Screwed up a perfectly good hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwed up a perfectly good hood

Recently I had my motor all apart to fix bad/leaky gaskets, and to repaint the engine, at least that part went well. Today finished it, took it for a spin to check for leaks and an spirited bit of driving and some wheel hop popped the hood loose from the hood catch and it flew up. Now it is more than likely trash, at least as far as ever being straight again. Here is some pics.

Right after it happenned

other side

removed it

This is a horrible picture but it shows how much the hinges flexed, and this was at low speed, although driving into a headwind.

Here you can see how far the hood bracing is from the hood skin, sorry I had no DP can nearby for proper scale.

After some hammering from some guy at the Balsly Speed Shop, the bracing is pretty close to the skin, but the skin is going to have issues with looking flat again.

And here is what it looked like before hand. The grill was the next item to fix ( well maybe a 5 speed first), but now both will wait.

Orange-ya mad your hood flew up?

Comment

Had the same thing happen on my 69, sucks man.

Comment

Dude, that fucking sucks.

Comment

Same thing happen to my on my old 84 stang way back in the day. Sucks man.

Comment

Did it catch the roof/top? Had the same thing happen to me a long time ago. Trashed hood, windshield, and front part of the roof/top. Sucks.

Comment

Luckily it stopped when it was pointed straight up. My overall speed wasn't very high, though the rate of acceleration was.

Also on the bright side of things, the factory single snorkel air cleaner fits now, it used to rub the hood.

Comment

Well that car looks great, always been a fan of 67/68 cougars.

Comment

I bet you were pissed!

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedD1 View Post
                    Did it catch the roof/top? Had the same thing happen to me a long time ago. Trashed hood, windshield, and front part of the roof/top. Sucks.
                    Yeah, if it's just the hood, count your lucky stars it didn't get the windshield or roof.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                      Yeah, if it's just the hood, count your lucky stars it didn't get the windshield or roof.
                      Yeah that would've been extremely pricey. I am also lucky the hinges didn't rip out the threads on the fender apron, which has been known to happen.

Originally posted by UserX;
                      I bet you were pissed!
                      At first I was, then I had more of a punched in the gut feeling, which got better with beer consumption.

There are currently two Cougars on craigslist being parted out, both missing hoods. So next is a trip to CTC Ranch in Sanger, they want $350 for a hood, and I'm sure those will need some work as well. And once a hood is found, I wonder how well the paint will match the rest of the car.

Comment

Hate it when that happens.
                        Sucks that it happened to that car. Nice ass ride. Mine is a shitty daily.

Comment

That sucks man. On a side note, I'm glad to see that you still have the cougar. Nobody seems to keep stuff. Well, besides you and me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                            Yeah that would've been extremely pricey. I am also lucky the hinges didn't rip out the threads on the fender apron, which has been known to happen.

At first I was, then I had more of a punched in the gut feeling, which got better with beer consumption.

There are currently two Cougars on craigslist being parted out, both missing hoods. So next is a trip to CTC Ranch in Sanger, they want $350 for a hood, and I'm sure those will need some work as well. And once a hood is found, I wonder how well the paint will match the rest of the car.
                            A good painter can mix the color and it will be right. I got to see a really pricey computer that would calculate the color (similar to he home depot color deal) do its work the other day, it was badass!
                            Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                            That sucks man. On a side note, I'm glad to see that you still have the cougar. Nobody seems to keep stuff. Well, besides you and me anyway.
                            I have mine.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                              A good painter can mix the color and it will be right. I got to see a really pricey computer that would calculate the color (similar to he home depot color deal) do its work the other day, it was badass!
                              For some reason the only sounds I am hearing involving this hood is "CHOOOOOO$$$$$ CHHOOOOOOOO$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!"

What store or shop had this paint match computer?

Comment

Working...
                              X