No announcement yet.

What to buy for conceal/home defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also for her, don't follow the typical "she's a chick she needs a really small gun" way of thinking. Let her shoot a few different sized pistols and let HER decide what SHE wants. Not you picking for her. You want her to have what she is most comfortable shooting.
    Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Best advice was to take her shopping / shooting.

My everyday gun is a XDM 9mm compact for a variety of reasons (size, capacity, reliability etc.) even though I have a lot of others to choose from. My Sig p227 is probably my next go to and my XDS 9mm is my go to when wearing hot weather clothing for size reasons.

My wife settled on a CZ75 after shooting Glocks, XDs, S&Ws, 1911s, Sigs...... the entire gamut. It's what she likes. Get her what she will be comfortable shooting when and if it is ever needed (hopefully never).

This is one case where function, reliability and personal preference trump saving a few dollars by a large margin.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
        That is idiotic advice. Every caliber is going to go through walls, you need to be aware of what you are shooting at and what is behind it. Quit spreading retarded rumors.
        sarcasm. nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
          sarcasm. nothing more.
          Hard to pick up over the internet. There are so many people with really stupid advice that you just never know.

Comment

Hard to pick up over the internet. There are so many people with really stupid advice that you just never know.

I was originally going to suggest a short 44 magnum revolver.....funny thing is...I know a 55 year old woman that actually carries and shoots one..and she's NOT a huge woman.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post

I was originally going to suggest a short 44 magnum revolver.....funny thing is...I know a 55 year old woman that actually carries and shoots one..and she's NOT a huge woman.
              It's all personal preference. There are some things that just don't work that well (25 acp) but for the most part, if it works for you it will be fine.

Comment

Sounds like you already know what you want. For her, take her to the range a rent a few guns to see what she likes. I've taken a new shooter with me the last few times to the range and her favorite gun is my Glock 30. Never know what they'll feel comfortable with.

Comment

I keep in my nightstand a Witness .40 with JHP rounds in the magazine. I know it will go bang when needed.

She may not like it because it is a full metal frame, so it's on the heavy side, but they are very affordable and reliable guns.

Comment

I'm interested to hear about how you got tinnitus from a .44 magnum, care to elaborate exactly what happened?
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      I'm interested to hear about how you got tinnitus from a .44 magnum, care to elaborate exactly what happened?

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

That is idiotic advice. Every caliber is going to go through walls, you need to be aware of what you are shooting at and what is behind it. Quit spreading retarded rumors.
                        You're a fucking retard. Everyone knows that when the G19 blows up it'll take out 4 city blocks! I know that for a fact, I read it on DFWM!
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                          You're a fucking retard. Everyone knows that when the G19 blows up it'll take out 4 city blocks! I know that for a fact, I read it on DFWM!
                          Now someone needs to make a .GIF of Arnold throwing a G19 out the window of his car and it nuclear detonating (from T3 scene)

Comment

Working...
                          X