Texas Property Tax Reform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
    I thought once you hit 65 your property taxes froze at that amount, on your homesteaded property.
    Correct. You must file that paperwork. Don't expect it to just happen.

Just don't move to a better place. In the mid 2000's my parents home in Downtown was bought and demolished. They had hit 65 just 2-3 years prior and locked in a $1400 yearly tax bill. They moved to Lake Highlands (this was during the uptick in the economy) and were/are now locked in at $3400 paying both Dallas and Richardson. Here's the kicker no kids in my family have ever gone to a public school

5 years ago my pops passed. I called to find out if there's anything we could do to get the taxes lowered. I informed them my mom was a stay at home her entire life so she doesn't have a pension or anything like that and my pops didn't either. I used her neighbors as an example. An elderly couple in their late 80's and an old as hell weirdo son. All 3 are drawing pensions plus retirement and are locked in at $1k since the 90's (I looked it up to have a valid point and hopefully get them to see it my way). She gave me 2 options. 1. Move into a cheaper house (I said you mean into a bad neighborhood) or
    2. Sign the house over to them and she longer has to pay but at death they get the house

Till this day I've never been more heated over a telephone conversation

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    They can. Read my post above.

And I'm 32 so I'm not even close to a cap but I do want to retire in my mid 50s.
    Welcome to my world. I retired at 33 and 5 years in I've gotten the 10% max increase every year since. I'm more than likely going to have to go back to work this year solely due to property taxes.
    Last edited by hxbernal; 05-22-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

check your school taxes and see how much is sent to south texas every year . your head will explode.

Comment

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
        How’d you win the fight?
        We left. Sold all the property we owned last year. I'm now in Blanco County in the Hill Country .. "Wildlife" is my new exemption... They're so much nicer than Collin County.
        I know the new owners had a fight with Collin County. Our realtor was upfront and told them the roll back was possible..
        Property tax shit has really gotten bad. They will tell you flat out, its going up 10% per year... Thats BS

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
          I just find it amusing that the schools STILL don't have enough money. It is almost like they never will.
          Granbury high school has an aerospace program. They built an aircraft and students get to use it for flight time. I mean it's awesome that kids get to do stuff like this but it doesn't seem like something tax payers should be paying for. I guess it's better than paying the football coach $150k a year.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            lol. Kinda got you by the short and curlies there, Aaron.
            Not at all, there's a big difference between not wanting to pay taxes on something you've never used nor needed (incidentally feel the same about Medicare/cade), versus expecting others to pay for the house you are living in.

The validity and amount of said taxes is a separate discussion, and precisely why we are no longer ruled by England.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

The thing that kills me the most is that you could literally have your house paid off but still be stuck with a monthly payment well over a grand after retirement. That shouldnt be acceptable anywhere...especially not in a supposedly conservative state.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                Granbury high school has an aerospace program. They built an aircraft and students get to use it for flight time. I mean it's awesome that kids get to do stuff like this but it doesn't seem like something tax payers should be paying for. I guess it's better than paying the football coach $150k a year.
                This is what gets me the most. Some of these fucking football stadiums are absolutely insane. I can't even begin to imaging how much money some of the coaches and administrators get.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  Not at all, there's a big difference between not wanting to pay taxes on something you've never used nor needed (incidentally feel the same about Medicare/cade), versus expecting others to pay for the house you are living in.

You do realize there is already an over 65 exemption, which essentially does precisely what Notch says? Though it doesn't rid them completely, it does reduce for over 65, thus, other tax payers are already bearing the burden of the shortfall on the over 65 exemptions.

The thing that kills me the most is that you could literally have your house paid off but still be stuck with a monthly payment well over a grand after retirement. That shouldnt be acceptable anywhere...especially not in a supposedly conservative state.

My Dad retired last fall, and moved to our place in OK. Property tax is roughly $600/yr on a small house, two barns, and 196 acres. There is State income tax, but I don't have a clue what the rates are.

