Diesel guys in here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel guys in here

So I drove my 2013 2wd CC to Ft Walten (Destin is 5 miles away) this week. Average speed of 80, times was faster and once we got into Florida slower. Truck holds 34 gallons of fuel. Truck has a 4" down pipe and 5" from there back with no muffler, AFE cai and a Kory Willis Tune (PPEI). All the emissions shit is gone.

I bet my dad I could make the trip on one tank (704.2miles). He has a gas truck, he stopped 2 times for fuel just to top it off. I made it from Dallas all the way there on one tank (and back). I was pretty excited, it held 31.4 gallons of fuel when I filled it up. Averaged 22.4 mpg at those speeds.

Pretty excited to say the least! Wish I would have bought a big truck a long time ago!
    Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

I really need to EGR delete mine
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I still have that, it's disabled in the tune though.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out how the concept of emissions controls hold water when it costs you up to 35% of your mileage, injects more fuel to clean up the burnt fuel, and requires a ton more consumable product that needs to be mined. Seems like a serious exercise in diminished returns.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
          I'm still trying to figure out how the concept of emissions controls hold water when it costs you up to 35% of your mileage, injects more fuel to clean up the burnt fuel, and requires a ton more consumable product that needs to be mined. Seems like a serious exercise in diminished returns.
          Sounds like everything else the government does.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
            At least they're consistant. Kinda funny to remove that crap and get more mileage

Comment

4-6 mpg improvement over stock.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                Since I'm familiar with them, look at Cummins, they have been driving the various "technologies" when it comes to emissions. Their revenues and profits have exploded over the last decade +/-. And at least in the on-highway applications, the reliability and longevity of the engines, components, and so forth, have suffered greatly, along with mileage. The cost of ownership has skyrocketed, especially for the secondary owners. Perhaps they just saw the writing on the wall and got in front of it all, but they haven't been harmed at all with increased regulations.

Comment

well, color me jealous.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I guess I should have said it was a Duramax.

Comment

For HD engines greenhouse gas (CO) was not required to be controlled until just this year(2014). "Burn more fuel? We don't care... but it had better burn clean" was the attitude. Now CO is being regulated as well which drives [even more] efficiency

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                        For HD engines greenhouse gas (CO) was not required to be controlled until just this year(2014). "Burn more fuel? We don't care... but it had better burn clean" was the attitude. Now CO is being regulated as well which drives [even more] efficiency
                        But when do they actually become efficient? If you consider all things (cost of ownership, fuel, replacement, downtime, parts, etc.) Then an n14 is far cheaper than an ISX15. Or even 12v vs. 6.7 HPCR.

I have no clue what kind of fuel consumption the HHP use. Is it rated in gallons per hour?

Comment

But when do they actually become efficient? If you consider all things (cost of ownership, fuel, replacement, downtime, parts, etc.) Then an n14 is far cheaper than an ISX15. Or even 12v vs. 6.7 HPCR.
                          The Saturn V program cost less than the space shuttle program (like 4x less) and it took us to the damn moon, but once it was out the door it was never coming back. Gotta keep marching to the beat of "technology."

I have no clue what kind of fuel consumption the HHP use. Is it rated in gallons per hour?

Here's a HD comparison.

2007 ISX15 - 550 hp / 1850 ft-lbs
                          Fuel Consumption at rated power/speed (550 hp @ 2000 rpm): 201.2 lb/hr (28.34 gph)

2013 ISX15 - 550 hp / 1850 ft-lbs
                          Fuel Consumption at rated power/speed (550 hp @ 2000 rpm): 198.3 lb/hr (27.93 gph)

I think for a OTR truck you assume 1 hour = 50 miles conversion, so over 500,000 miles that's a savings of 4100 gallons (nearly $15,000 in fuel).

But to answer your question, the HHP stuff is way up there. The 2250 hp @ 1900 rpm QSK50 frac rating is 0.344 lb/hp-hr @ rated power/speed.

That's 110 gallons per hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                            The Saturn V program cost less than the space shuttle program too (like 4x less), but once it was out the door it was never coming back. Gotta keep marching to the beat of "technology."
                            Granted, and you're correct. I recognize growing pains.

Here's a HD comparison.

2007 ISX15 - 550 hp / 1850 ft-lbs
                            Fuel Consumption at rated speed (550 hp @ 2000 rpm): 201.2 lb/hr (28.34 gph)

2013 ISX15 - 550 hp / 1850 ft-lbs
                            Fuel Consumption at rated speed (550 hp @ 2000 rpm): 198.3 lb/hr (27.93 gph)

I think for a OTR truck you assume 1 hour = 50 miles conversion, so over 500,000 miles that's a savings of 4100 gallons (nearly $15,000 in fuel).

But to answer your question, the HHP stuff is way up there. The 2250 hp @ 1900 rpm QSK50 frac rating is 0.344 lb/hp-hr @ rated power/speed.

That's 110 gallons per hour.
                            I know they were working to improve, but when I was up there, they were not getting anywhere close to hitting the factory numbers. That could be due to numerous factors as well as we couldn't get a high altitude calibration that was worth a shit.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeChevyII View Post
                              So I drove my 2013 2wd CC to Ft Walten (Destin is 5 miles away) this week. Average speed of 80, times was faster and once we got into Florida slower. Truck holds 34 gallons of fuel. Truck has a 4" down pipe and 5" from there back with no muffler, AFE cai and a Kory Willis Tune (PPEI). All the emissions shit is gone.

I bet my dad I could make the trip on one tank (704.2miles). He has a gas truck, he stopped 2 times for fuel just to top it off. I made it from Dallas all the way there on one tank (and back). I was pretty excited, it held 31.4 gallons of fuel when I filled it up. Averaged 22.4 mpg at those speeds.

Pretty excited to say the least! Wish I would have bought a big truck a long time ago!

Typical look at me braggadocio.....

Isn't this the guy that did so many Mods to a new Camaro it burned itself to the ground in a ceremonial blaze of glory ?
                              sigpic
                              "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
                              through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
                              We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
                              my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

Working...
                              X