Home network HALP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home network HALP

I have my main puter setup w/ E: as a network share for media and backups, accessible to all on the network(supposedly). In the Advanced Sharing menu, I have "Everyone" w/Read, Write, Modify as well as all the "Network" items(because I know NOTHING about networking.

Enter the problem... One user account on the laptop couldn't access the shares, the other could until tonight and I haven't a clue how to troubleshoot it. My WD Live TV box can access the share though.

HALP please.

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Are both operating systems Win 7? When you mapped the network drive and share folder with the 2nd user account, did it ask for login credentials? Standard user or Admin? Tried accessing the network share with firewall disabled?

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
      Are both operating systems Win 7? When you mapped the network drive and share folder with the 2nd user account, did it ask for login credentials? Standard user or Admin? Tried accessing the network share with firewall disabled?
      Both are 7, no on the credentials because I disabled password protected shares but have tried it both ways, both admin and yes to disabling the firewall.

Comment

I gave up trying to get windows network sharing to work, so I could use an xbox or receiver to play videos. GL!

Comment

Windows can get finnicky at times, I would just delete the share on the server/main pc and set it up again.

Comment

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
              Windows can get finnicky at times, I would just delete the share on the server/main pc and set it up again.
              This. It's much less finnicky in a domain environment, but when you're dealing with a WORKGROUP share, or the HOME GROUP sharing or similar, it can get stupid.

Comment

Okay, so how do I rectify and prevent this from happening again?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                  Okay, so how do I rectify and prevent this from happening again?

Cross your fingers, click your heels together three times, and take a knee.

Are you mapping it or just trying to access it? Mapping it may help, if it wasn't already.

Comment

C'mon now, I'm not Dorothy...

Am I to assume there's not a logical troubleshooting process to follow to diagnose this? I wanna learn what's broke and how to fix it and maybe prevent it from happening, if possible.

If that's not possible, can I do the domain thing at home?

Comment

I agree windows workgroup/peer sharing has been flaky since I've been using it from the win95/nt4 days. I havent gone the domain route at home but had fairly stable luck with using my Windows Home Server 2011 for my file shares
                      2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
                      1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Am I to assume there's not a logical troubleshooting process to follow to diagnose this? I wanna learn what's broke and how to fix it and maybe prevent it from happening, if possible.

If you have a server or computer you want to install Windows Server on, you'd have to build it as a domain controller, you can make a home domain environment.

In all honesty, I have no idea how you would troubleshoot your workgroup share permissions issue.

Comment

Try not using sharing encryption (if you haven't already).

Comment

You don't want to setup and maintain a domain for home use. I wouldn't for 24/7 use at least.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                              You don't want to setup and maintain a domain for home use. I wouldn't for 24/7 use at least.
                              Come on, man. It's not that difficult.

Comment

Working...
                              X