Dozen SF troops pinned down in Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dozen SF troops pinned down in Afghanistan

More than a dozen U.S. Army special operations soldiers are trapped in Marjah, Afghanistan, taking cover in a compound surrounded by enemy fire and hostile Taliban fighters after a U.S. special operations solider was killed earlier in the day, senior U.S. defense officials told Fox News late Tuesday.

A U.S. official described the “harrowing” scene to Fox News, saying there were enemy forces surrounding the compound in which the special operations team sought refuge.

“On the map there is one green dot representing friendly forces stuck in the compound, and around it is a sea of red [representing hostile forces],” the official told Fox News.

A U.S. military “quick reaction force” of reinforcements arrived late Tuesday and evacuated the U.S. special operations soldier killed in action, and the two wounded Americans in the compound, according to a U.S. defense official.

The crew of the disabled helicopter also evacuated safely, the official said.

The rest of the U.S. special operations team remain in the compound to secure the damaged HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter in an area surrounded by Taliban fighters.

An AC-130 gunship has been called in for air cover as the U.S. troops now wait out the night.

Earlier in the day, two USAF HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopters were sent to rescue the U.S. special operations team. One of the helicopters took fire and waved off the mission and flew back to base.

The other helicopter’s blades struck the wall of the compound while attempting a rescue of the special operations team, according to defense officials who compared the scene to one similar to the helicopter crash inside Usama bin Laden’s compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan on the mission to kill the Al Qaeda leader in May 2011.

The joint U.S. and Afghan special operations team was sent to Marjah to clear the area of Taliban fighters, who have retaken most of the town since November.

There were nine airstrikes on Tuesday in support of a clearing operation.

Earlier in the day, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook confirmed to reporters that the fighting in Marjah remains ongoing.

"There's fighting on the ground as we speak," said Cook.

"Everything's being done to secure the safety of those Americans and the Afghan forces," he added.

The Taliban in recent weeks has focused its efforts on retaking parts of Helmand, and the U.S. has countered with U.S. special operations forces working with Afghan troops.

Jennifer Griffin currently serves as a national security correspondent for FOX News Channel . She joined FNC in October 1999 as a Jerusalem-based correspondent.

Lucas Tomlinson is the Pentagon and State Department producer for Fox News Channel. You can follow him on Twitter: @LucasFoxNews
    Trending in World
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Originally posted by Denny
    My God... where is their support?!
    Hillary is sleeping now...she'll get to it in a few days.

Comment

My God... where is their support?!
      Fuck. No shit, hopefully that article is inaccurate. The ac130 will help greatly unless they come under relentless mortar fire
      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Ugh, Marjah and Helmand in general have become the regrouping point for the Taliban and AQ. I hope they either get those guys out soon, or kill lots and lots of bad guys. Actually, both. Every second those guys are there, more and more bad guys answer the call.
        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

A POTUS with some stones would order withering air strikes (napalm comes to mind?) on the entire occupied area outside the perimeter of that compound. The stench of burning Taliban would make an excellent rallying point for those SF troops, and for the Afghan civilians caught up in it, too bad.

Comment

Meanwhile the bitch in chief was crying all over the TV today....
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Originally posted by racrguy
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Is that 3rd Group?
              I think it's 5th territory
              Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
              It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                I think it's 5th territory
                It maybe 5th, but 5th was replacing us in Iraq, although that was a while ago
                DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Spoke to my cousin a few minutes ago to make sure her son isn't one of those pinned down...she said she talked to him earlier and that he is currently in a safe area. He's on his second deployment to Afghanistan at barely 20 years old. I just hope he makes it thru all this.

Comment

What exactly is the mission in Afghanistan?

Comment

1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 19th. etc. Seen a bunch of different ODAs in Afghanistan. All depends on rotations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                        What exactly is the mission in Afghanistan?
                        Resolute Support is the official mission. Being special forces though there is no telling what they are really there for but the Taliban has been very active in the region the last few weeks.

Comment

Does anyone have any info as an update on this? I am finding nothing
                          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Can't find crap for updates

Comment

I am hearing they are out but not confirmed. 18 hours, 1 kia 2 wia

Comment

Working...
                              X