Property Tax Appraisal Protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Tax Appraisal Protest

Anybody on the board do this or recommendations for a company to use to handle the protest for me? My appraisal is WAY up this year (on several properties...) THANKS

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the the pursuit of happiness......, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive to these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,
    I'm posting from my phone, probably while driving. Expect typoes.......

I think you only have a certain period of time to protest last years valuation and have to wait until they are billed this year to protest your 2014 valuation. Good luck either way.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
      I think you only have a certain period of time to protest last years valuation and have to wait until they are billed this year to protest your 2014 valuation. Good luck either way.
      Yes, May 1st is the protest deadline for 2014 in Ellis County. (I think the Dallas County deadline is April 1st?) Valuations are set now - then the city/school board/etc. sets the tax rates and property taxes are due next January.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the the pursuit of happiness......, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive to these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,
      I'm posting from my phone, probably while driving. Expect typoes.......

Comment

Originally posted by '90Vert View Post
        Yes, May 1st is the protest deadline for 2014 in Ellis County. (I think the Dallas County deadline is April 1st?) Valuations are set now - then the city/school board/etc. sets the tax rates and property taxes are due next January.
        Cool, I just wanted to make sure you were on top of your dates. I live in Grayson and I think the cut off is April 1.

Comment

Originally posted by '90Vert View Post
          Anybody on the board do this or recommendations for a company to use to handle the protest for me? My appraisal is WAY up this year (on several properties...) THANKS
          I did mine myself and have every year. I just sat there with pictures showing things they overlooked and then when I was told there was $20k worth of lumber on my property I asked for a check and offered use of my chainsaw. Then I sat outside with a big sign saying "This tax office hates disabled vets." Works great.
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            I did mine myself and have every year. I just sat there with pictures showing things they overlooked and then when I was told there was $20k worth of lumber on my property I asked for a check and offered use of my chainsaw. Then I sat outside with a big sign saying "This tax office hates disabled vets." Works great.
            For some reason they think there is $10k worth of natural gas under mine. Then again they aren't counting the buildings in the back so I keep quiet.

Comment

The appraisal district is all jacked up. My tax bill was 2200 my nieghbors was 3500 for a smaller house and smaller lot.
              "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Try hitting them.
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Tax valuation

I took pictures of the shacks down the road from me and the South Americans who have a junk car place and rebuild wrecks in the residential area. I also took pictures of the 25 odd wrecks in the front yard of their house. I also took pictures of the white trash and the discarded furniture in the front yard and the cardboard covering the broken windows in the HUD house they lived in. These are down the road (I live in the country) and I don't have to go by them unless I choose to. You can't see them from my place, but they are still there. I set an appointment with the "Good Old Boy" that reviewed property in my area. He agreed that the eye sores did in fact effect my value. But, PAY ATTENTION TO THIS !!!!!! He said I can lower the value $ 5000 without you having to go before the board of review. Then he gave the me the secret to solving the problem. He said, "Come see me again next year". I went back every year until I reached 65. I have one of the lowest values on my road, and now most of my taxes are frozen. The secret is playing dumb but nice and allowing the county employee to lower the value as much as he can without getting supervisors involved. You can bet that the county is betting on the fact that most people will just bitch and pay. Or, they will go before the board, and have an inspection of the property. You can bet your life that if you push to hard to quick, you value will go up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                    Try hitting them.
                    With a pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                      Try hitting them.
                      Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      With a pipe.
                      In the face.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
                        I took pictures of the shacks down the road from me and the South Americans who have a junk car place and rebuild wrecks in the residential area. I also took pictures of the 25 odd wrecks in the front yard of their house. I also took pictures of the white trash and the discarded furniture in the front yard and the cardboard covering the broken windows in the HUD house they lived in. These are down the road (I live in the country) and I don't have to go by them unless I choose to. You can't see them from my place, but they are still there. I set an appointment with the "Good Old Boy" that reviewed property in my area. He agreed that the eye sores did in fact effect my value. But, PAY ATTENTION TO THIS !!!!!! He said I can lower the value $ 5000 without you having to go before the board of review. Then he gave the me the secret to solving the problem. He said, "Come see me again next year". I went back every year until I reached 65. I have one of the lowest values on my road, and now most of my taxes are frozen. The secret is playing dumb but nice and allowing the county employee to lower the value as much as he can without getting supervisors involved. You can bet that the county is betting on the fact that most people will just bitch and pay. Or, they will go before the board, and have an inspection of the property. You can bet your life that if you push to hard to quick, you value will go up.
                        Yep. I take this same tact with the tax office when I get trucks and trailers or anything with a license plate. Very polite, very country and very naive with just a bit of a nudge where you want them to go.
                        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
                        X