one while I was in college years ago, it was fun then, maybe another one is in my future.

(I'd really like to have another full sized OJ style Bronco, but those things are crazy money for a decent one)

Not looking for a rack crawler style, just something simple 4 or 6 cylinder, big (but not huge) tires, maybe a winch, pretty standard stuff.

What's the Jeep culture members of DFWM say?

mardyn

Honestly I'd look into a used TJ or JK. The coil spring suspension is a huge improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
      Honestly I'd look into a used TJ or JK. The coil spring suspension is a huge improvement.
      This. 97-06 are damn near bullet proof, ride nice, and can be had for 8k and less. Be sure and get a 6 cyl.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

What years did they start with the coil springs?

mardyn

Comment

1997. yeah get a TJ. ive had several TJ's and most recently a JK 4door. i love the TJ's! the '13 JKU on 35's just sucked for me as a daily with at least a trip to houston per month. if i didnt make those road trips i would have kept it.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

What are your plans? I searched hard for Jeeps in the 8-12k range. I thought that was what I wanted but I did not like how any of them drove. I ended up with a 2003 v8 4runner that I lifted, ARB bumper, 9500 Superwinch, on 33's. Just got back from New Mexico and plan on going back or to Big Bend April 9th. It is much more comfortable than the Jeep and still cruises 80 with no front sway bar very nicely.
            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                What are your plans? .
                No real plans, just want it for a toy.

Certainly no long distance trips would be considered...

mardyn

Comment

Comment

Since its not gonna be ur daily, ill throw another vote out there for the tj. Definitely get the I6. I drive an 08 jku. If it wasnt for the turbo i added, i would have already traded it for a 2012 or newer. The new motor is really that much better. I just bought an 04 tj yesterday for my daughter. They can be found in the 8k range, but u really gotta look for them. Also if u want the 6 and an auto tranny, they can be really hard to find cheap. I finally made the deal for hers at $ 8700.

Comment

I daily a 97 TJ with the 2.5 and yeah go with the 6.0 that 4cyl is slow as balls. And with a lift and tires I hardly see 70. But they are a lot of fun and can be modded cheap.
                      I have a 3" lift by using a 2013 jku suspension and rubicon wheels. Wench bumper and rock sliders. Still waiting to paint it. I have the paint but just haven't had the time. But yeah I got mine for 2500 and have put about 400 in it. And I love it. I do miss ac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 2000 Jeep wrangler sport and love it, it’s a great reliable vehicle. If you plan on putting 33 inch tires or larger you are going to struggle to hold high way speeds greater then 65mph with a manual, unless you re-gear the axles like I did. The ride is stiff and hard, but it a Jeep wrangler.

Here is my Tj in Moab Utah.

I have attached the break down by year for the TJ’s below.

• Last year of the TJ
                        • Jeep's compact SUV revives the Golden Eagle moniker as an option package for 2006. This package includes Tire and Wheel Group AAS plus spare-tire cover, unique interior and exterior trim, and badging.

• 6-Speed NSG370 manual transmission replaces the 5-speed NV3550 & NV1500 transmissions in all models
                        ◦ 6 forward 1 reverse
                        ◦ Max torque input 272 ft/lb
                        ◦ 1- 5.014:1
                        ◦ 2- 2.831:1
                        ◦ 3- 1.789:1
                        ◦ 4- 1.256:1
                        ◦ 5- 1.000:1
                        ◦ 6- 0.828:1
                        ◦ Reverse 4.569:1
                        ◦ Weight 40.5 kg
                        • SE gets 3.73 axle gears in place of 4.11's/4.56's
                        • Sahara Edition Discontinued
                        • Second soft top on Unlimited, called "Easy-Folding Soft Top" now an option. (Dual tops still not an option on the Unlimited.)
                        • New Premium H-Package on the Unlimited model features unique 2-tone cloth seats, silver painted center stack and instrument cluster bezels, bright grille and body color fender flares.
                        • Optional six-disc in-dash CD changer system that arrives later in the model year.

• Trail Rated badges
                        • The Canyon wheels in the 30" package are now "Ravine" wheels.
                        • Can be purchased in the U.S. with right-hand steering
                        • The standard AM/FM Tape is now a CD.
                        • There is a standard spare tire cover that comes with the 30" wheel/tire package now.
                        • There is a new "cubby bin" in the center "stack".
                        • Willys Edition:
                        • Columbia Edition:
                        • Rocky Mountain Edition:
                        • Introduction of Unlimited Model (2004 1/2):
                        ◦ 10" longer wheelbase
                        ◦ 5" extra rear overhang
                        ◦ Additional 13 inches behind the second row of seats (doubling rear cargo capacity to 29.5 cubic ft.)
                        ◦ Passengers in the rear seats pick up an additional two inches of leg room, and can now access the area with tip and slide seats.
                        ◦ 3500 lbs. towing capacity (Extra 1500 lbs.)
                        ◦ New Sunrider soft-top, which lets drivers open a sunroof or take the entire top down
                        ◦ More sound insulation
                        ◦ Revised springs/shocks as well as an additional cross member out back to ensure an improved ride and no loss of structural rigidity

• Exterior Labeling:
                        ◦ On Sports, the word "Sport" now appears at the top of the fender where the word "Wrangler" used to appear.
                        ◦ On Saharas there's a brand new Sahara logo (much more discrete) that appears about where the "4.0L" used to
                        ◦ appear on early TJs, roughly where the "Sport" label appears on 2002s
                        ◦ Rubicon has RUBICON label on hood.

