New Planet Fitness in GP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Planet Fitness in GP

So the GF and I booked a trip to Mexico in a few months and it lit a fire under her to "get in better shape" which I'm ok with. So there was a Planet Fitness that opened 2 miles from my house and I knew it was cheap. So why not give it a shot as it's $10 a month (with a year commitment) or $15 a month, I've heard how it's not a real gym but if it had enough equipment that I could get a workout in with her, why not. I can do my heavier lifting at my BJJ gym I train at that has bench/squat rack/dead lift place once a week or so.

So we walk in and it's packed, that's good people getting in shape. Problem #1 I'm 5'11 and over 200 lbs and not in the best shape of my life...and I'm easily one of the 10 most in shape people there.

Problem #2 - I thought this was a joke when I read this before, but they have Pizza in the common area.

Problem # 3- They had a bowl of tootsie rolls on the counter

Ok I'll power thru that for now, if I can get thru the tour and find enough to do what I need to do.

Problem # 4 - No barbell's for bench press, I can deal with that but DB's only go to 60 lbs :\

Problem # 5 - No Squat rack or place to do dead lifts

Problem # 6 - A guy dropped a 25 lb DB and the LUNK alarm thing went off (it was an accident he dropped it)

We finished our tour, and promptly said thanks and walked out the door. Drove to the nearest 24 hour fitness and signed up/worked out.

I do see how the gym is intimidating for new people as we walked in at 24 Hr and there was a guy squatting 500+ and another Deadlifting 400+ right there. She has never gone to the gym since college/highschool where she played soccer and worked out with the other girls so it was a bit rough for her at first. But as she followed thru the workout, she got a little more comfortable as the crowd thinned out. Planet Fitness is like a baby step in the right direction of people who do absolutely nothing, but do not know how to actually workout/or want to work out. The place does not give them the tools to actually improve, just a place that's cheap enough they don't feel bad to pay for and not go. I seriously thought most of what I heard about PF was a joke, it is not.

Pay for and not go is right. The gym I am a member of is a anytime fitness. They moved to a new building and added a good bit of equipment. Membership has almost doubled in the past six months and I cannot workout before 8pm now due to the new members with no gym etiquette and these groups of four and five guys working out together and hogging entire machines/socializing.

I paid for the year but I'm about to go look at the most expensive gym in my area with the thought that it will be better. It is almost 800 a year if paid up front, but if I can work out at six without the tomfoolery I'm dealing with now it is worth it. I went this morning at 0600 to my regular gym and less than ten people in there until 730. At six in the evening more than 50 at times, especially monday and tuesday.

Comment

I'm at 24 now with the 2yr costco deal and its alright given the price.

The good:
      The one I go to is actually 24 hours, since the GF and I will go late at night sometimes.
      The lap pool is saltwater, and it doesn't really get all that much use.
      If you go late, then you can workout without issue.

The bad:
      Its really busy till about 9pm on weeknights.
      You have the normal gym trash that goes to sit around the weight section chatting it up or looking at facebook for 2.5 hours.
      The last time I went, someone had blown chunks all over the locker room floor. I tell the chick at the desk on the way out, and she said that she knew, but the cleaning crew won't be there for another hour...WTF

Comment

I had a 2nd membership with PF for a year, I cancelled it when the lady came over and yelled at me for taking the bar off the bench press station.
        WRX

Comment

I'm working out at the one story in Bedford now while they remodel the two story in Bedford and mannn, it's straight up HELL!!!
          There is zero parking now... have to park next door at the La Quinta.
          At 6pm, you have to take a number and wait for a bench or machine or walk up to somebody and ask to work in. I try to be very friendly and they usually say yes, but they instantly frown when my two workout partners come up behind me as well.
          It's past the point of asking people how many sets they have left because nobody wants to give up their machines.
          I have almost cancelled my membership there a few times and I am freaken pre-paid up for another year!
          Either way, it's not near as bad as what you suffered with PF Nasty Nate

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
            I try to be very friendly and they usually say yes, but they instantly frown when my two workout partners come up behind me as well.
            No offense dude, but I'd be pissed if you asked to work in, and then 2 more tag along.

Comment

Wtf is a lunk alarm?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  No offense dude, but I'd be pissed if you asked to work in, and then 2 more tag along.
                  No kidding. You'd see me not get up after my next set while I played in my cell phone for the 2 minutes between lifts. And I would magically have 6 more sets

Comment

Justin - That is pretty much a dick move there...

Comment

Free pizza?
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I'm working out at the one story in Bedford now while they remodel the two story in Bedford and mannn, it's straight up HELL!!!
                        At 6pm, you have to take a number and wait for a bench or machine or walk up to somebody and ask to work in. I try to be very friendly and they usually say yes, but they instantly frown when my two workout partners come up behind me as well.
                        It's past the point of asking people how many sets they have left because nobody wants to give up their machines.
                        I have almost cancelled my membership there a few times and I am freaken pre-paid up for another year!
                        Roughly 6 more weeks until the bigger gym in Bedford is open.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                          Free pizza?
                          That's worth the $10 a month right there.

Comment

This is why I want to just build my own home gym. I cant stand any of that bullshit. I have been with Anytime for 4 years and they finally reached a membership level that is unbearable on weeknights.

Comment

There is a smaller gym off 121/hardwood across from Firestone. Last i saw it was $12a month. I have
                              Not been inside. I rather join a small gym then a big gym.

Comment

Working...
                              X