Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's at least one reason to live in Austin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's at least one reason to live in Austin.

AUSTIN -- Google Fiber is a new broadband Internet network that is 100 times faster than anything available in Austin right now.
    “You could upload your entire DVD collection in less than a day,” said local tech blogger Stacey Higginbotham. “It's super fast internet, and it's cheap."
    No specifics yet for Austin, but cities that already have the service get a gigabit plan for $70 per month, or you can get regular broadband for seven years, for free, if you pay a $300 installation fee.
    “For Austin to really compete, we need a gigabit,” Higginbotham said.
    And very few cities can currently offer that.
    "Chicago's doing it, Seattle's doing it and Kansas City has it," she said.
    Kansas City won the first Google Fiber bid three years ago, beating out Austin and more than a thousand other cities.
    “I have been waiting for Google Fiber since they announced the competition way back in 2010," Higginbotham said.
    Now, Google Fiber is expanding, and multiple City of Austin sources confirmed to KVUE News Friday that we will be next on the list.
    “That enables collaboration that we haven't even thought of yet, imagine what people could build,” said Higginbotham.
    "You get those companies that want to be on the cutting edge and they could move here first and test it," fellow Austin tech blogger Tom Cheredar told KVUE.
    “Basically any start-up that could live in a residential house, now it's more attractive to live in Kansas City and the same could happen in Austin," Cheredar said.
    The official Google Fiber announcement is expected Tuesday.

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Not even a half a fuck given

Comment

No this is a cool concept and I wish the DFW area would've been chosen first. Not that I'd stand a chance in hell of having it, but we also already have some bad ass fiber infrastructure. Dunno about Austin though.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Id pay that 300 bucks in a fucking heartbeat. I've heard nothing but good things about it from the family in kansas city.

Comment

Internet is only as fast as the slowest internet internet internet.
          2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

Wonder how fast "regular" internet is?
            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
              Wonder how fast "regular" internet is?
              Up to 5Mbps download, 1Mbps upload speed • No data caps • Free service guaranteed for at least 7 years • Includes Network Box
              $300 construction fee (one time or 12 monthly payments of $25) + taxes and fees

Comment

We already have enough internet happy "Californians" here. KEEP OUT!
                "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Would pay that 70 a month in a heartbeat wish it came here.

Comment

My internet is already fast enough for what I do.

no fucks given.
                    Vortex rear stand $75
                    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                    11 4 door
                    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

I often wonder if the expectation is for every house in America to someday start a massive web-hosting and/or data-center out of their homes.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJ View Post
                        I often wonder if the expectation is for every house in America to someday start a massive web-hosting and/or data-center out of their homes.
                        I think it's just a sign of the times. People want faster internet connections. Remember back in the day when 56K dialups and ISDN connections where fast? I remember gaming to Quake on a dialup connection

As much as I'd love to have Google Fiber, I'd be shit out of luck. I'm lucky to have a cable connection.

Comment

Working...
                        X