Cummins crate engine now available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
    You being an engineer and all maybe you could go kick some ass at Ford and show them what they did wrong since the diesels they install in Rangers being sold this very day do not meet your standards.
    I'm sure puttin in the ruff can whip up a QC program so Ford can finally compete in a global economy

Comment

My 2.1 diesel is 195hp 369tq
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
        An ecoboost Mustang makes 310hp at 5500 rpm and 320 ft lbs of torque at 3000 rpm. The Focus RS version makes another 40hp. You make a valid point but maximum power levels aren't everything. The Cummins has a flat torque curve that peaks out at 2000 rpm. So from idle to 2500 rpm or so the diesel makes more usable power.
        The torque curve in the 2.7L ecoboost is actually pretty flat and probably exceeds the R2.8 in all cases.

But I agree with Aaron...this is likely a niche market engine that isn't going to be purchased for torque/power ratings alone.

Comment

It's underpowered for any kind of heavy vehicle not to mention waaaaay overpriced. Would maybe be ok in a yota or sami in an off-road application.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Jeep guys will be all over this. Those poor bastards hemorrhage money owning those things and $9k is nothing.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

The diesel revolution is dead. Europe is killing off diesel car sales with new laws, no thanks to the volkswagon scandal among other factors, and other technologies out now such as Mazda's new engine have many of the best benefits of diesels without the problems.

You will see diesel used in industrial applications for decades to come though.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
                The diesel revolution is dead. Europe is killing off diesel car sales with new laws, no thanks to the volkswagon scandal among other factors, and other technologies out now such as Mazda's new engine have many of the best benefits of diesels without the problems.

You will see diesel used in industrial applications for decades to come though.
                Just some thoughts:
                When you say "Europe is killing off diesel car sales with new laws" I think it's more fair to say, "Europe have some grand ideas, but there's a lot of work to be done before anything is killed off."
                France: "aims to end" the sale of gas or diesel vehicles by 2040
                Norway: Has an all-electric goal for new domestic car sales by 2025, but is fighting to remain one of the largest oil exporters on the planet, so...
                Volvo: Everyone reports it as them killing the IC engine by 2019, but really they just committed to hybrids, which is good but they still use IC
                Britain: Actually put it in writing for new sales by 2040, but with the 10-15 yr life cycle on autos that's 2050+ before they are carbon-fuel free
                Some cities have passed laws restricting cars built before a certain date, but that's far from a zero-tolerance mandate, it's all vehicles, not just diesels:
                The French capital has banned vehicles registered before the year 2000 in a bid to combat pollution in the city. A law introduced in Paris on Monday requires all cars to have a sticker indicating which of six categories it fits into — indicating the year of the vehicle's registration, its energy efficiency, and its emission quantity.
                Any diesel-run vehicle showing a 'Level 5' sticker on their windscreen, which indicates they were produced from 1997 to 2000, is not allowed on the road. Around six per cent of France's 32 million cars fall into this category. Vehicles registered from earlier than 1997 and trucks and buses from before 2001 are not assigned to any category, meaning they are completely banned from driving in the city from Monday to Friday between 8am and 8pm
                When you read stuff like this...
                Has the one-time wonder fuel become the new asbestos – not to say mustard gas?
                ... you know there's a bit of hyperbole going on.

Realistically: Yeah, passenger car (light-duty) diesel is dying a slow death. Hybrid and electric tech is gaining ground.
                Devil's Advocate: Without the short-term diesel product revenue those same manufacturers are going to have less cash to long-term invest in zero-emissions R&D.
                Big picture: LD could die off completely, but for HD and HHP diesel (from OTR trucking up to industrial off-highway and power-gen) there just isn't any substitute on the horizon.

