What to buy for conceal/home defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to buy for conceal/home defense?

I am not new to guns persay, but am fairly new to large caliber handguns. I damaged my ears years ago with a 44 magnum (severe tinnitus 24/7 since that day) and have basically used only rifles/shotguns with proper hearing protection ever since. Anyway, I am ready to get a handgun for home protection and to carry. I was planning to get a 9mm because of the possibility that my wife may get a chl also. I want a high end gun and am not too concerned with it being very small/lightweight if it were just for me. So, here are my options as I see it.
    1. buy a mid size do-it-all type gun for both of us. (I am not liking this so much since I recently shot a .45 1911 and really liked it).
    2. buy a very high-end gun that I want (*such as a sig P226 elite stainless) and tell her to cowboy up and use it too
    3. buy 2 guns, a smaller, more concealable 9mm for her and a .45 for me, possibly a 1911

Opinions needed. Just know I do want a high-end fancy looking gun for me. Thanks.
    Shooting for 1000 posts in 15, well make that 20 years.

6.2L Raptor, 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins, 09 SRT Challenger, 93 331R-block Cobra, 70 6-pack Cuda, 71 383 Cuda vert.

I personally wouldn't get a 9mm as a dedicated home defense gun...most 9mm ammo is high velocity and overpenetration means you might accidentally shoot thru a wall if you have to use it and injure/kill unintended people/TV's/cats/dogs (although I must admit I keep my compact KelTec PF9 on my nightstand when I'm home)...but I also keep a Remington 870 12 guage within close reach of the front door loaded up with alternating dove rounds and 00 buckshot. I'd say a .380 would be an easy to shoot compact for you and your wife thats also easy to CCW...and a decent shotgun (20 guage is prolly better for home defense) close by.

Comment

damn dude, I'm sorry to hear about the tinnitus

I've abused my hearing with guns over the years, but I guess my years of previous abuse from hot rods, power tools, etc. made it not so obvious that the guns did damage

I have to have white noise or lots of alcohol to fall asleep anymore
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Option 3. That way you don't have the "Well hell she has my gun now I can't carry." Plus you really want something bigger for yourself anyways.

I have my M&P Shield and XD in .40, and my wife has her Nano and LC9 in 9mm.
        92 LX 5.0

Comment

Buy her a Walther PPK, and buy yourself a Sig Sauer P229.

Comment

Buy her a 9mm shield and get yourself whatever. My wife has a Taurus pt111 or whatever in 9mm, she will be getting a shield soon. I also have an ar and a shotgun stashed for home defense.
            ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Take her shopping, and get both of you what you want.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Pair of glock 19's will do nicely

Edit: maybe a 42 or 26 for the misses
                2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                  I personally wouldn't get a 9mm as a dedicated home defense gun...most 9mm ammo is high velocity and overpenetration means you might accidentally shoot thru a wall if you have to use it and injure/kill unintended people/TV's/cats/dogs
                  That is idiotic advice. Every caliber is going to go through walls, you need to be aware of what you are shooting at and what is behind it. Quit spreading retarded rumors.

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post

Honestly this is solid advice. A M&P 9 would be a solid choice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                    This.
                    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

surprised this wasnt mentioned goto a gun range and rent a few models

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
                        That is idiotic advice. Every caliber is going to go through walls, you need to be aware of what you are shooting at and what is behind it. Quit spreading retarded rumors.

Honestly this is solid advice. A M&P 9 would be a solid choice as well.
                        All of this
                        Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                        It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

If you're getting one, all-around gun for yourself, I would worry much less about getting a "fancy" gun, and make sure I get a reliable gun. if you find one that is both, great, but there are plenty of "good looking guns" that are not ones I would want to stake my life on.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                            duh.. .45 for you obv

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                              If you're getting one, all-around gun for yourself, I would worry much less about getting a "fancy" gun, and make sure I get a reliable gun. if you find one that is both, great, but there are plenty of "good looking guns" that are not ones I would want to stake my life on.
                              Another bit of solid advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X