Microwave alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jluv View Post
    We have a fancy convection oven thing and I can't tell the difference other than the fan noise. We just use the regular baking anymore.
    Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
    We have a counter top unit that does both, I can say my bacon cooks faster on convection than without

They do cook 20-25% faster than a standard oven. They are more precise when it comes to temperature. A standard oven will have a thermostat that can be +/- 25 degrees, whereas a convection oven will have a tighter swing, say +/- 5 degrees or so. Convection ovens, when designed properly, are better for precision cooking/baking due to the air flow. You don't have to turn pans halfway through a bake/cook for even browning, etc.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
      surveillance
      Don't give them any ideas.

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
      Why is a microwave so bad?
      All I can really say is just check it out via google. If you do enough reading on the subject, and you care about eating right, you won't want your microwave anymore. They have a bad habit of destroying a lot of nutrients, that "conventional heat" just doesn't. Of course cooking food in general does break them down, but obviously we have to cook a lot of our food. No need to add a nutrient destroying device to it.

And now that I'm getting into healthy eating, I can feel the difference. When I microwave something, I'm hungry again a couple of hours sooner. Depending on the meal (even healthy meals) I'll often feel tired or have somewhat unsettled guts after microwaving. I noticed that if I don't microwave, I just don't get those 2 drawbacks. So given my own experience, and reading up on it, I've decided to just skip the microwave. There does seem to be some options out there to replace it. Although they may not fit perfectly into your kitchen like a microwave will.

Why do all this? Got enough problems in life without food being one of them. Not when I can just eat right and feel much better.
      WH

Comment

I had a vegan whacko tell me one time that microwaves use radiation to cook your food. He said you were eating radiation which causes cancer so it's bad. He had some kind of $49 detox kit I could buy that'd cure me of it though.

Comment

Yeah you'll have to weed through some trash to do your due diligence on the subject. But I'm satisfied enough to say that I won't be using mine anymore. Just my .02
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post

They have a bad habit of destroying a lot of nutrients
            I wouldn't call it a bad habit, but yes, microwaves do break down some nutrients (not all).

that "conventional heat" just doesn't.
            Absolutely, completely, totally, 1000% FALSE. 5 minutes of googling would turn this theory on it's head.

Of course cooking food in general does break them down, but obviously we have to cook a lot of our food. No need to add a nutrient destroying device to it.
            Do you even read what you write? HEAT destroys nutrients. Period. End of story. Does a Nuwave oven produce heat? Yes, yes it does. Does an open (or coiled) burner produce heat? Yes, it does. Does your oven (convection or conventional) produce heat? Yes, yes it does.

A microwave isn't some "magical nutrient destroying device" A microwave produces emits microwaves that in turn cause water molecules to move, which creates heat. Much like many other kitchen appliances. As such, nutrients get destroyed in the process of cooking. It happens in EVERY method of cooking in which heat is used. It happens over fire, over steam, over/under radiant heat, and in a microwave.

And now that I'm getting into healthy eating, I can feel the difference.
            No you can't.

When I microwave something, I'm hungry again a couple of hours sooner.
            lolcopter

Depending on the meal (even healthy meals) I'll often feel tired or have somewhat unsettled guts after microwaving. I noticed that if I don't microwave, I just don't get those 2 drawbacks.

This is completely, and entirely in your head (unless you have a pacemaker). You have read so much (or so little) on this topic, that you have convinced yourself that you feel bad after using a microwave.

You're entitled to think what you want, regardless of how misinformed or misguided it may be. But with that said, almost everything you posted above is factually incorrect and/or completely made up. But if you're going to get rid of the microwave for being a "nutrient destroying device", you'll want to toss out your pots, pans, pyrex, oven, and stove top too. The best way to eat vegetables is raw.

Comment

On another note, the RF from my iphone inflames my joints, apple watch also did it so I don't wear one anymore
              Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

All I can really say is just check it out via google. If you do enough reading on the subject, and you care about eating right, you won't want your microwave anymore. They have a bad habit of destroying a lot of nutrients, that "conventional heat" just doesn't. Of course cooking food in general does break them down, but obviously we have to cook a lot of our food. No need to add a nutrient destroying device to it.

