No announcement yet.

Want to buy an older dodge diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, I'd find a nice 08-09. Money isn't much more, better transmission if wanting auto. A lot more quite. Better truck over all. I had a 06 that was great minus ac shit, but the 6.7 is a great truck. You do get all the Dodge suspension and brake problems, but it is a good truck

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
      My 2004 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gets 9.3-10.7 empty or loaded so I know that pain.
      I had an 2004 Yukon XL Denali, 2500 AWD with the 6.0L and it got single digits as well. That V10 pulls as well as my 6.0L powerjoke, but my god does the MPG hurt.

Comment

I still have my 2005 quad cab SLT. I am the original owner and it has 179k miles. The flapper door in the dash fell off and that was warrantied. I have put a water pump on it, replaced the transfer case shifter bushing and I have done the Bosch/GM sensor upgrade inside the transmission. The dash is perfect but the truck has spent five days of the week of its entire 13 year life in a parking garage. I have a 2016 SLT with 46,000 miles on it that I keep in storage, I drive this 2005 instead because I enjoy it more.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I wish I had kept my 04, but that damn thing would have 700-800k on it and would be completely ragged out.

I've fantasized about a 95-02 quad, lwb, 4x4, but remember what the truck body is, the issues they are likely to have (tranny, front and rear ends, steering components, etc) and shy away.

I ended up buying a half ton, and it works for what I need 95% of the time.

Comment

Wound up with a 2007, 175K on the clock.

I'm getting it cleaned up, will post pics when I'm done.

5" exhaust that I put a muffler on this morning (it was straight), came with a Smarty, S&B cold air kit, leveling kit, 35's on 20" wheels.

I also put new (factory) headlights in this morning, getting a PDR guy push a few dings out, taking out the kicker 10's and phoenix gold amp, and giving it a bath.
            Sumbitch lived in the country and drove down dirt roads with the windows down, A LOT.

Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

...and pillar gauges for boost, egt & trans temp, which I forgot to mention.
              Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

5.9 or 6.7? How much? Either way that will be a great truck for you. Upgrade to the 09 tie rod/drag link setup if it ain’t done already. The best single upgrade you could ever do to that truck is Sulastic shackles. Look them up. They make a world of difference in ride quality. Thuren front coils help a bunch too. Nice find.

Comment

5.9 for 17k. I was struggling trying to find anything close to that price point.

Just saw a 2007 listed yesterday with 56Kmi for $34,000... just an example of the spectrum of choices. I was practically on my way to Dallas for a different truck but when I ran the CarFax it showed a major discrepancy in the mileage as recorded at service intervals, rolled back some 70,000 miles; how, I don't presume to know, but when you see the mileage climb through the life of the vehicle on CarFax and then it's suddenly 70K less and starts climbing again?

Low mileage 3rd gens are expensive!

Thanks for the shackle & Thuren recs, had heard of Thuren before.

Will look for the '09 tie rod & drag link in my searches.

Comment

The newer tie rod design (what jv106) mentions will reduce bump steer and make it a much more pleasant driving truck. It helps with death wobble as well. At that mileage, if it's not had front end parts, check the ball joints and tie rods.

And congrats on a good looking truck.

Comment

You got a good deal, that would bring over 20 in Nashville TN region. I'd like another 5.9 truck. I had a 06 that was great except the damn AC

Comment

Your steering setup should be y-style. You’ll want T-style. That might help with your search. That’s a tough truck that will serve you well. I’ll be sad to let mine go.

Comment

Just to update the thread, I added the sulastic shackles and thuren 2" soft ride coils, it's a completely different ride.

Went with stock wheels on 35's, added fender flares and built some side steps for it.

I mentioned that I put a muffler on it but it was really just a resonator and didn't do enough for me so I put a 51" school bus muffler under it, still 5" in and out, unchambered, a good deal quieter.

sold the headache rack (which I regret, slightly), the black wheels, the light bar and the chrome side steps

Comment

Not a fan of Dodges, but that looks good. Very clean.

Comment

I need a bigger tow rig and looking at the 04-06 Cummins. That 4.8 Silverado just ain't doing it with the the new 21ft center console boat. My wife said I could trade or sell her Escalade for one! Woohoo.

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post
                                Just to update the thread, I added the sulastic shackles and thuren 2" soft ride coils, it's a completely different ride.

Went with stock wheels on 35's, added fender flares and built some side steps for it.

I mentioned that I put a muffler on it but it was really just a resonator and didn't do enough for me so I put a 51" school bus muffler under it, still 5" in and out, unchambered, a good deal quieter.

sold the headache rack (which I regret, slightly), the black wheels, the light bar and the chrome side steps

Those shackles and coils make a helluva difference. Glad you like them. Bilstein shocks help too. I’ve heard cutting the length of the overload leaf spring makes a big difference too. But you’ll want to put airbags on it. I put the airbags on mine but haven’t cut the overload.

Nice truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X