Anyone own a first gen TSX (04-08)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own a first gen TSX (04-08)?

Thinking of dumping my cavalier commuter and going to a first gen TSX. Reliability posts of owners above 100,000 miles state they are solid cars and only the A/C compressor seems to be the issue.

Looking at one with 91k and he is wanting $6300. Several others in the 130,000 range being offered for around $5000

I like the fact they have standard HID's, moonroofs, leather and 201 hp.

Interested to hear owner stories.

For comparison, I drive a 2004 Cavalier (base) with 182,000 miles and while it's also reliable, every piece of interior plastic in that car is cracked, broken or flat out missing. Oh and a 5 speed in a 45 mile rush hour commute sucks. I miss having a auto

Iirc, it’s just a glorified accord.. should hold up decent, also should be way better than the cavalier
    "PSH!!!"

Comment

not sure how you've managed to drive a cav that long without committing suicide but welcome to the club. I've been driving 03 Accord Coupe EXL's (EXL=all the upgrades but with the 4 banger for fuel savings) since '05. Like you said auto, leather, sunroof, 30 mpg and stone reliable. First one I had for almost a decade started with 30k sold with 140k. Second bought with 90k currently 142k. Don't recall having done anything to the first. Second needed a starter (2 years ago), alternator (2months ago) and Schroeder valve leaked out my ac (common, cost ~$150 to diagnose and fix last year I think). Other than that I read these things had glass transmissions so I always babied it. Keep in mind these were/are pristine specimens b/c you get what you pay for in my view.

Pro tip: Always go with the factory Denso alternator (reman okay). neighbor went with the 3 Autozone/Oreily's before landing on a good one on a Pilot recently and that was not as easy swap. Mine was a once and done and payed the same price using Rock after sending the core back. He was jelly to say the least

Comment

It's a Civic basically.

Great cars, so is that same gen tl if you want more room/Power with a hit to mpg

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post
          not sure how you've managed to drive a cav that long without committing suicide but welcome to the club. I've been driving 03 Accord Coupe EXL's (EXL=all the upgrades but with the 4 banger for fuel savings) since '05. Like you said auto, leather, sunroof, 30 mpg and stone reliable. First one I had for almost a decade started with 30k sold with 140k. Second bought with 90k currently 142k. Don't recall having done anything to the first. Second needed a starter (2 years ago), alternator (2months ago) and Schroeder valve leaked out my ac (common, cost ~$150 to diagnose and fix last year I think). Other than that I read these things had glass transmissions so I always babied it. Keep in mind these were/are pristine specimens b/c you get what you pay for in my view.

Pro tip: Always go with the factory Denso alternator (reman okay). neighbor went with the 3 Autozone/Oreily's before landing on a good one on a Pilot recently and that was not as easy swap. Mine was a once and done and payed the same price using Rock after sending the core back. He was jelly to say the least
          That holds true for ANY Honda part. I'm on my 3rd Civic since I started driving. I had issues with any part that was not Honda OEM parts. Remans, as stated, are ok. I made the mistake when my car was in the shop under the extended warranty, allowing them to install a non OEM A/C compressor, and it is now making all sorts of noises.
          Originally posted by Leah
          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post
            not sure how you've managed to drive a cav that long without committing suicide but welcome to the club.
            Lol, thanks. It's been rough. It's underpowered, ugly and I can barely see at night even after installing LED bulbs and new headlights (LED's are nice and have built in glare shields so I am not blinding everyone)

Only problem is it is paid for and is like the old ugly beat up farm dog - loyal and reliable. All it would take is a moderate rear ending or side swipe and it will be totaled (KBB has it at $1136 in fair)

Comment

KBB can suck it. Who in their right mind would pay more than tree fiddy for one of those?

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
                Lol, thanks. It's been rough. It's underpowered, ugly and I can barely see at night even after installing LED bulbs and new headlights (LED's are nice and have built in glare shields so I am not blinding everyone)

Only problem is it is paid for and is like the old ugly beat up farm dog - loyal and reliable. All it would take is a moderate rear ending or side swipe and it will be totaled (KBB has it at $1136 in fair)
                I can't remember the last time I saw a cavalier on the road. You must own the only one that made it to 180k.
                2006 Civic SI
                2009 Pilot
                1988 GT
                CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                  I can't remember the last time I saw a cavalier on the road. You must own the only one that made it to 180k.
                  So...you're saying I now have a rare collector vehicle? Sweet, that bumps it to at least $1200 value. True story, my family had a "loaner" car that got passed around between the kids when we were youngins. 1996 Base model, made it to 266,000 miles and we sold it in decent condition for $1000

And lol Blake, you jus jelly

Comment

Working...
                  X