DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > God and Country

God and Country Politics and Religion

Old 11-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
scootro
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011GT View Post
All of the Hostess products are nasty. Fuck em.
are you serious? i was raised on these!

scootro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
Whiteboy
Lifer

Move the company here!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #23
Forever_frost
Bullet Sponge

UPDATE 1-Liquidation threat looms for Twinkies maker Hostess

Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:57pm EST

(Adds expiry of return-to-work deadline, comment)

By Carey Gillam

Kan Nov 15 (Reuters) - A standoff between Hostess Brands Inc. and thousands of its bakery workers was heading for a showdown after the expiry of a return-to-work deadline, with both sides saying they will accept the demise of the historic maker of Twinkies and Wonder Bread.

The bankrupt company is on its last legs, according to management. The company had set a deadline of 5 p.m. EST (2200 GMT) on Thursday and said that unless enough employees returned to work by that time, the company would ask a bankruptcy court on Friday for permission to liquidate.

The deadline came and passed and company officials would only say that they planned to issue a statement early Friday. Labor representatives said they were braced for the worst.

"We haven't heard a word," said Conrad Boos, a labor representative for Missouri and Kansas. "We are expecting to hear something first thing in the morning. They are not willing to budge or negotiate on anything."

Members of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union went on strike Nov. 9 to protest 8 percent pay cuts and other health care and pension concessions sought by the company, which has been struggling to emerge from an overload of debt.

The strike has severely hindered performance at about one-third of the company's 36 bakeries, company officials said.

"The significance is tremendous," said Lance Ignon, spokesman with Sitrick and Co., which is handling communications for Hostess.

The bitter dispute pits the 82-year-old company against the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union, whose members constitute about one-third of Hostess' nearly 18,000 employees.

While the company has said it must have significant labor concessions to continue to survive, the union has said the company must rescind wage and benefit reductions.

Union President Frank Hurt said Thursday that the crisis is a "result of nearly a decade of financial and operational mismanagement" and said management was trying to make union workers the scapegoats for a plan by "Wall Street investors" to sell off Hostess.

The union said the private equity and hedge funds that control Hostess did not live up to promises to modernize plants and trucks but grew the company's debt while rewarding themselves financially.

Management has countered that onerous union contracts are a big part of the company's financial woes.

Union members striking outside the Hostess bakery in Lenexa, Kansas on Thursday said wages and benefits had already been shaved substantially in the company's years of financial struggles and further concessions were not feasible. They blame poor management for the company's woes.

"We want to go back to work. But all I've done since I've been here is give," said 35-year-old Dan Carlson, who mixes dough in the Lenexa plant for $17 an hour and has worked with Hostess for six years. "We can't keep giving."

Many union leaders and workers have been holding out hope that some other company would step in to buy Hostess and operate the bakeries, but Hostess has said that is not a possibility.

"There is a perception among some of our employees that a white knight is going to come in. There is no white knight," said Ignon.

Hostess management said that the company would on Friday ask U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Robert Drain in White Plains, New York, who oversees its Chapter 11 reorganization, for permission to shut down and sell assets.

Hostess said if it wins permission to liquidate, it will begin to close all operations as soon as Nov. 20, two days before Thanksgiving, and fire all plant workers except those needed to prepare its facilities for sale.

Earlier this week, Hostess said the strike already forced it to permanently close three of its 36 bakeries, costing 627 jobs.

The Irving, Texas-based company filed for protection from creditors on Jan. 11, its second bankruptcy filing in less than three years. It operates 565 distribution centers and 570 bakery outlet stores, as well as the 33 bakeries. Hostess brands include Wonder, Nature's Pride, Dolly Madison, Drake's, Butternut, Home Pride and Merita.

Hostess has already reached agreement on pay and benefit cuts with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, its largest union. The Teamsters have largely been honoring the bakery workers picket lines. But on Thursday the Teamsters called on the bakery workers union to take a "secret ballot" vote on a continued strike.

On the round-the-clock picket lines, strikers were worried, but also somewhat resigned that any resolution was unlikely to be in their favor.

"We're all worried and scared," said 47-year-old Steve Blakey who has worked at Hostess for 27 years and planned to retire in two years.

"I don't want to lose my job. It's Christmas time," said 23-year-old Daniel Smith, who makes $11.64 an hour at the plant. "But if I have to take the cuts they're talking about I can get more from unemployment."

