Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The age-old question: New or Used/Pre-Owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    If you just look at MSRP it looks like my f150 took a huge hit. If you look at true sales price it looks great!

Edit: here's and example https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/h...fographic.html

This math just seems really fuzzy. If I could have found a comparably equipped truck at a 40% discount to new and only 3 years old I would have jumped on it. The discounts were only in the 10-15% range for lesser equipped.
    I used the Edmunds True Cost to Own calculator for the 2016 F150 XLT 5.0 that I bought new for $36k (w/ TTT) and sold after 13 or 14 months for $29k. I used KBB and sold it to North Central Ford similar to what you would do with Carmax. Edmunds assumes 15,000 miles a year and I put 26,000 miles on mine, but here is what I got:

A lot of the numbers seem to be inflated. I think you would be better off making an Excel spreadsheet and using your own numbers.

If you're going to walk into a dealer and pay MSRP, then buy used. If you wait for the right incentives, purchase at the end of the month, and haggle, then the depreciation on a new vehicle isn't as bad as they lead you to believe. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike K View Post
      A lot of the numbers seem to be inflated.
      No shit. A near $200 increase in insurance w/in a 5 year period is a fucking joke.

Comment

I have never, and never will, buy a new car. First, I generally can't afford one, second, with the exception of my 2011 Ford Taurus, all have been great cars and gone high mileage with no issues.

Wifes MDX was bought at 80,000 from a Mercedes Benz dealership and it was in mint condition with every possibly factory option. It has 132,000 now and I fully plan on driving it to 175,000 or higher.

I just bought a 2007 Tundra TSS at 99,200 miles. These things are tanks, and there are multiple trucks documented at 250,000 miles and still going. One made it to 1,000,000 miles in Oil field hauling conditions that was sold back to Toyota so they could tear it down and study it.

I drive a $600 Chevy cavalier commuter. Cracked dash, crappy $250 paint job I did myself and I love it. It just hit 180,000 miles. Last Cavalier I had was at 256,000 when I sold it.

I am a major penny pincher though who prefers money in savings over a new car and payments. YMMV

Comment

Used or new doesnt matter, you'll blow the head gasket either way
          1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

It looks to me as though those lazy calculations are using MSRP for the sales price, and if they are using trade-in value, their depreciation is no where near reality. Someone that buys right and sells right will see far less in true-depreciation.

I personally have never even considered a car based on those tables, so their accuracy is meaningless (to me). I buy what I like, and will sell it for whatever it's worth when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
              Who is "we"?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
              Slow98

Comment

I sold my 14 f250 lariat diesel for $6k less than I paid for it(grapevine). Owned it 18 months, 34k miles and a set of tires, oil changes, two fuel filters. That's it. I've got a 15 f250 Platinum that's near 60k miles. I wouldn't buy it for what it's worth, but, someone will. I'm not sure on cars.

No point in buying a lightly used truck with sub six figure miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  I'm guessing he's either referring to the mouse in his pocket, or his wife. Wives tend to appreciate being consulted when making a big purchase such as a vehicle. Though the Mercedes commercials that come out around Christmas time may have you believing otherwise.
                  That is a myth. We picked the first new car she had, then I have surprised her with the last two. She either came home to it in the garage or I told her to get her ass up we were going to dinner. Apparently you boys have never had surprise new car sex! Plus, I watch her interests when she sees shit on TV or comments on a car.

Oh and the answer is, Wife/new car..............me, several interesting used cars.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    That is a myth. We picked the first new car she had, then I have surprised her with the last two. She either came home to it in the garage or I told her to get her ass up we were going to dinner. Apparently you boys have never had surprise new car sex! Plus, I watch her interests when she sees shit on TV or comments on a car.

Oh and the answer is, Wife/new car..............me, several interesting used cars.
                    Your wife apparently doesnt make her own payment.

Comment

Nor does mine, but she was at the dealership to help decide. She has strong opinions, and I didn't want to get anything less than what she wanted.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife was the adopted 4th child of a missionary family, meaning she never got anything growing up that hadn't been handed down at least 3 times. Since we've been together I have found I really enjoy getting her new nice things. I'm not rich or anything, and I still try to get a deal on everything, but it's just to much fun for me to spoil her.
                        She drives a car that cost half as much as one of her sisters house, her wedding ring is worth more than most of her family's car, and none of her clothes came from a thrift shop. She gets what she wants, but she doesn't want much.
                        I don't worry about her ruining her, but I do worry about the kid. She's obsessed with name brands and shit. funny side note, She wanted nike shoes more than anything in the world, so when my wife took her shoe shopping she begged and pleaded for the shoes that had the big "N" on the side. The kid still pouts when I tell her how much I like her "NIKE's" lol

Comment

^^^ Reads like 'the pastors kids' syndrome.

Comment

???? If that means does your wife work, or contribute less, the answer is she makes about 20 percent more than I do a year. I don't buy myself new cars, and she gets one that is a upgrade every time. Her current ride has ever whistle and bell imaginable. I can't wait to get the hand me down in four years. She told me the other day, and she has owned it a year, that even when she is having a bad day at work sometimes, she walks out and just smiles. It is called listening to your wife and knowing exactly what she wants.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I've purchased 2 new cars in my life, every other has been used.. There are a couple of cars I would probably be willing to buy new going forward, but only very specific models (like Toyota 4runner or Tacoma, or Jeep JL). Everything else I would rather save the cash buying used. We usually target around 50k miles or so, which seems to be a good compromise between price and time remaining before major repair / service. At least that has been the case with the last 3 Acura's Lea has had.

I'm also pretty happy with the Jeep purchase. Bought it used (2012 model purchased in 2016) and I've had it for 2 years now. I've put ~40k miles on it, and retail value has only gone down a few grand compared to my purchase price, and that's not factoring in the additional upgrades I have made.

Of course I've dumped a bunch of money into it, widening that gap, but I would have done that with pretty much any vehicle I bought. I've modified everything I've purchased since buying my first Mustang, most of which has been 4x4's. So I figure I'm going to spend that money either way. Besides, a lot of the stuff I've done is bolt on / accessories, and they still have value if I pull them off to resell.

Lea will probably be upgrading her vehicle this year, she really wants that Acura TLX A Spec. But we'll be looking for really low mile (like under 20k), used.
                              Last edited by Chili; 08-23-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post

Lea will probably be upgrading her vehicle this year, she really wants that Acura TLX A Spec. But we'll be looking for really low mile (like under 20k), used.
                                Didn't she just upgrade like 6 months ago?
                                Originally posted by BradM
                                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                                Originally posted by Leah
                                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X