• Seat Changes:
                        ◦ Additional 20 millimeters of rearward travel
                        ◦ Taller seat backs
                        ◦ Softer seats
                        ◦ Seats are lower sitting (more like a car)
                        ◦ Lever on the side of the front passenger seat for easier access to the rear.
                        ◦ Rear seats are equipped with the LATCH (Lower Anchors and upper Tethers for CHildren)
                        ◦ New fold-and-tumble rear seat -- release now on the top center of the rear seat and a new spring mechanism helps it fold and tumble easier than ever before
                        • New 3-ply Soft Top that is as quiet as the previous 4-ply
                        ◦ NOTE: Change in driver's side window: male zipper is now on window, female zipper on the top, previous years was vice-versa
                        • Plastic windshield trim (Interior Upper Head Impact Protection to meet 2003 federal standard?)
                        • Trim on back of hardtop and vents removed (vents added to tailgate)
                        • New interior electrochromic rearview mirror with map lights, temperature and compass display
                        • A new exterior mirror design reduces vibration, while increasing stability and durability. Shorter, fatter, and all plastic Now "ratchet" out from the body rather than swing out in a smooth motion.
                        • Doors - the key cylinder is now chrome instead of black
                        • Dashboard redesigned, openings for the radio and HVAC controls are now oval rather than rectangular
                        • New 4-spoke vinyl steering wheel for SE and X models
                        • New 4-spoke leather-wrapped steering wheel for Sport, Sahara and Rubicon models
                        • Smokers Package optional on all models
                        • On-Board Refueling Vapor Recovery (ORVR)
                        • Additional power outlet on the dash
                        • New flush-mounted AM/FM cassette radio with CD changer control
                        • New flush-mounted AM/FM compact disc radio with CD changer control
                        • Replacing the optional sound bar, new standard corner pods located just behind the b-pillar on both sides of the vehicle house interior lamps, providing theater lighting and optional speakers
                        • Energy-absorbing foam is added to the sport bar
                        • 4-wheel disc brakes optional on Sport and Sahara
                        • 42RLE 4-speed automatic option
                        • New transfer case skid to work with new 4-spd auto (lower ground clearance)
                        • Jeep Wrangler SE Changes:
                        ◦ NV1500 five-speed heavy-duty transmission. Also used on Jeep Liberty, this transmission gives Wrangler a synchronized reverse gear and improved shift quality in cold weather. 4.56 gears available with SE and 4-speed auto.
                        ◦ Jeep Libertys 2.4-liter Power Tech I-4 replaces the 2.5-liter I-4 as the standard engine on 2003 Jeep Wrangler SE models. This 2.4-liter engine provides an estimated 150 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 165 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm, representing a 25-percent increase in horsepower and an 18-percent increase in torque. This increased power and torque is achieved through the use of aluminum cross-flow cylinder heads, dual overhead cams and a four-valve-per-cylinder design. The new 2.4-liter engine is quieter, more fuel-efficient and engineered for longer life and ease of maintenance.
                        • Introduction of Rubicon Model:
                        ◦ Tru-lok selectable pneumatic lockers, activate in 4-lo and under 10mph, engaged until out of 4-lo or deselected
                        ◦ Limited slip in rear when not locked
                        ◦ NV241 Rock-Trac 4:1 transfer case -- fixed yoke
                        ◦ Heavy-duty driveshafts with 1330 universal joints
                        ◦ Dana 44 Front (Dana 30 outers)
                        ◦ 4.10 gears
                        ◦ Goodyear Wrangler MT/R LT245/75R16 (31") Tires
                        ◦ 16-inch, five-spoke aluminum wheels
                        ◦ Diamond plate rock rails
                        ◦ Rubicon Lettering on Hood
                        ◦ 4-wheel Disc Brakes
                        • Apex Edition:
                        • Freedom Edition:
                        • Tomb Raider Edition Rubicon:

• New Ecco Wheel and Tire Group with P225/75R15 OWL Tire replaces the Grizzly Wheel and Tire Group
                        • New appearance for the Full Face Wheel
                        • 30" Tire and Wheel Group, speed control, full doors with roll-up windows and sentry key are now standard on the Wrangler Sahara
                        • Full doors with roll-up windows, fog lamps and tow hooks are now standard on the Wrangler Sport
                        • Fog lamps and tow hooks become separate options
                        • New HVAC System with overall improvements in performance and quietness
                        • New Fuel Tank Skid Plate with Added Reinforcement
                        • Premium sound system that includes 2 new tweeters in addition to the existing subwoofer
                        • 7 year/70,000 Mile Warranty Offered (Not on early 2002's however)
                        • Introduction of X Model:
                        ◦ 4.0L engine and cloth seats, standard, less options than Sport (no Dana 44)

