Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
    Come on, man. It's not that difficult.
    that's not even the point, I wouldn't want to manage one for home use. that being said I do have a domain environment spread over a few vm's. but that's only if I need to test shit for work.

Unless you are trying to learn it i guess? I deal with enough active directory shit at work I don't want to have to go home and do the same.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tx Redneck;1034016
      Am I to assume there's not a logical troubleshooting process to follow to diagnose this? I wanna learn what's broke and how to fix it and maybe prevent it from happening, if possible. [/QUOTE]

Yes the delete it and re-add it works many times too. It has to do with SSIDs that are the identifier on the backend and boils down to bugs in the software.

From your opening post, I interpret the criteria you want all workstations and users to access a shared E drive.

Make sure all machines are in the same workgroup, make the Case the same although it shouldn't matter.

Setup or verify each user in the house with a shared password protected account or each user with their own local unique account. ( the account/s must all have the same usernames and passwords for each computer)

Verify the users you are logging into each workstation are part of the share permissions on the share explicitly.

- On this front, check the link : http://www.home-network-help.com/fil...windows-7.html

Also in windows7 there is a concept of homegroup, where once authenticated, a machine is trusted. Depends if you are trying to lock things down and add a password to everyone or just sharing files for the way you want to go.

Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.

Also

Make sure netbios over tcp is enabled, and the computer browser service is enabled. Sometimes the computer browser service, you have to manually stop and restart it from services, see if it acts funny.
      WRX

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
        that's not even the point, I wouldn't want to manage one for home use. that being said I do have a domain environment spread over a few vm's. but that's only if I need to test shit for work.

Unless you are trying to learn it i guess? I deal with enough active directory shit at work I don't want to have to go home and do the same.
        I guess. I deal with it at work, too, but I find it fun, so there's that I guess.

Comment

I want hard facts, not guesses. Sheesh

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
            I want hard facts, not guesses. Sheesh

The hard facts are that you need a copy of Windows Server OS, and a machine to run it on as the Domain Controller if you want to set up your own Active Directory Domain, and it's not that hard to do. However, I have not heard of anyone on a Workgroup or Homegroup setup having the issues you had, it shouldn't be doing that.

Comment

Not quite the response I was fishing for.

However, I think networking and I have a mutual disdain for each other, hence the issues.

Comment

However, I think networking and I have a mutual disdain for each other, hence the issues.
                Make sure you did what mustang_revival said. Computers should have all-but-full access to the share, and netbios and all that jazz.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                  Yes the delete it and re-add it works many times too. It has to do with SSIDs that are the identifier on the backend and boils down to bugs in the software.

From your opening post, I interpret the criteria you want all workstations and users to access a shared E drive.

Make sure all machines are in the same workgroup, make the Case the same although it shouldn't matter.

Setup or verify each user in the house with a shared password protected account or each user with their own local unique account. ( the account/s must all have the same usernames and passwords for each computer)

Verify the users you are logging into each workstation are part of the share permissions on the share explicitly.

- On this front, check the link : http://www.home-network-help.com/fil...windows-7.html

Also in windows7 there is a concept of homegroup, where once authenticated, a machine is trusted. Depends if you are trying to lock things down and add a password to everyone or just sharing files for the way you want to go.

Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.

Also

Make sure netbios over tcp is enabled, and the computer browser service is enabled. Sometimes the computer browser service, you have to manually stop and restart it from services, see if it acts funny.
                  I just got to mess w/this and this was the issue, how it cropped up, ionno.

From http://www.home-network-help.com/fil...windows-7.html

Note: You should also click on Security tab. Check the group or user names that are allowed to access this file/folder, and make sure the user/group that you allowed to access during sharing process just now is listed here as well (usually will be added automatically when you do file/folder sharing), if not click Edit to add those missing user/group.

If the specific user/group you allowed during sharing process does not match the user/group listed here, the missing user might not be able to see that shared file/folder at all! Or the user will get prompt saying that you might not have permission to use this network resource when try to access this shared file/folder from other computer.
                  The red was the err I was getting.

Thanks again m_r

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
                    I gave up trying to get windows network sharing to work, so I could use an xbox or receiver to play videos. GL!
                    Really? It takes like 5 minutes to set up. Hit the home button on your xbox controller, go to the right one section, go to windows media, it'll give you a code. On your pc, go to xbox.com/pcsetup type in the code, wait a minute or two for it to connect and that's basically it. As long as they're both on the same wifi network you should be fine.

Comment

Ahem, your L1-3 NETWORK is just fine. It's you app/server that is failing you. If you were having a network problem, I would help you troubleshoot it. There is a reason I avoid Sys Admin stuff, because it's flaky half the time.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                        Ahem, your L1-3 NETWORK is just fine. It's you app/server that is failing you. If you were having a network problem, I would help you troubleshoot it. There is a reason I avoid Sys Admin stuff, because it's flaky half the time.
                        You sound like an elitist IT jerk.

I keed.

Comment

Glad you got it working.

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                            Really? It takes like 5 minutes to set up. Hit the home button on your xbox controller, go to the right one section, go to windows media, it'll give you a code. On your pc, go to xbox.com/pcsetup type in the code, wait a minute or two for it to connect and that's basically it. As long as they're both on the same wifi network you should be fine.
                            lulz no

Comment

Working...
                            X