Water Heater ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater ?

I have a 50 gallon W.O. Smif water heater (gas). It has a Honeywell head unit, do those things ever need a battery of some sort to operate the piezo ignitor as well as to run the L.E.D. status light?

I've had to re-set the pilot light three times in the last month. Now, two of the times, I had my cars running (they back into the garage) adjusting the lights on the 5.0 and yesterday after an oil change on the '17, my plumber friend sez its the carbon monoxide sensor cutting off the pilot light. Both times I had the cars running with the garage doors close but only for a few minutes, bot cars have dual exhaust that are only a few inches from the WH, anyone?

A new head unit is around $200.00ish but a new WH is $400.00ish, its also only a little over 4 yrs old.
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Only here for the adjusting the headlight part. Bout f’n time. HahahahAhahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
      Only here for the adjusting the headlight part. Bout f’n time. HahahahAhahaha
      Bitch, I had to wait til I installed my new HL housings, besides old ass dOOds can't see at night, hahaha!
      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Your thermocouple could be going out.

The pilot light on ours would just randomly go off and would be fine after relighting. But the problem got progressively worse. Its an easy replacement

Comment

I'd clean the thermocouple up with some scotch brite before replacing. He may be on to something about carbon monoxide, but I'm no plumber.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I saw a video looks pretty easy to do, where could one get that part locally, Grainger?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
              I saw a video looks pretty easy to do, where could one get that part locally, Grainger?
              I think you can only get that AO Smith brand from plumbers. If the ignition module is Honeywell, there’s a better than good chance that the thermocouple is too. If that’s the case, HD, Lowe’s, Ferguson, Morrison Supply should have it. You might try Locke Supply too.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

A generic one from Lowe’s worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                  I think you can only get that AO Smith brand from plumbers. If the ignition module is Honeywell, there’s a better than good chance that the thermocouple is too. If that’s the case, HD, Lowe’s, Ferguson, Morrison Supply should have it. You might try Locke Supply too.
                  Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                  A generic one from Lowe’s worked for me.
                  Thanks guys.

I'm gonna go buy one today, Lowes has a Whirlpool model that has everything from the box down. They call it a WP tune up kit for $49.00.

Comment

Sounds like it is about ready to explode, get a new one ASAP!

Comment

Hahaha, that's what my wife thinks. I'll sped a $50.00 spot and see if I can fix it before I drop $1K...

Comment

So you'll now end up spending $1050

Comment

Yes!
                          Or it could be just $50.00 or I could blow up for being a cheap ass...

Comment

i warmed the truck up in the garage a few months back. the exhaust points straight at the water heater. i had to take a cold shower. i re-fired the pilot light and havent had an issue since. so there maybe something to the carbon monoxide....

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              I'd clean the thermocouple up with some scotch brite before replacing. He may be on to something about carbon monoxide, but I'm no plumber.
                              We'll, I cleaned the thermocouple and a few other parts and re-installed it. It's been working fine ever since (3-17). The part I bought was different so I returned it and rolled the dice, thanks Brent, so far so good...

Comment

Working...
                              X