Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you are in a vastly different career than where you thought you'd be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you are in a vastly different career than where you thought you'd be?

April 2016 I was laid off after 23 years with a company. The next 14 months sucked out loud, but I used that time for a lot of self-care and growth besides the relentless pursuit of my next job. I got to meet a lot of interesting people. Made a lot of new, quality friends. Cut loose from toxic people and negativity. Grew more compassion. Spent more time with my kids. Finished some projects. Traveled across New Mexico in my old truck for a quick job. Was "bodyguard" for an actor who came to town and got to hang out and hear some of the coolest stories. Stepped up my wardrobe. Increased some of my skill set. Found others to help and encourage. I can tell you, if you haven't been through a job loss, you cannot relate to how hard it is out there. From dealing with BS recruiters, fake job listings, fake interviews because they already had someone internal in mind, "you're too focused", "you're not focused enough", "we'll call you.", and a plethora of other nonsense, I made it through a lot wiser. I am now about 19mo into my current company and almost dug out of the financial hole. I am still in my field of IT, but very different than where I was. I love reading about odd careers or how people found themselves in a vastly different place than where they thought they would be, but for the better. What is your story?

I was never with out a job, however, I figured I would be a retail store or sales manager my entire life but just randomly applied for the force where I lived almost 18ish years ago. I hated the job for the first couple of years but kind of grew into it. When I hit twenty years, there is a good chance I walk and go do something completely different. My wife has jumped ship a few times now, so I get the financial part! She went from the Navy, to dispatching (where we met),to six years college, to athletic training for the high schools. She quit that this year, mid year, to do contract work.........
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I got into the broadcast field at the tail end of betacam and reel-to-reel just before everything went digital and had to learn what IT was all about. Nothing IT related was offered when in college other than how to use Word Perfect on an IBM 286. Fortunately I at least knew how to type.

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
      I hated the job for the first couple of years but kind of grew into it.
      Too much "RASPEK MA AUTHORITAAAAAAAA!" I take it?

Comment

Oh yeah. I figured I'd be a car dealing grease monkey for my entire life. It was about the only thing I was truly good at. Then the opportunity for my thrift store just fell in my lap. I couldn't be happier now, I still get to work on stuff in my free time, which I still love to do, but I don't HAVE to.

Comment

For 10 years I was a data analyst a financial analyst. Thought I would always be a Corp guy. Got canned last January after a PE firm cut 25% headcount.

Now I'm sales for a commercial HVAC company (1 year today) and run my own BJJ school. I don't think I could ever go back to work for a large company unless it's what I HAD to do to support my family. Working for a company where the owners care about you as a person or myself is worth the small pay cut.

Comment

Joined the USAF in 97 to learn radio and communications repair on aircraft. Thru a series of random events I ended up years later getting into the railroad maintenance and repair field. I'm on call 24/7..365. I hate my life. Job treats us like shit. Stressed out all day, everyday. I'm ready for a change.

Comment

I'm in the exact position I wanted to be when I first started....but not the position I expected when I took on my new role. I wanted to be an engineering manager early in my career but fell in love with the technical side...especially simulations and new product development. I made the decision about 5 years into my career that I wanted to reach the highest technical level (fellow or consultant) available at major employers.

I started a new technical position last June as and was asked to manage a team 3 months after starting so I took that on. It's been great but i still ultimately want to be a fellow. Typically a management role will help on reaching that level.

I also never expected to have changed jobs this much and hope to stay out. I've never been laid off, but opportunity has just been so strong lately

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                Joined the USAF in 97 to learn radio and communications repair on aircraft. Thru a series of random events I ended up years later getting into the railroad maintenance and repair field. I'm on call 24/7..365. I hate my life. Job treats us like shit. Stressed out all day, everyday. I'm ready for a change.
                Make a change. Work life balance and being that miserable seeps over into your life. Never realized how much until I was forced to make a change.

Comment

I knew in the 6th grade that I would be an architect when I grew up. I spent 13 years at HKS doing exactly that - I honestly thought I would work there until I retired.

I bailed in 2012 and now I work from home doing civil drafting for cable companies. I love architecture and I honestly miss the challenge of the corporate environment, but I'll never go back unless it's my last resort. Working for 'da man' is exactly why I left.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post

I know people that work for the railroads. From what they tell me, I'm glad my colorblindness disqualified me and I never got one of those jobs. I have a low tolerance for workplace bullshit and policies that make no sense.

Comment

I guess I never put any thought into it when I was younger. I just kinda went wherever life took me. The only careers I ever dreamed of having were professional fisherman and then later on a forest ranger.

I realized pretty early on that I liked being able to control/increase my income with commission. That, combined with a knack for relating to all kinds of different folks, and being at least somewhat persuasive, led me naturally to a career in sales. That eventually led to me where I am now, a physician recruiter. I never imagined doing this, but I've had a lot of success, and I work for a company that appreciates me, and leaves me alone to do my job the way I want to do it, including working from home and having flexibility with my schedule.

I think I'd still like to be a forest ranger, but probably not enough to take the pay cut, and only if I could pick my location. I'd drop everything today if I thought I could actually make a living immediately and consistently as a professional fisherman.

Comment

I wanted to walk around in a lab coat telling people how to fix cars. Instead I sit at home all day wearing cargo shorts while watching TV waiting for the next support ticket, to tell someone how to fix their car. Sometimes I brew beer and tend to my smoker between calls.

Comment

Started off working on cars(Master Mazda Tech) then left to manage a restaurant our family started. And to think how much I hated staying after 5pm and having to work until noon every 5th Saturday back then.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                            I wanted to walk around in a lab coat telling people how to fix cars. Instead I sit at home all day wearing cargo shorts while watching TV waiting for the next support ticket, to tell someone how to fix their car. Sometimes I brew beer and tend to my smoker between calls.
                            Where do I sign up!?!?

Comment

Glad to hear you're on the upswing, Frank.

I'm in the same industry, but my day-to-day has changed a ton. Used to spend all day doing graphic design. Now I spend my time working on strategy, client relations and the most fun part, sales. My creative director is a better designer than I ever was. It's stressful as hell sometimes, but I like being the boss.

Comment

Working...
                              X