• New 4-ply Soft Top that is more durable and quieter
                        • Quarter-Turn Fuel Filler Cap
                        • New Anti-Lock Brake System
                        • Long Life 100,000-Mile Engine Coolant that is more Environmentally-friendly
                        • Quick-Removal Side Steps
                        • All-New steering wheel tilt mechanism provides reduced effort and an increased range of adjustment
                        • Optional molded plastic Add-a-Trunk for reduced weight
                        • Optional Amplified Sub-woofer
                        • Re-designed Stereos
                        • Mini Console with dual cup holders
                        • Re-designed Full Console with rear seat cup holders
                        • Sutton Vinyl Seat Material - Standard on SE and Sport Nomad Cloth Seat Material - Optional on SE and Sport
                        • New wider inside rear-view mirror
                        • New Multi-function Steering Column switch combines headlamp, fog lamp, turn signal and windshield wiper functions
                        • Intermittent windshield wipers made standard
                        • New Instrument cluster includes a fog lamp tell-tale light and provides Parade-Mode lighting, battery saver control of interior lighting and odometer display with door open
                        • User-Ready Child Seat Anchorage System
                        • The pull switch for the headlights moved from the dash to the blinker
                        • Late Model:
                        ◦ New Fuel Tank Skid Plate with Added Reinforcement
                        • 60th Anniversary Edition
                        Last edited by silver_2000_tj; 03-22-2017, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Continued......

• Alternator moved higher up
                          • Ultra Star 16" alloy wheel now standard on Sahara models.
                          • 4.0L engine now gets distributorless direct-ignition system, re-designed cylinder head, new exhaust manifold and dual-catalyst system (2.25" exhaust)
                          • New NVG-3550 manual transmission replaces the Aisin transmission on the models with the 4.0L engine (includes synchromesh on reverse gear).
                          • Sound Bar now standard on Sport models.
                          • Tow hook option now includes one rear tow hook.
                          • Sport's standard AM/FM radio adds a cassette player, Sahara exchanges a cassette player for CD player.
                          • Optional tilt steering wheel in SE and Sport is now the same leather-covered unit that was standard in Sahara.
                          • Child-seat tethers added to the rear seat,

• Hood cowl changed from a "3 section" wide cowl with alot of plastic around it to a smaller cowl...
                          • Removed annoying useless vent that leaks water
                          • Cruise control controls on steering wheel
                          • Rotary climate controls with bi-level air
                          • Defeat switch for passenger-side air bag
                          • Improved ECM
                          • Re-designed catalytic converter
                          • New "JTEC+" engine controller with new engine-function sensors
                          • Lighter frame - 16 lbs (8kg) lighter
                          • Nineteen gallon fuel tank now standard.
                          • 30" tire package came with the "Canyon" style wheels (15x8).

• Smart Key Immobilizer replaces previous Lock/Unlock keyfob system.
                          • Cruise control Available
                          • Ez-Entry Driver's seat now available
                          • Revised torsion bar for improved steering response
                          • Revised steering gear ratio that varies from 15:1 on centre to 13:1 at the extremes of travel for more responsive steering
                          • New steering wheel
                          • Next generation airbags
                          • Revised stereo range
                          • Hood latch changes
                          • 3.73 ratio rears and Dana 44 Rear
                          • New engine managment system wiring
                          • Dual Tops Option
                          • Added pads to front bumper -- front license plate moved to the center of the bumper
                          • 30" tire package came with the "Gambler" style wheels (15x8).
                          • Late Model:
                          ◦ Defeat switch for passenger-side air bag

• Introduction of TJ Model:
                          ◦ All-new, refined exterior body panels and hardware
                          ◦ Quadra-Coil Suspension
                          ◦ Contemporary interior appearance and dash
                          ◦ New frame with outstanding torsional and bending stiffness
                          ◦ Driver and passenger air bags
                          ◦ Optional ABS
                          ◦ Improved soft top (quieter and easier to put up/down)
                          ◦ Round headlights return
                          ◦ Lockable glovebox
                          • AX-15 5-spd Transmission
                          • Annoying useless extra vent behind the hood that leaks water
                          • No screen to in cowl vent
                          • Cambolts for the front control arms
                          • Knock-outs for the rear control arm cam bolts
                          • Ability to display the diagnostic codes on odometer with key on,off,on,off,on
                          • You have to switch a plug to disable the clutch/starter interlock
                          • AX15 for the Manual Tranny or a Chrysler 999 for the auto if it is a 6 cylinder
                          • AX5 for the Manual Tranny or a Chrysler 904 for the auto if it is a 4 cylinder
                          • Optional dana 44 with 3.55's gears
                          • Front License plate on the passenger side of the bumper.
                          • Late Models:
                          ◦ 3.73 ratio rears and Dana 44 Rear ?
                          ◦ Hood latch changes
                          Ez-Entry Driver's seat now available

Comment

Great looking Jeeps above^^
                            Keep the info coming.
                            mardyn

Comment

Great looking Jeeps above^^
                              Keep the info coming.
                              mardyn