And now that I'm getting into healthy eating, I can feel the difference. When I microwave something, I'm hungry again a couple of hours sooner. Depending on the meal (even healthy meals) I'll often feel tired or have somewhat unsettled guts after microwaving. I noticed that if I don't microwave, I just don't get those 2 drawbacks. So given my own experience, and reading up on it, I've decided to just skip the microwave. There does seem to be some options out there to replace it. Although they may not fit perfectly into your kitchen like a microwave will.

Why do all this? Got enough problems in life without food being one of them. Not when I can just eat right and feel much better.
                I do not own a microwave. I don't see how microwaves agitating water would make the food lose nutrients more than putting fire on it.

**EDIT** I should have kept reading and saw bcoops response.

Comment

Have you heard about using your dishwasher to cook food? I bet it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    I wouldn't call it a bad habit, but yes, microwaves do break down some nutrients (not all).

Absolutely, completely, totally, 1000% FALSE. 5 minutes of googling would turn this theory on it's head.

Do you even read what you write? HEAT destroys nutrients. Period. End of story. Does a Nuwave oven produce heat? Yes, yes it does. Does an open (or coiled) burner produce heat? Yes, it does. Does your oven (convection or conventional) produce heat? Yes, yes it does.

A microwave isn't some "magical nutrient destroying device" A microwave produces emits microwaves that in turn cause water molecules to move, which creates heat. Much like many other kitchen appliances. As such, nutrients get destroyed in the process of cooking. It happens in EVERY method of cooking in which heat is used. It happens over fire, over steam, over/under radiant heat, and in a microwave.

No you can't.

lolcopter

This is completely, and entirely in your head (unless you have a pacemaker). You have read so much (or so little) on this topic, that you have convinced yourself that you feel bad after using a microwave.

You're entitled to think what you want, regardless of how misinformed or misguided it may be. But with that said, almost everything you posted above is factually incorrect and/or completely made up.

Read the thread you replied to. And this time, try to understand what you've read. Just to pluck out one of the things you misunderstood, I said that even normal heat does break some nutrients down. I would think that would be obvious, but hey. Go back and reread.
                    WH

Comment

Read the thread you replied to. And this time, try to understand what you've read. Just to pluck out one of the things you misunderstood, I said that even normal heat does break some nutrients down. I would think that would be obvious, but hey. Go back and reread.
                      You said

They have a bad habit of destroying a lot of nutrients that "conventional heat" just doesn't.
                      Which is absolutely false. Perhaps you should re read what you posted. You then furthered the idiocy with this.

Of course cooking food in general does break them down, but obviously we have to cook a lot of our food. No need to add a nutrient destroying device to it.

The first part is true, the second part is ignorant. You're so hung up on "microwaves are the devil" that you can't see that any heat whatsoever is going to kill the same amount of nutrients no matter the method. The longer vegetables are being heated, the more nutrients you're going to kill, no matter what way they are cooked.

I'm not a fan of residential microwaves. The only thing mine gets used for is popcorn, as a matter of fact. But it has nothing to do with some made up fallacy that a microwave is a "nutrient destroying device".

Perhaps you should visit some actual reputable sites for this type of information. Like WebMD, for instance.

Healthy recipes for healthy meals, find thousands of delicious recipes.

Comment

Ignoring all of the tin foil hat, microwave stuff.. Just get a counter-top convection oven..

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          They do cook 20-25% faster than a standard oven. They are more precise when it comes to temperature. A standard oven will have a thermostat that can be +/- 25 degrees, whereas a convection oven will have a tighter swing, say +/- 5 degrees or so. Convection ovens, when designed properly, are better for precision cooking/baking due to the air flow. You don't have to turn pans halfway through a bake/cook for even browning, etc.
                          I haven't been able to see a difference, but I gave up after a few tries. A Lou Malnati's pan pizza actually cooks faster and more evenly on the regular bake setting on this oven, so I was left scratching my head. Pretty sure mine uses the same thermostats for either setting, too. Altitude fucks with everything up here, though, so I'll blame it on that.

Comment

I'm vegan
                            THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                              I'm vegan
                              No you aint
                              WH

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                                I haven't been able to see a difference, but I gave up after a few tries. A Lou Malnati's pan pizza actually cooks faster and more evenly on the regular bake setting on this oven, so I was left scratching my head. Pretty sure mine uses the same thermostats for either setting, too. Altitude fucks with everything up here, though, so I'll blame it on that.
                                Damnit. Now I want me some.

Comment

Working...
                                X