Smoked Pastrami...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Pastrami...?

I've got a brisket flat sitting in a brine to give pastrami a shot for the first time. I plan to smoke it pretty similar to a regular brisket but wanted to know if there is anything I need to look out for.

Are there any traps with these things or is it really as straight forward as a brisket with the addition of a week long "pickling"?

Total failure. Taste was ok but it was way too dry. I cooked it a little hot and it was a flat only.

Thank got I had a backup brisket and burnt ends.

Comment

Sucks to hear, I may have to give it a try.
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
        Sucks to hear, I may have to give it a try.
        It could certainly be done better. I was cooking 3 different cuts at one time and cared least about the pastrami.

Comment

What temp did you run the smoker at and what temp did you pull it?

Stevo

Comment

My Chef buddy does 14 days of brining, 24 hours soak in cold water bath, 24 hours to lets seasoning set in.

Sounds like overkill to me, but it comes out fantastic.

Prep smoker details - https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...-beef-pastrami
            WRX

Comment

What temp did you run the smoker at and what temp did you pull it?
              275, pulled at 210.

I will say this recipe said to cook lower. But I had another large prime brisket on there and I always cook at 275 so I gave preference to the full packer and not the pastrami

Comment

210? That seems really hot as most brisket would only go to 203 tops!

Stevo

Comment

210 for pastrami is way too high.

you should pull pastrami at 150-160

Comment

210? That seems really hot as most brisket would only go to 203 tops!
                    203 is only cited so much because of Aaron Franklin and even he says it can be anywhere from 200 to 210 in order to be "done". I'm going by the "jiggle" and my briskets have always came out great.

But I would say it's high for a pastrami flat.

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                    210 for pastrami is way too high.

you should pull pastrami at 150-160

There are actually a number of reputable sources that list 200 as the pulling temp...but i would certainly pull at the very early signs of that in the future and probably foil wrap instead of butcher paper wrap. It was also at that temp for longer than it should have been. I wasnt paying close enough attention for sure.

Comment

I’ve done same thing to briskets. Solution crutch it at 160 degrees. This will keep it from drying out. A brisket flat cooked to 160 is gonna be tough as a tire. It’s actually a crappy piece of meat but cooked to 205 internal it will break down and tenderize. Keep the fat cap up also helps!Happy smokin

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                        203 is only cited so much because of Aaron Franklin and even he says it can be anywhere from 200 to 210 in order to be "done". I'm going by the "jiggle" and my briskets have always came out great.

But I would say it's high for a pastrami flat.

There are actually a number of reputable sources that list 200 as the pulling temp...but i would certainly pull at the very early signs of that in the future and probably foil wrap instead of butcher paper wrap. It was also at that temp for longer than it should have been. I wasnt paying close enough attention for sure.
                        Been cooking briskets to 200+ since before Aaron Franklin. In no way saying I started it, as I most certainly did not. But that has been around a lot longer than his rise to BBQ royalty.

I’ve yet to try pastrami, but most of what I’ve read and trust ranges from 150-165 IT, at the thickest part. I think you oversmoked it. Also being a flat only, that isn’t helping with moisture.

You can steam post smoke, too. You can take that up to 200 with steam if desired. Did you soak in fresh water to rinse off the cure, prior to rubbing? You need to.

Crutch not necessary and fat cap up/down varies based on your heat source. If heat source is below, you should go far cap down. If to the side, it’s a toss up. I’ve aleays done cap up until I went to an egg, and now do cap down.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          Been cooking briskets to 200+ since before Aaron Franklin. In no way saying I started it, as I most certainly did not. But that has been around a lot longer than his rise to BBQ royalty.

I’ve yet to try pastrami, but most of what I’ve read and trust ranges from 150-165 IT, at the thickest part. I think you oversmoked it. Also being a flat only, that isn’t helping with moisture.

You can steam post smoke, too. You can take that up to 200 with steam if desired. Did you soak in fresh water to rinse off the cure, prior to rubbing? You need to.

Crutch not necessary and fat cap up/down varies based on your heat source. If heat source is below, you should go far cap down. If to the side, it’s a toss up. I’ve aleays done cap up until I went to an egg, and now do cap down.
                          I was referring specifically to the 203 number. Not 200+, but precisely 203 as the "done" temperature. Maybe it's been around longer, but that exact number is very closely tied to Franklin.

Regardless, It was undoubtedly over smoked, I guess my only unknown is what is considered the right temperature.

Almost every single source I looked at was 200+ and it wasnt from some crappy facebook group. This is from well known experts in the field. I think if I tried again I would do 195ish...or i may even do 2 and pull one at 165, and the other at 195-200. I may also use foil instead of butcher paper.

I actually don't even care much for pastrami...now it's just a challenge I have to conquer.

Comment

Working...
                          X