No announcement yet.

shoulder pain- what should I do for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice and wrap it. Maybe just lifted wrong.

Comment

All those years of the 5 knuckle shuffle caught up to ya?

Comment

Took y’all long enough!

I’ve just applied Australian Dream, we’ll see how that works.
        Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Go look for Bob & Brad on Youtube. They are physical therapists and have LOTS of videos on shoulder pain. I’ve found them to be very helpful.
          I always try to sleep on my back but I always end up on my shoulders. As a result I end up with knots in my traps.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
            If it is really bad and it brings tears to your eyes you probably need surgery. If it just hurts you might be able to work around it.

The permanent fix are the exercises that strengthen your stabilizing muscles in your shoulder. They are the rotator cuff exercises. There are four major muscles that you need to work out and you need to do them religiously.

People tear up their shoulders on a flat bench because their pecs and triceps are strong and used to heavy weight but these small muscles are not, the minute the weight gets out of the groove and these small muscles have to control it you are doomed if they are weak.

Search Youtube for the exercises
            Thanks Al.
            Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
              Go look for Bob & Brad on Youtube. They are physical therapists and have LOTS of videos on shoulder pain. I’ve found them to be very helpful.
              I always try to sleep on my back but I always end up on my shoulders. As a result I end up with knots in my traps.
              Will check them out. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                The permanent fix is a few stem cell injections. So if you're really attached to your lifting, look into that. I love lifting so I'd probably do it if it were me. Kinda expensive though, might wanna wait till the price goes down.
                It isn't that expensive really.

I know someone who has had them all in multiple places and swears by plasma. He's paying out of pocket, and still does it yearly on knees.

He's the reason I'm giving it a go in two months. He's way more a gym rat than I'll ever be, but I hate lifting around my one shoulder, and I miss heavier weights

Comment

I went through this a while back. After months of this issue and other things I got fed up and got some MRIs done last April, including the shoulders. Mine was similar to what you're describing and it was AC joint arthritis/tendonitis. I'm 45 and lifted regularly for years but this shoulder problem came up around age 43. Before the MRIs and physical therapy, I noticed that moving to dumbbell presses instead of things like barbell presses helped tremendously.

As far as PT went, there were some band exercises I did, but it was largely just stretching and being aware of posture while I'm at a desk 9 hours a day. Keep shoulders back, not slouched and rolled forward.

The 2 best stretches I did at PT and do now, are the doorframe stretch and the wall stretch. For the doorframe stretch just lean into an open doorway with your elbows at 90 degrees and lean forward with your head neutral so that you get a good stretch on your shoulders. For the wall stretch, stand perpendicular to a wall and then put one hand behind you straight back and angled down a little bit on the wall, palm facing the wall. Then rotate away from the wall to stretch the shoulder that has the arm on the wall - do both sides for 30 seconds several times a day. These 2 stretches and watching my posture have eliminated 90% of the discomfort. I am back lifting incline, flat bench, and decline with as much weight as I ever lifted with little discomfort.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                    I went through this a while back. After months of this issue and other things I got fed up and got some MRIs done last April, including the shoulders. Mine was similar to what you're describing and it was AC joint arthritis/tendonitis. I'm 45 and lifted regularly for years but this shoulder problem came up around age 43. Before the MRIs and physical therapy, I noticed that moving to dumbbell presses instead of things like barbell presses helped tremendously.

Beat me to this. When I had shoulder issues dumbbells' were the cure for the most part. Also if you are doing traditional bench, don't go straight across. Move your upper body up a tad to were you are hitting center breast maybe a touch lower, it is way less stress on your shoulders. There was a time when I had some personal trainers to straighten me out.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                      It isn't that expensive really.

I know someone who has had them all in multiple places and swears by plasma. He's paying out of pocket, and still does it yearly on knees.

He's the reason I'm giving it a go in two months. He's way more a gym rat than I'll ever be, but I hate lifting around my one shoulder, and I miss heavier weights
                      Sure beats the hell out of surgery. I'll take the needle over the scalpel any day.

Who was that baseball player... pitcher. Can't remember. Fucked up his shoulder pitching, fixed it with the injections. Swears by it now. Trying to talk my father inlaw into getting it for his knee. He's one of those fucked up knee people who's hard to watch. Every time you see him get up you're like "jeezus dude.."
                      WH

Comment

Iv been fighting what I thought was shoulder pain for 2 years. Come to find out I apparently broke my neck doing bjj and never knew. Make sure you get your neck checked out if it doesn't go away.

Comment

Bunch of old assholes in here! stop being a pussy and go bump some coke off a few stripers ass and you won't even realize you have shoulders.

Comment

Have you tried hitting yourself?

Comment

I didn't read all the posts but if you lift make sure you're balancing your pushing and pulling movements.

Comment

Originally posted by mike View Post
                                have you tried hitting yourself?
                                qotd!

Comment

Working...
                                X