No announcement yet.

Birddog0347 rescues a Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I finally got the car aligned on Friday (in the rain of course after washing both cars), took nearly 3 hours for them to do it all and they got it pretty close to what Jack at MM had suggested to me but some of the adjustments got maxed out before they could reach the suggested settings.

The car is a whole different animal now with the MM kit and an alignment (I never got the rear aligned after installing it as I knew I'd be replacing springs/shocks). When I would hit a bump before the front suspension would barely move and the rear would bounce all over due to the completely wrong spring rates (eibach in front and cut stock IRS in rear). Also any large bump would cause my rear tires to move up enough to contact the fenders and would rub every so slightly. In a turn, if I applied any throttle it was so unpredictable and did not feel planted at all. It was like all the sudden the rear hit a small patch of ice and felt as if it stepped over 8-12 inches then caught traction mid turd.

Well, with the new suspension in there and properly aligned that feeling is gone. The car has a FAR better ride than it had before and now I'm really happy with the decision to go with the IRS in the rear. I've only put a few miles on it so far, and plan to drive it more tomorrow, but it feels balanced now. It just feels SOLID. The suspension isn't overly stiff, and rides way better than the sportlines did, and I don't feel like the NVH really increased at all over what I had before. I think having the poly control arm bushings and what not already had the NVH increased as it were... There doesn't seem to be much body roll either, and the rear end doesn't feel like it's going to bottom out or rub the tires anymore either.

The vastly improved suspension however makes my steering setup more of a glaring problem. The problem is the vague feeling that's so familiar with a Fox chassis. The car simply doesn't respond quickly to steering input, there's a rather large dead zone in the center of the steering, and changing direction quickly right/left/right/left it feels notchy when changing. I've known I need a new pump for a while as it whines a lot, but I've been putting that off till I decide to do a new rack, bump steer, etc. I guess I'll start saving up for those items and need to decide what to go with. I'm thinking of going with the Cortex racing rack ($349), new pump ($90.97 pump/hose/filter), MM BS kit ($149), and MM solid steering shaft ($219.97), MM BS Gauge ($97.95). I've already swapped my steering wheel/column for the non-airbag tilt wheel. The above parts would cost quite a bit though, total of $906.89 and then I'd need to re-align it I'm sure.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Steering shaft and rebuilt 03 cobra rack. Then cut the pressure spring in the pumps valve.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Have you considered a manual rack? My 95 has a FR manual rack, MM solid shaft and MM bumpsteer and it's very easy to drive. I daily it.
        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

So I haven't addressed my steering yet, and I'm pretty sure I need my rear gears checked out based on me likely screwing up the pinion flange swap on the IRS, but I got a good deal from Tony (forum insurance sponsor) on his TW 170 heads, scorpion rockers, pushrods, etc. and I'm looking forward to cleaning them all up and doing the install later this summer. I'll still need a cam unless I stick with the stock so I'm not sure if I want OTS or a custom one... I'm so up in the air about it. I'm tired of doing things twice and won't be in a hurry on this, but I also don't have a lot more money to drop in it right now, or for the rest of the year I'm sure. I also picked up a MM strut tower brace that I'm sure I'll install when I do the head swap.

Question: the heads are grooved for a loc-wire head gasket... do I HAVE to use a loc-wire gasket now or is it just an option? If I get a better cam, I'm sure I'll have to replace the valve springs for something better, which is one of the reasons I'm considering just leaving it stock or going with like a TFS-1 cam knowing I'll leave a lot on the table. Thoughts?

Stevo

Comment

You still got those CC plates you were selling? That was you right?
            Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
              You still got those CC plates you were selling? That was you right?
              Yes, I still have those and the struts/shocks for sale.

Stevo

Comment

So I wanted to start out with a big thanks to Baron Von Crowder and Greenbullitt for the help and the rebuild on my rear diff!

When I installed the IRS in my coupe I had read online that I'd need to swap the pinion flange from the stick axle to the IRS so my driveshaft would work. Well, everything I read said just unbolt and then bolt up the other flange so that's what I did but in the process I ruined the old seal and it leaked. I also didn't record the torque reading first, then after replacing the seal I didn't get the pinion nut tight enough. Well, about 500 miles later the gear set and pinion bearing were trashed. It got to the point where I couldn't even drive it on the highway as anything over 45-50mph started causing a bad sound/vibration that got far worse with speed and the on/off throttle transition was unbearable.

Being an IRS rear it's a lot more expensive for shops to work on them and do a gear swap cause everything has to come apart to get at the gears. I decided since I didn't want to have to do it more than once, I went ahead and got the kit from LMR with new 3.55 gears, bearings, seals, fluid, etc. and removed the diff in my garage then took it to DJ's shop where Paul and DJ fixed my mess.

While everything was out, I decided I better go ahead and do the control arm bushings as they were the only ones still rubber, but the worst ones to be rubber due to the wheel hop. Since I didn't have the $500+ for the delrin bushings I got the prothane IRS control arm bushings from LMR for like $80 and installed them. I also decided to get them because it's a street car and I have poly in the front control arms and like it, so it's good enough and a pretty easy install. I also installed my MM Strut tower brace that I had sitting on the bench.

I got the diff back from DJ/Paul yesterday and tonight it was all put back together and running/driving. I haven't left the neighborhood yet as I needed to do a few other things like fix my headlight aiming, but it feels TONS better and drives great so far. I can finally use the car again I think.

Few pics:

Stevo

Comment

sweet ride man

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                    sweet ride man
                    Bet you wish you had a sweet ride
                    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                      sweet ride man
                      Thanks!

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                      Bet you wish you had a sweet ride
                      Rodney's truck should be sweet if he ever gets it done, but such is life with these projects.

Stevo

Comment

good deal
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

thats slick and I bet it rides awesome.

Comment

back in business, awesome! you should come to TWS in a few weeks
                            Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I want to, but I'm going to have to do auto x first and put miles on it to shake out any other issues. After that I'll try to do something closer first like Cresson or ECR. The other night I had worked on the car for a bit and put the trunk liner panels back in, the next morning I went to drive my son to school in it and it wouldn't start. The fuel pump wasn't running or priming at all so I pulled the panels out again and found the wire below in the pic was knocked loose. Once I put it back on it runs again but now I have to unfuck this mess and figure out why this is there at all. That pic is just inside the trunk on the back side of the driver's side tail light and the red wire runs through the trunk under the rear seat back towards the front under the carpet.

Stevo

Comment

Inertia sensor bypass/kill switch?
                                WRX

Comment

Working...
                                X