Oil capacity of deep sump pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil capacity of deep sump pan

I'm trying to button up my 302 build and this weekend I filled it with oil in preparation for break in. I run a Moroso 7qt deep sump pan. I poured about half a qt in the filter and spun it on. I dumped the rest of the 7qts thru the fill tube and it doesn't even wet the tip of the stick. What gives? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I've searched the internet but there are no definite answers.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    --carlos

sigpic

Sounds like the engine is trash... bring it to me and I'll dispose of it.

If you still have original pan check to see if they are the same depth, you might need a longer stick (that's what she said).
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

My thoughts exactly.... already put it out on the curb.

I was under the impression that the stock dipstick should and would work.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

What matters is if it will keep the pickup covered while operating. The pick up should be installed about .250” off the bottom of the pan. As long as it isn’t ever exposed you can run as much or as little oil as you like. Less oil is better as long as the pan doesn’t go dry at high rpm and the temps stay reasonable. By better I mean it helps keep oil off the crank and that increases power.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

So I shouldn't worry that it doesn't register on the dipstick, therefore, never being able to check oil level.

--carlos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post
            So I shouldn't worry that it doesn't register on the dipstick, therefore, never being able to check oil level.

Buy a longer dipstick and mark it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by projectPONY View Post

Depends on how often you want to change it. If this is a drag race only car it will almost never matter unless you have piston or ring problems. If it is a driver I would get a longer stick for it. If this a SBF double pan with dual drain plugs, make sure and run it for a while to fill the front sump before you mark the stick.
              Last edited by Broncojohnny; 02-25-2019, 10:57 PM.
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

7 quart pan

I put one of these on a Foxbody several years ago. We shortened the tube until the stick touched the bottom of the pan, and then put in the right amount of oil and marked the dipstick with a file.

Comment

put another half a quart in.

start cutting a little bit at a time off the dipstick tube until the level is correct on the dipstick.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                  X