Asphalt paving over gravel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asphalt paving over gravel?

One of my big summer projects that I am planning on kicking off here soon is paving my gravel parking pad for my travel trailer and expanding it to the side so I can park my truck next to it.

Anyone have any recommendations on companies that will come out, re-pack the gravel down, and lay asphalt over it? Concrete is too expensive for just parking a truck and trailer on it. Will be using black iron fence around it so it will kind of match.

Thanks in advance.

Have you considered getting "asphalt millings or shavings" ? I have a private road thats about 1500 feet. We got lucky, the state was grinding the FM by the house and we bought the stuff cheap. Once heated, it packed down like a brick. Theres a place close to me that sells it, im sure there is by you as well. Just a thought
    heres a place in Ft.Worth

Comment

I recently extended my drive way and added a new car port... we began with crushed 2"-3" (white) rock, then after that compacted for a few months, we came back with recycled asphalt and then a month or so later, we had it over layed with regular asphalt.

The paver did a crappy job on the edges, but the rest seems to be holding up good so far... and he cut me a small break on the price cause he knew I was unhappy with he final results.

Make it very clear what you expect to the paving contractor... apparently I didn't and it kinda' bit me in the ass.

mardyn

Comment

Watch out for the pavement gypsies, they will screw you over if you know know that you're dealing with and what it should cost. Funny looking shoes and a weird accent beware.

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
          I recently extended my drive way and added a new car port... we began with crushed 2"-3" (white) rock, then after that compacted for a few months, we came back with recycled asphalt and then a month or so later, we had it over layed with regular asphalt.

The paver did a crappy job on the edges, but the rest seems to be holding up good so far... and he cut me a small break on the price cause he knew I was unhappy with he final results.

Make it very clear what you expect to the paving contractor... apparently I didn't and it kinda' bit me in the ass.

mardyn
          Who did you use and was it expensive just for the regular asphalt? I already have compacted white rock on top of compacted road base. I just need to dig down 2 - 4 inches and add road base and rock to a small corner and then it's ready for normal asphalt.

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
          Watch out for the pavement gypsies, they will screw you over if you know know that you're dealing with and what it should cost. Funny looking shoes and a weird accent beware.
          Ok, so is this a joke of some sort? I've heart of these "gypsies" but are they a real roaming people?

Comment

I used a local guy out of Canton for the paving, he was OK but his crew were a bunch of monkeys that were difficult to keep on task.... With discount for my displeasure, cost was $3400.00 for the actual paving (probably should have been about $4K), crushed rock and recycled product was another $2000.00 or so.

I can't remember the total square feet... maybe 1500 or so.
            mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post

Ok, so is this a joke of some sort? I've heart of these "gypsies" but are they a real roaming people?
              Pretty sure there is a big colony of them on the west side of Fort Worth. Out here they drive around looking for packed drive ways then knock on your door with the same story "just finished a job and have extra asphalt and will give you a hell of a deal". Their accent sounds like some bastardized scottish/Irish, out here most either do dirt work or asphalt, hints the name asphalt gypsies. The accent and leather shoes is always a dead giveaway for a gypsy.

I've had them do both asphalt and seal coat jobs, both were sub par and overpriced before I knew better.

Last edited by GrayStangGT; 06-20-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                Have you considered getting "asphalt millings or shavings" ?
                That shit will absorb into the ground eventually just like gravel.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                  Who did you use and was it expensive just for the regular asphalt? I already have compacted white rock on top of compacted road base. I just need to dig down 2 - 4 inches and add road base and rock to a small corner and then it's ready for normal asphalt.

Im in Keller and had TC Paving do my driveway. It was fairly cheap and they pulled the "we are doing a business locally and have leftover" sales pitch. But it was cheap enough and I hated my gravel driveway, I did it. The mexican foreman then decided to tell me they were gypsies after they were almost done.

Adding up they follow up every year wanting to reseal the driveway. Same guys. If they are gypsies, they dont move. They did a pretty good job, and Im happy with them.

Comment

Why not just a gravel base driveway. Which is just gravel mixed with concrete(dry). Won't be stable if you,just pack the gravel and lay hotmix on it. If you had a good rain storm, bye driveway

Comment

Call Domino's Pizza. They are doing paving now.
                      The hand that feeds, bleeds.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                        Why not just a gravel base driveway. Which is just gravel mixed with concrete(dry). Won't be stable if you,just pack the gravel and lay hotmix on it. If you had a good rain storm, bye driveway
                        The main parking pad that I would have them pave has been packed down and in place for 4 years, how would that just float away? The rain would run off the sides wouldn't it?

Comment

How has the gravel held up so far?

You see road now that fail. That's the subgrade that was not compacted well.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                            How has the gravel held up so far?

You see road now that fail. That's the subgrade that was not compacted well.
                            Other than my son take the rocks and play "hit the fence" with the gravel stone, its perfect. We used metal flower bed edging to keep it all in one spot, been there 4 years and is still in the same condition as when we built it.

It's got compacted road base about 2 inches thick and then large white gravel rocks compacted on top of that.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                              Pretty sure there is a big colony of them on the west side of Fort Worth. Out here they drive around looking for packed drive ways then knock on your door with the same story "just finished a job and have extra asphalt and will give you a hell of a deal". Their accent sounds like some bastardized scottish/Irish, out here most either do dirt work or asphalt, hints the name asphalt gypsies. The accent and leather shoes is always a dead giveaway for a gypsy.

I've had them do both asphalt and seal coat jobs, both were sub par and overpriced before I knew better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FortWorth/c...ement_gypsies/

In White Settlement.

Settlers Haven- Google earth it and go to street View. Lots of Brand New Trucks with Ladder Racks and Gigantic new RVs.

Comment

Working...
                              X