Raspberry Pi 3, now what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DamonH View Post
    Sprinkler System controller (Opensprinkler)

Did that work out pretty well? And was it cheaper and less of a pain than the shelf models?
    WH

Comment

I am making a radar gun with my Arduino, like those things you see on the side of the road that tell you how fast your going cause I be tired of speeding cars in residential.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
        I am making a radar gun with my Arduino, like those things you see on the side of the road that tell you how fast your going cause I be tired of speeding cars in residential.
        The first step was to get a doppler radar working. I found this microwave sensor that tells you how fast the signal is returning to it, and is in the X-Band range which is perfect. The range on it is far enough to get a decent signal from about 30 meters away.

The coding for that was not too complex, you give the device power and it returns an integer that you can use to calculate mph.

The next step was actually a lot more difficult. I wanted a read out display that showed you how fast you were going, similar to those things on the side of the road.

What I have here is an LED strip with individually addressable LED's. I used an excel spreadsheet and numbered them out and then wrote functions for each number 0-9. Then I had to figure out the number in the tenths column since computers dont natively see 29 as a 2 and a 9. Then I just had it get more red as the numbers go higher. Hopefully I can finish putting it together and be annoying outside.

Comment

I would've gone with a giant 7 segment display like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Gian...untdown-Clock/
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

That is pretty messy and seems overly complex. I am using 3 cables for the light, 3 to the Arduino and a power/ground into a bread board.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post

A couple of things to consider:

1. You WILL have retards that see that and want to use your street as a drag strip to see how fast their bro-dozer goes. I heard a guy burning out to speed by the police one in front of my house. An 8th of a mile away. Its that far to the end of my street and that's where the big burnout marks were. Needed a paintball gun. Sans the big burnout, this happened a lot. The cops were too lazy to come write tickets, so their stupid speeding encouragement sign had the opposite effect that people wanted.

2. You might have better effect by manipulating the speeders rather than trying to inform them of their speed. Those "Slow- Children Playing" signs are pretty well known now, and a lot more people will slow down in an effort to avoid hitting a kid, than they will just because someone thinks they're going too fast. To clarify I'm talking about the little neon yellow plastic signs in the shape of a kid with a red hat on. You can put a long flag in the hand.
              WH

Comment

Oh i wasnt going to leave this out, I was just bored and wanted to see if I could make it work. If anything I'll just do it one late Saturday evening while sitting next to it. I doubt it'll be super accurate.

Comment

Working...
                X