Dehumidifier for Gun Safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehumidifier for Gun Safe

What are you guys using? Just a canister or an electric dehumidifier of some kind? Never used one before but putting more thought into it now and want to maybe buy something to keep my investment safer.

I have a regular room dehumidifier in the basement set at 35%. But they sell those tube dehumidifiers you can plug in and put inside your safe. Those get pretty good reviews.

Comment

My old neighbor gave me some big ass bags of silica that he acquired while doing work at Texas Instruments. They used them to keep microchips dry. I hang them in the safe.

Comment

I too reused bags of silica from random things I bought and just toss a few in there.
        Originally posted by stevo
        Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
          I too reused bags of silica from random things I bought and just toss a few in there.
          Same

Comment

^^ likewise

Comment

I had an electric bar in my old safe, but did a sort of built in safe at the new house and no plug in the closet so now I go the cheap route and toss the silica bags from purchases in. Not overly worried about it out here in the desert.

Comment

Boveda sells 49% humidity control packs that I use. I use the 69%’s in my large humidor, so I just replace them once a year. They are easy to monitor because once they are hard, you just replace them. They’ll make sure the humidity doesn’t get too low and cause issues with wood stocks, I have guitars in mine, etc.

Oh, and a buddy of mine’s dad died recently. They went I clean out the house and found a handful of nice guns rusted up in the safe. Definitely do something.
                2012 GT500

Comment

I use a few of these, have yet for them to change color, but when they do, pop em in the oven for a bit, and put them back in.

Wisesorb 5 Packs 40g Indicating Silica Gel Dehumidifier Desiccant Tin Canister, Wisetin Orange to Green Color Changing, SG-40 No Cobalt (II) Chloride-Reusable (Pack of 5)

Comment

Academy sells the little packs. You can recharge them when needed. I have them in both of my safes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                      Boveda sells 49% humidity control packs that I use. I use the 69%’s in my large humidor, so I just replace them once a year. They are easy to monitor because once they are hard, you just replace them. They’ll make sure the humidity doesn’t get too low and cause issues with wood stocks, I have guitars in mine, etc.

Oh, and a buddy of mine’s dad died recently. They went I clean out the house and found a handful of nice guns rusted up in the safe. Definitely do something.
                      You said 69.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                        You said 69.
                        Nice
                        2012 GT500

Comment

Just researching my safe and it doesn't look like I have a way to get a power cord into it. I see that Hornady makes a rechargeable dehumidifier but not seeing very many good reviews on it (hit or miss but it's also only $20).

Might just go with a big can of silica gel. I have a bunch of the small baggies that come with all kinds of stuff but I usually throw those in ammo cans. I'll have to "recharge" them as I didn't know that was a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                            Just researching my safe and it doesn't look like I have a way to get a power cord into it. I see that Hornady makes a rechargeable dehumidifier but not seeing very many good reviews on it (hit or miss but it's also only $20).

Might just go with a big can of silica gel. I have a bunch of the small baggies that come with all kinds of stuff but I usually throw those in ammo cans. I'll have to "recharge" them as I didn't know that was a thing.
                            I've used all the reusable types and such in that past and they work fine. A few years ago I drilled a hole in the side of my safe and use one of the plug in types and honestly I really like it. Never worry about it again - other than checking every so often to make sure it still works.

My plug in one (can't remember make model off top of my head) - came with the plug itself not installed - so it's a real small hole and you can seal it up.

The other options mentioned work great too, just I found that I'd go MONTHS without checking/refreshing them and totally forget. Then when refreshing I'd forget to unplug or otherwise move the process forward (life gets in way and just simply forget) - so having it just working 24x7x365 is really nice.

They are 20-30 dollars too if I remember right, so not a big investment.
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                            X