The case is In re: Hostess Brands Inc, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York, No. 12-22052. (Editing by Andrew Hay and Richard Pullin)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8MG19P20121116

You mix dough for $17 bucks an hour plus benefits. A monkey could do that. This is why the bakery is going under you selfish bastards. Enjoy unemployment until it runs out. And then you'll destroy another company, then another and another until everything is either shuttered or government owned you fucking leeches.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #24
mk5.0
Junk Collector

Where are those union pilots defending these guys lol...
93 Cobra
86 coupe
Ducati 848
mk5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #25
Forever_frost
Bullet Sponge

Hell, Teamsters seem to be for themselves. I thought unions stuck together. As it is, they get to explain to their membership how another union fucked them and they're going on unemployment
Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #26
sig239
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteboy View Post
Move the company here!
They closed the Dallas plant atleast ten years ago, I use to work for Rainbo bread off lemon in Dallas about 7 years ago I made 18.00 a hour and paid nothing for good bcbc insurance. Fuck unions
sig239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #27
Broncojohnny
Lifer

I love that quote, "I only get paid $17 an hour to mix dough"

Just came out that they are liquidating. Hopefully this guy likes making $0 per hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Last edited by Broncojohnny; 11-16-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #28
Captain Crawfish
Lifer

I will never pay one fucking dime to a union. This is exactly why
Captain Crawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #29
2011GT
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootro View Post
are you serious? i was raised on these!

They dont call those ding dongs anymore?
2011GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #30
Sean88gt
Avenge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK46 View Post
I will never pay one fucking dime to a union. This is exactly why
What kind of car do you drive? Watch movies? Sports?
Sean88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #31
sc281
Lifer

Quote:
That look like a ding dong to you?

in other news:

I just checked, and Starcrunch is made by Little Debbie.

WHEW... I was skurred for a second.
sc281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #32
stang
Once Great

I bet a Chinese company buys them!
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #33
2011GT
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc281 View Post
That look like a ding dong to you?

in other news:

I just checked, and Starcrunch is made by Little Debbie.

WHEW... I was skurred for a second.
Havent had one in probably 15 years. Youre right though its a little different.
2011GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #34
Nash B.
Lifer

Quote:
You're killing me, Smalls.
Nash B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #35
The King
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
I bet a Chinese company buys them!
I would suspect Grupo Bimbo will put in a bid, as they did with the former Mrs. Bairds.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #36
jayjohnson600
Time Served

Hostess is dead, bring on the Bimbo's.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #37
ELVIS
Disturbingly Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjohnson600 View Post
Hostess is dead, bring on the Bimbo's.

Chivas de Guadalajara

god bless.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #38
Forever_frost
Bullet Sponge

It appears that Friday marks the beginning of the end of the 82-year run of a Chicago-born American classic snack cake: The Twinkie.

Hostess Brands, Texas-based maker of Twinkies and a number of other snack foods, announced Friday that, on the heels of a nationwide worker strike, it will be going out of business, closing its production plants and laying off the vast majority of its 18,500 employees nationwide. As for the Twinkie brand? It will be going up for sale.

Three of the company's plants -- including one in St. Louis -- closed earlier this week as workers went on strike in response to wage cuts and new limitations in worker participation in pension plans. Now, 1,415 workers at the company's three Illinois bakeries -- in Schiller Park, Hodgkins and Peoria -- are losing their jobs, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

The Twinkie traces its roots to a Schiller Park, Ill. bakery where, in 1930, James Dewar turned his sponge cake dreams into reality. CBS Chicago reports that the cakes were originally stuffed with banana-flavored cream, but that World War II banana rationing required a switch to the iconic snack's vanilla flavor.

The Twinkie's flagship Schiller Park bakery is the small Cook County village's largest employer, according to Gapers Block.

Chicago was previously named the "Twinkie Capital of the World" as it was home to the nation's highest per capita consumption of the treat.

Hostess, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection earlier this year, also makes Ding Dongs, Ho Ho's, Sno Balls, Wonder Bread and Dolly Madison snacks.

"Hostess Brands is unprofitable under its current cost structure, much of which is determined by union wages and pension costs," a Hostess press release read Friday, according to ABC Chicago.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...hp_ref=chicago

Enjoy the unemployment lines you bastards. I hope we hit the fiscal cliff so you can only draw the 26 weeks. This is unions not giving things up when things are bad, when the company is in bankruptcy.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #39
CJ
User is editing post

The Twinkie - able to survive a thermonuclear explosion, but not the unions.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #40
mstng86
MEAT HOARDER

SON OF A BITCH!!!

Now what do we do?
mstng86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
$1 tat on alp's dik, alpdollstorytrue, alpplayswithdolls, couver=dumbass, ft's wife runs trains too, gaygay like white meat, gaygay likes the dick, naynaylovesalsballs, naynayluvsalsdolls, no svo tag weird, some1giveal$1tohold, svo #1 train driver, train driver<pilot<svo, wizard sleeve, wizzard