Cummins crate engine now available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cummins crate engine now available

Order Cummins part number 5467046, watch $9k leave your bank account, and get a 2.8L crate engine with ECM, harness, dash display (looks like a Murphy PV-101), etc delivered to your door. They're even doing free shipping through next week.
    (It's the ISF2.8 rebranded as the R2.8 for repower apps)
    540 lbs, so around 300 lbs lighter than the 4BT that used to be the hot diesel swap.

Not all engines are crated equally. When critical components such as fuel pumps, filters, accessories, starters, and flywheels aren’t included in an engine package, you have to piece together these components from various manufacturers, hoping for the best. For the vehicle specific components not included with our R2.8 Turbo Diesel, such as motor mounts and cooling packages, we help you by including the most thorough installation guide and owner’s toolkit available in the crate market, as well as on-call support from Cummins Care. A team of dedicated enthusiasts is standing by to help.

The R2.8 Turbo Diesel is a powerful 2.8-liter 4-cylinder engine targeted as a cleaner and more efficient alternative to many older original gasoline and diesel engines used in iconic small pickups, SUV's, and 4x4's that are beyond their useful life*. The combination of low end torque, low fuel consumption, low engine operating temperatures, modern high-pressure common rail fuel injection, and compact packaging makes the R2.8 Turbo Diesel the ideal engine to power your project wherever your adventure may take you.

Our team of Enthusiasts have put together a package that provides you everything you need to start your engine with the exception of a battery, cooling package, and of course, diesel fuel to get your new Cummins running as quickly as possible. Below is what is included in your crate engine kit:

PN 5467046 includes:
    • R2.8 Turbo Diesel engine assembly
    • Complete front-end accessory drive (Alternator, Power Steering Pump, Fan Hub, Serpentine Belt)
    • Cam-Driven Vacuum Pump
    • Remote Fuel Filter/Water Separator
    • Remote Oil Filter
    • Mass Airflow Sensor and Housing
    • Engine Wiring Harness and Engine Control Module
    • Starter
    • Flywheel
    • Universal Vehicle Wiring Harness (not including starter wiring)
    • Throttle Pedal
    • J1939 CAN Dash Display
    • Owner’s Manual**
    • Installation Guide**
    • Cummins Quick Serve Online Access**
    • Emissions Testing Information
    Last edited by Strychnine; 10-30-2017, 10:19 PM.

How many times did I message you asking about 4cyl engines? This is genius!
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Damn. I did a 3.0 L OM617 A I5 turbodiesel engine swap into an 1986 Defender 90 and this would have been cheaper once all was said and done.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I didnt read the fine print. Sorry, gents.

Due to state / provincial law restrictions, these engines are not currently available for purchase in the state of Texas or the province of Quebec.

Comment

Im trying to figure out what a good home for a 4bt would be...
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

That is more than double the power of the early diesel Ranger and more power than the most powerful 4cly Ranger ever offered.
            Last edited by Rick Modena; 11-01-2017, 03:20 PM.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
              That is more than double the power of the early diesel Ranger and more power than the most powerful 4cly Ranger ever offered.
              But if you actually compare it to a modern turbo 4cyl...its still very under powered. You can't compare to a discontinued product line.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                I didnt read the fine print. Sorry, gents.
                Texas was the last place I expected to be excluded...wonder what the specific law is.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  But if you actually compare it to a modern turbo 4cyl...its still very under powered. You can't compare to a discontinued product line.
                  Maybe you can point out the modern turbo 4cly gas or diesel engine that Ford installed into Rangers so we can compare them to each other or the one that Ford sells over the counter as a retrofit for the earlier diesels.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                    Maybe you can point out the modern turbo 4cly gas or diesel engine that Ford installed into Rangers so we can compare them to each other.
                    That's a strawman. Maybe you can point to the modern diesel engine ford installed into the ranger...see how poor that point is?

Comment

That's a strawman. Maybe you can point to the modern diesel engine ford installed into the ranger...see how poor that point is?
                      Ford does offer a diesel in the Ranger that you can buy today everywhere in the world but here and it makes 20 percent less power in the base model. The top tier models make the same power as the Cummins.

Edit:https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/price-an...NG/?code=CD220
                      Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 10-31-2017, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Texas was the last place I expected to be excluded...wonder what the specific law is.
                        It's Cummins covering their ass on emissions regs for sure. With their target market being repowers this engine is only Tier 0 / Tier 1 emissions certified right now, which means legally it shouldn't be put in anything newer than 1999/2000 model year vehicle.

There's a lot of shit with EPA engine family accounting, 40 CFR Part 86 testing, CARB Executive Orders, etc that go into certifying an entire diesel engine line for production and sale., but I still can't figure out why TX is the only outlier. If it's CA legal right now it should be 50-state legal given how CARB works, but TCEQ (Texas Commission on Environmental Quality) and TERP (Texas Emissions Reduction Program) do have some pretty specific rules about repowers and retrofits. I know that if you're replacing an older engine with a newer model (retrofit by their definition), you have to demonstrate at 25% NOx (g/bhp-hr) reduction from the baseline engine... maybe it has something to do with that? But it's CA legal

IMO, it should be a "buy and install at your own risk" thing, but apparently the Tier 2 CARB EO is in the works right now, which would bump that up to model year 2008 or so. Maybe TX legal after that?
                        Last edited by Strychnine; 10-31-2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

You being an engineer and all maybe you could go kick some ass at Ford and show them what they did wrong since the diesels they install in Rangers being sold this very day do not meet your standards.

Comment

An ecoboost Mustang makes 310hp at 5500 rpm and 320 ft lbs of torque at 3000 rpm. The Focus RS version makes another 40hp. You make a valid point but maximum power levels aren't everything. The Cummins has a flat torque curve that peaks out at 2000 rpm. So from idle to 2500 rpm or so the diesel makes more usable power.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                              An ecoboost Mustang makes 310hp at 5500 rpm and 320 ft lbs of torque at 3000 rpm. The Focus RS version makes another 40hp. You make a valid point but maximum power levels aren't everything. The Cummins has a flat torque curve that peaks out at 2000 rpm. So from idle to 2500 rpm or so the diesel makes more usable power.
                              I totally agree with where you're coming from, though suppose this is to go in an older Ranger to make it more "usable," for the money you'd have in the swap you can get a full-size V8 (maybe diesel, I haven't priced 'em) pickup with more towing, passenger, and bed capacity. This is a niche engine for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X