Full disclosure: I'm actually moving to Houston, again, in a couple weeks to get out of upstream O&G and back in to the diesel-specific world and specialize in renewable, low CO2 / low NOx fuels to meet and combat some of that legislative pushback

Comment

Matt, any insight into why the auto industry doesnt use a small turbo-diesel electric hybrid?
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    Matt, any insight into why the auto industry doesnt use a small turbo-diesel electric hybrid?
                    Stepping back a bit, in the HD world that stuff is coming. I know Cummins has a hybrid system in the works for HD truck engines. Not the full-electric truck they debuted a month or two ago, but a hybrid solution that will use a diesel engine, battery storage, and a drive between the engine and transmission to put power back into the system when needed (picture an extended flywheel housing). I can't find any pics online, but between you and me (us) it was known within Cummins back in 2014 or earlier (when I was still there). If other engine manufacturers aren't working on something similar then they're at least a decade behind.

Looking at an engine builder, not a car company, the smaller the engine the lower the margin. They need to roll out the tech with higher margins (i.e. room for error and better warranty accruals) to OEMs who are willing to work with them (e.g. HD trucks through Perterbilt and Rush truck centers, rather than Chrysler and every damn dealer out there).

I think for smaller (LD/MR) stuff there are definitely projects in the works already. Think about the V8 Cummins in the Titan. That engine development was started back in the 1990s with DOE funding, and wasn't made available for sale until 2016. It will come, but it will be staged so that investors can swallow potential losses along the way without losing confidence. I wouldn't be surprised if a LD truck / passenger car diesel hybrid like that was debuted in the next couple years.

EDIT: This

The CorePlus is still in development and testing, but could rapidly become the kind of device that defines the next generation of trucks and machinery.

By integrating between the engine and transmission, it can take in energy output from the flywheel, add it to the total power output or shuttle it off to storage in a variety of different battery technologies. Then when needed, the stored energy can be routed back through the CorePlus to the driveline or accessories. It can also be configured to absorb energy out of transmission and braking systems.

The CorePlus model featured here can generate up to 90 kilowatts of power for immediate use or storage
                    Last edited by Strychnine; 11-01-2017, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, in LaLaland, Tesla released earnings today and lost $16 million a day in the third quarter. If you look at their financials the company is basically insolvent, they have more short term liabilities than cash and accounts receivable and have had negative equity on their balance sheet for over a year.

Time to sell some more stock to the sheep I guess.
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                        The star of this week’s Qatar motor show will undoubtedly be Volkswagen’s “one-liter car,” the diesel hybrid XL1, which is able to achieve more than 300 mpg

IIRC they built 200 of em. Of course for some reason, it naturally has to disappear never to be seen or heard from again. Then 20 years later some other company with have something similar at their dealerships.
                        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                          Meanwhile, in LaLaland, Tesla released earnings today and lost $16 million a day in the third quarter. If you look at their financials the company is basically insolvent, they have more short term liabilities than cash and accounts receivable and have had negative equity on their balance sheet for over a year.

This shit blows my mind...any business can grow revenue if they are selling at a perpetual loss. I can't imagine how big the losses will be when there are 200K model 3s on the road under warranty...with another 200K to be produced.

All while the majors slowly erode their market share as Tesla has continued delays.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            This shit blows my mind...any business can grow revenue if they are selling at a perpetual loss. I can't imagine how big the losses will be when there are 200K model 3s on the road under warranty...with another 200K to be produced.

All while the majors slowly erode their market share as Tesla has continued delays.

So why in the hell do I get ridiculed to hell and and back when I tell y'all that Musk is full of shit?
                            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                              So why in the hell do I get ridiculed to hell and and back when I tell y'all that Musk is full of shit?
                              You get ridiculed because you are full of shit. You're a pathological liar that can't just have a normal conversation without some extravagant bull shit story.

You specifically got shit in this case because you pretended to know the engineering details of the Tesla motors and said they are the same as your pool pumps. You also tried to pretend you knew about rocket design.

Comment

^^^ Lmao!
                                Originally posted by davbrucas
                                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
                                X