No announcement yet.

Employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the handouts are the problem. I mean, we have had handouts since LBJ's great society programs in the 1960s. They haven't done shit for the poor but that is another discussion entirely.

The sense of entitlement is the issue, then it is compounded by the insisting that there is something wrong with "the system". Even then, the idea of entitlement has changed as well. Entitlement used to mean that people expected a check in the mail. Today it means these useful idiots expect everything to be handed to them with the thought being that they won't take a menial job because they feel like they are entitled to own the company. This was an attitude that was reserved for academia until recently, now it is mainstream.
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Labora View Post
      It is bizarre as it takes at least 3 weeks for the hiring process to go through and many will quit within a week before even fully trained. So I'm not sure how so many get by doing this song and dance with random companies and are able to survive.

Not to mention the ones that just randomly quit with no backup plan or other job lined up. I've worked some places I hated but always had my ducks in a row before quitting. We had 3 walk off last night from our nightcrew.
      I've done that before. I quit on my first night of work for two reasons. One, it was a toxic ass work environment where my co workers we thieves. Second reason, they put me on a different job than I was hired for, because the one I was hired for "wasn't going to be ready for another month", and they wanted over time on my very first day.

I noped right the fuck out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
        ...they put me on a different job than I was hired for, because the one I was hired for "wasn't going to be ready for another month", and they wanted over time on my very first day.
        I'm sure the job they hired you for was never going to exist. That's happened to me before. I gave em a few months and they finally admitted it might be years. I just said "Oh ok" like i was totally cool with it, and promptly left. Was at work at a different job 24 hours later
        WH

Comment

My manufacturing business is very mundane. Not busy work, it shifts throughout a day. You deal with customers. It's not a hard job. I've got two plants and they've both had issues.

I pay more than average. That didn't help all of it, but it did alleviate some of the difficulty. My other non manufacturing business has struggled even with above average wages.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            I'm sure the job they hired you for was never going to exist. That's happened to me before. I gave em a few months and they finally admitted it might be years. I just said "Oh ok" like i was totally cool with it, and promptly left. Was at work at a different job 24 hours later
            Probably. In the end it wouldn't have mattered, they had a 6 month zero tolerance policy for missed days and I was in the hospital for 5 days inside that period.

Comment

Honestly, i did the warehouse work in high school, and it bored me to tears. I was miserable and hated working there, literally walking the same lines filling tickets.

I needed something more fulfilling and i got it, eventually. I would happily work a hard 16 hour day now than a dull 8 hour shift back then and now i get paid quite well for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                Honestly, i did the warehouse work in high school, and it bored me to tears. I was miserable and hated working there, literally walking the same lines filling tickets.

I needed something more fulfilling and i got it, eventually. I would happily work a hard 16 hour day now than a dull 8 hour shift back then and now i get paid quite well for it.
                I'm with you there. I can't stand doing the same thing over and over for 8 hours straight, I will lose my damned mind.

Comment

It seems like when you hire younger people(cheaper), there's a definite lack of work ethic. They just want to put their earbuds in and lazily go about the day. And you can't keep a halfway experienced person there long because we won't bust our ass for peanuts.
                  Justin

Comment

The real money in "Industrial Maintenance" is when you do it in the field. The skills required are the same, and if a youngster coming out of trade school or a 2 year program will put in the work at a plant working nights or shifts, or overtime or whatever, and keep learning and accumulating your skills... it can be very rewarding.... as in twice the money.

My 2 year degree from ITT back in the 80s carries absolutely no real weight, but I've managed to land myself an area Field Engineer job for an OEM that makes plastic welding automation machines. I work from home, travel a couple times a week to one of several states in the mid south, and most of my customers make fascinating products, mostly car parts, and some medical. And I'd put my salary and benefits up against degreed engineers and even their managers any day.

I had to do a bunch of shit jobs along the way but if you navigate correctly over the years it pays off.

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                      The real money in "Industrial Maintenance" is when you do it in the field. The skills required are the same, and if a youngster coming out of trade school or a 2 year program will put in the work at a plant working nights or shifts, or overtime or whatever, and keep learning and accumulating your skills... it can be very rewarding.... as in twice the money.

My 2 year degree from ITT back in the 80s carries absolutely no real weight, but I've managed to land myself an area Field Engineer job for an OEM that makes plastic welding automation machines. I work from home, travel a couple times a week to one of several states in the mid south, and most of my customers make fascinating products, mostly car parts, and some medical. And I'd put my salary and benefits up against degreed engineers and even their managers any day.

I had to do a bunch of shit jobs along the way but if you navigate correctly over the years it pays off.
                      I agree, a 2 year trade school or tech school like TSTC is like a rocket ship to success
                      Last edited by HarrisonTX; 01-16-2021, 08:35 PM.
                      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Working...
                      X