The downside to this is that the State is broke, and we've all heard about the school/teacher crisis. At almost 79, I don't think he really gives a shit about any of that. He's got everything he needs. He probably wishes the county roads got a little more maintenance but outside of that, he is unaffected.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    You do realize there is already an over 65 exemption, which essentially does precisely what Notch says? Though it doesn't rid them completely, it does reduce for over 65, thus, other tax payers are already bearing the burden of the shortfall on the over 65 exemptions
                    Dallas does but Duncanville told my mom to F Off.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                      I think the chatter I saw was that Venus City taxes did not either.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                        I can't even begin to imaging how much money some of the coaches and administrators get.
                        $158k for Hank Carter, the coach at Lake Travis High School. More than triple the average teacher salary at the same school.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          Coach Samples makes $139k a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post

The validity and amount of said taxes is a separate discussion, and precisely why we are no longer ruled by England.
                            Show me where in my post I said I shouldn't have to pay taxes. It's the percentage taken on our houses that kills me, you dolt. You should be a journalist. You're very good at twisting words to mean what you want, not what was said.

Exactly this. We shouldn't have to rent our houses from the fucking County and School District for eternity. A person's homestead shouldn't be the bread and butter for the tax collector.

Comment

Has anyone that knows real estate better than me been following Texas real estate tax reform?

The wife and I were looking at getting a bigger lot with a 4 car garage...and the house price isnt what kills me. It's the fact that I will be paying over a grand per month in just taxes alone.

So does anyone know if the tax reform going through the Texas govt right now will actually help rates...or will it just slow the rate of increase?

I cannot get over pissing away that much money to the govt regardless of if its within budget. Going from my house now to the house we're looking at will result in a 100K+ loss over 15 years from real estate taxes alone if assume a 5% return annually.
                              We finally agree on something. I hate, HATE property tax. I'm sure you can imagine what I'd like to have seen happen to the filthy government scum that dared to dream of it. It involves a noose. Property tax is what turned us all into slaves. They're freer in Italy because of this, apparently. I know an somewhat recent italian immigrant (legal) who is always talking about how he can't believe nobody in america actually owns property. Soon as you don't pay the parasite that extortion money, it ain't yours no more.

Its shit like this that made em pick up a gun in 1776 and blow ol limey's guts out. I'd support cancelling the property tax permanently and turning it into sales tax. No more property tax of any kind though, the government can never take your land or tax your land, only one who can ever take it is the bank if you didn't pay it off. Then we could work on making that sales tax next to nothing.

The way these sub humans operate, is they spread the taxes out across a million fronts in order to confuse the common man. If they just had one tax, it would always be low cause they'd never be in office long enough before the next guy was elected to lower it back down. So they have 10k different taxes.
                              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                                We finally agree on something. I hate, HATE property tax. I'm sure you can imagine what I'd like to have seen happen to the filthy government scum that dared to dream of it. It involves a noose. Property tax is what turned us all into slaves. They're freer in Italy because of this, apparently. I know an somewhat recent italian immigrant (legal) who is always talking about how he can't believe nobody in america actually owns property. Soon as you don't pay the parasite that extortion money, it ain't yours no more.

Its shit like this that made em pick up a gun in 1776 and blow ol limey's guts out. I'd support cancelling the property tax permanently and turning it into sales tax. No more property tax of any kind though, the government can never take your land or tax your land, only one who can ever take it is the bank if you didn't pay it off. Then we could work on making that sales tax next to nothing.

The way these sub humans operate, is they spread the taxes out across a million fronts in order to confuse the common man. If they just had one tax, it would always be low cause they'd never be in office long enough before the next guy was elected to lower it back down. So they have 10k different taxes.
                                You're failing to mention the reason for all of the taxes - to pay for all of the illegals and lazy SOB's that don't want to work (here and around the globe), and to fund the ever-growing federal government.
                                Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 05-22-2019, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X